Hobbyboss 1/72 MS. 406 - finished

I’m waiting for my Pfalz fuselage to dry and it strikes me I haven’t built a simple low-wing monoplane fighter this year! To remedy that I have this:

87-FF1-BE8-FF50-4985-85-D6-3873-D9623321

I bought it for the Blitzbuild but didn’t have time in the end.

A5-F83-FF2-E713-4-B27-8925-1610465-D3-EF

I don’t fancy either of the colour schemes so I will use the transfers from a second-hand FROG kit which I built as a paint mule. If you are familiar with my builds, you will know that my tolerance for bad kits is quite high - the FROG 406 beat me before I even got the parts off the sprues!

The Hobbyboss kit, on the other hand, is lovely. I haven’t compared it to any plans and don’t intend to.

Anyhow, tape belts and different scheme/stickers, otherwise OOB - I mean it this time!

• Like 12

Well, OOB didn’t last long. If you look at the aircraft in the paint scheme, you can see that the undercarriage doors are on back to front:

61-A9-A1-B5-6-B95-4-C92-8030-FA8-A446-AB

If you assemble as instructed the door doesn’t fit in the slot in the wing or over the two pins on the legs. Thank goodness I dry fit!

It doesn’t fit the other way either, so you have to cut off the topmost pin on the undercarriage and the two leg alignment stubs on the back of the doors. Then the swapped door fits the right way round in the slot in the wing and over the lower leg pin, and it’s the right way around. While you are there, you might as well swap the legs over (they hang perpendicularly) so that the marginally more detailed face of the retraction strut faces forwards.

I do try!!

• Like 8
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Well the old FROG decals were - er - not the best:

D24-FCB0-F-3391-4-B18-B2-E3-AFF0-B3-BBD8

I’ve covered them in Decalfix and Decalsoft and I’m hoping that this will persuade them to settle down, so I can then touch up the white crescents on the roundels and the yellow outline on the donkey…

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

Adrian,

That was quick! Shame about the decals - looking lovely otherwise!

Cheers

Roger

• Thanks 1

Nice build shame about the decals. Decals from old kits and disintegrating ( and Roden kits) decals are always a problem.

I’ve had a bottle of micro scale liquid decals for ages and only finally used it on some old avro 504k decals which started to disintegrate on me and amazingly once dried the decals worked perfectly. It’s going to be my go to for old decal sheets. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

I haven’t compared it to any plans and don’t intend to.

Nice going so far.

I use Testors Decal Bond spray on all old decals.

Against plans it compares quite well. it's believed to be based on the Hase kit but tidied up a bit. I think I remember it needed a pitot tube and an aerial and that's about it.

You need to buy a few more to justify an after-market decal sheeet or if you just want one, APC make one

https://www.hobbyshop.cz/shop/en/1-72-decals-air/17334-apcr72034-morane-saulnier-ms-406-1-72-decal.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hard luck on the decals, but nice progress. The camouflage scheme looks very nice, particuarly given the lightning fast speed in which it's been applied! I'm tempted to get a few of these kits and force myself to just have fun, rather than getting bogged down for weeks endlessly filling and tinkering. I suspect I'd learn a fair amount about which operations lie on necessary and unnecessary sides of the border between good enough finish and just-a-little-too-slapdash.

• Thanks 1

The decals didn't break up. They simply refused to lie flat. Hey-ho.

24 minutes ago, Ed Russell said:

if you just want one, APC make one

Thanks Ed, I've used their stuff before, but this is going to get done today out of the spares box.

1 minute ago, Ngantek said:

force myself to just have fun

That's what this was all about (until the decals! :(). Still, I've got some spares that I can make work, and it WILL be finished before bedtime today! 

Regards,

Adrian

A little diversion in between tasks today:

10-D0-BE10-714-A-4-E21-86-E1-3-A2870369-

I will find some more roundels, paint the fin stripes, print the text for the fin markings and repair the logos and the 6-ball. Well, that’s the current plan (I’m on plan B now I guess)

• Like 6

Sadly the forces of work, true love, cooking and booking travel for my daughter to get home have conspired to push this out until tomorrow! So I’m looking at the wimpy three day option here…

[edit: We don’t know how lucky we are with the RAF roundel; types A to D with bright and dark red/blue options*. French roundels (or at least the ones they put in kits) seem to have an endless parade of ratios and shades of blue in them!]

[* until some nameless time in the 1980s(?) when they all went lo-vis…]

• Like 7

Back on the horse that bit me:

C3065162-F89-A-494-E-A839-83-A85-A98-DCA

MPM and Heller roundels. I will need to retouch the fuselage roundel with the lighter blue and possibly a larger central disk, and carry that over to the fin flash.

• Like 9

• AdrianMF changed the title to Hobbyboss 1/72 MS. 406 not-so-quickie

The fuselage roundel dot was smaller and darker than the wing ones. The wing ones were about 1/3 of the overall diameter (5/15mm) and so the fuselage centre dot needed to be 4mm out of 12. I stuck some masking tape over the 4mm hole in my scribing template and cut out the inner circle, applied it to the model and then painted 50:50 of Hu 247 and 248 (RLM 76 & 78 I think). Happy with that:

C118-F638-B5-BB-4442-8774-498-DE704-B7-D

[edit] I was going to get a shower and bed before midnight, but somehow I’ve ended up masking and painting the rudder instead:

4-D622-EE7-69-AD-4071-9-A04-3-B67-F78-BB

• Like 12

Some time with PowerPoint, fonts (Bahnschrift and Goldana) and Word and I’ve now got some laser printed decals:

86-D95-C3-C-0-A93-42-F9-A138-E83563-F83-

0-DDBAAB1-A534-498-F-9-BBD-E2-C42-B03-A7

Just the six ball and donkey to repair now, then I can get on and finish it.

• Like 8