1/48 F-104S ASA-M, 10˚Gruppo, 9˚Stormo, Italian Air Force. Finished 15/07.

DaveJL

Threw some paint about the place today. Firstly, the seat was completed, with ejection pulls added from a left over Quinta set. I used the link provided by @Giorgio N earlier in the thread for colours and details.

52182215586_4a4ce97bdf_b.jpg

52182465619_78ce51fc65_b.jpg

I then fitted the kit bracket, if that's the correct term to use 🙃

52182701980_8ec876e811_b.jpg

Missiles next, with all decals from a Tamiya F-14. Stencils for the AIM-7/Aspide fitted perfectly on the Kinetic part.

52182216346_6f6cd3bdfa_b.jpg

Finally, the kit was primed and polished. Only a couple of minor seams needed attending to which was great.

52182215941_4f3b18ffc8_b.jpg

52182218618_58c5e92607_b.jpg

Ready for a pre-shade now. I'll spray a black base layer into the undercarriage bays before spraying on and masking off the Aluminium (handily all the U/C parts minus the tyres are this colour so that makes life a lot easier!) I also need to spray the lower altimeter radar panel/hatch and pop on the mask from the New Ware sheet along with white for the nose cone. I'll paint the IFF/UHF panel aft of the cockpit after painting the airframe. 

More soon and stay safe

Dave

• Like 8

• DaveJL changed the title to 1/48 F-104S ASA-M, 10˚Gruppo, 9˚Stormo, Italian Air Force. Update 29/06.
46 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

She's looking really good Dave.

The missiles have turned out superbly, as usual, as has the ejection seat.

🇺🇦

Thanks Craig. I do like a 'busy' ejection seat!

28 minutes ago, franky boy said:

Just caught up with this one Dave. Lovely work. 

I hope you're setting plenty plenty of time aside for all those stencils!

James

Thanks James. Yes, I think the stencils may take a wee while!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Dansk said:

lovely work as usual dave. 👌

Cheers Paul!

6 hours ago, Sam said:

Bellissima! Great job Dave. I am really looking forward to the next steps of the paint job. 👍🏽

Thanks Sam, hope I don't disappoint!

Managed a couple of hours today. Firstly, painted the lower altimeter panel with MRP Hemp:

52184208378_b27280e776_b.jpg

Then on with the pre-shade. Rough as a badgers as usual but does the job! All the remaining undercarriage bits were given a squirt of paint too.

52183178527_6b6dcd15f2_b.jpg

52184203146_2ed7e694a5_b.jpg

52184203021_8265562c66_b.jpg

I'll spray and mask off the undercarriage bays and nose cone before getting the grey on.

More soon and stay safe

Dave

• Like 4

• DaveJL changed the title to 1/48 F-104S ASA-M, 10˚Gruppo, 9˚Stormo, Italian Air Force. Update 30/06.
15 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Good work Dave, the pre-shading should make a nicely varied finish.

🇺🇦

Cheers Craig, hopefully will make it look a bit more weather beaten!

• Like 1

Made some steady progress over the last couple of days. Firstly, I sprayed the undercarriage bays in MRP silver and masked. The nose was sprayed white and masked off before the main airframe was painted in MRP 'Modern Italian Sky Grey.' Sprayed beautifully as usual. Once that was dry, I sprayed the upper UHF/IFF panel and re-did the lower radar altimeter panel. I don't think hemp was quite yellow enough so ended up spraying MRP 'Middle Stone.' Worked a treat. The darker section of the nose soon followed, this being done with Tamiya XF-69 'NATO Black' - I was able to extend the colour up to the windscreen, correcting an error with the kit decal. I'd studied a few pictures of this area and couldn't decide if it was grey or faded black so I compromised with the colour. Some decals and weathering should blend it in nicely.

Bit of waffle there so some pictures:

52193708489_22532f829d_b.jpg

52193938950_ae7342affa_b.jpg

52193464723_e5a38dc63d_b.jpg

52193448621_7907772a78_b.jpg

All the undercarriage parts were also sprayed with MRP silver, with the outer skin of the doors being grey of course. A bit of a wash will finish these bits off before final assembly.

52193464948_093b46a0a1_b.jpg

My next two jobs will be to mask off and spray the black around the intakes and detail the exhaust, which I hope to do tomorrow.

More soon and stay safe

Dave

• Like 7

• DaveJL changed the title to 1/48 F-104S ASA-M, 10˚Gruppo, 9˚Stormo, Italian Air Force. Update 04/07.
54 minutes ago, DaveJL said:

MRP 'Modern Italian Sky Grey.' Sprayed beautifully as usual.

I've just bought some MRP paints Dave, what do you use for thinners and cleaning your airbrush?

Bob

2 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

I've just bought some MRP paints Dave, what do you use for thinners and cleaning your airbrush?

Bob

Hi Bob,

No need to thin them, just give them a good shake and spray away! I normally go for 16-18psi. They go on wonderfully with a couple of light coats and are dry within minutes. For clean up I use Mr Tool Cleaner.

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

She's looking great Dave, the paint has gone on very smoothly.

Very neat job masking the nose cone and anti-glare panel.

🇺🇦

Thanks Craig, I'm quite pleased with it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, DaveJL said:

No need to thin them, just give them a good shake and spray away! I normally go for 16-18psi. They go on wonderfully with a couple of light coats and are dry within minutes. For clean up I use Mr Tool Cleaner.

Thanks Dave, I did wonder when there was no thinner listed with the paints.  I have some of the Mr Tool Cleaner for the airbrush so I'm good to go. :thumbsup:

Nice work with the zipper, I have a few of the Kinetic F-104's to build, if you get the TF-104/F-104 boxing you get both fuselages, just in case you cannot make your mind up.  Unfortunately it's not a 2 in 1 kit as there are only one set of wings, undercarriage, radome etc.  But if you ever fudge up a fuselage then you have a spare one!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Unfortunately it's not a 2 in 1 kit as there are only one set of wings, undercarriage, radome etc.

Ah, but if you have the Daco improvement set and spares from 3 previous Hasegawa kits and a few bits of aftermarket then you can build two kits from it.😁

🇺🇦

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Thanks Dave, I did wonder when there was no thinner listed with the paints.  I have some of the Mr Tool Cleaner for the airbrush so I'm good to go. :thumbsup:

Nice work with the zipper, I have a few of the Kinetic F-104's to build, if you get the TF-104/F-104 boxing you get both fuselages, just in case you cannot make your mind up.  Unfortunately it's not a 2 in 1 kit as there are only one set of wings, undercarriage, radome etc.  But if you ever fudge up a fuselage then you have a spare one!

Thanks Bob! The Kinetic kit is very nice, so nice in fact I'm thinking of picking up another boxing for Taiwanese markings :lol:

9 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Ah, but if you have the Daco improvement set and spares from 3 previous Hasegawa kits and a few bits of aftermarket then you can build two kits from it.😁

🇺🇦

Sounds like a good investment there!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

There you go then, great idea.  I just didn't want someone thinking they could build both aircraft with the box contents.  I just need to reduce my stash. :nod: 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DaveJL said:

Thanks Bob! The Kinetic kit is very nice, so nice in fact I'm thinking of picking up another boxing for Taiwanese markings :lol:

Funny old thing, I did that last year.  It's an impressive decal sheet, A4 size with just about every Taiwanese zipper covered! :winkgrin:

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Funny old thing, I did that last year.  It's an impressive decal sheet, A4 size with just about every Taiwanese zipper covered! :winkgrin:

Lead me not into temptation!

16 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Is that the new one with bits for an A and a 2 seater,  or the older boxing for a G?

🇺🇦

Looks like it's the G boxing mate:

https://www.super-hobby.co.uk/products/F-104G-ROCAF-Starfighter.html

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Is that the new one with bits for an A and a 2 seater,  or the older boxing for a G?

The only Taiwanese zipper is the the older F-104G.  The 2 seater that I bought was the German TF-104G/F104G, the only other 2 seater zipper is the Japanese AF F104J/F104DJ which is also 2 in 1 option.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

The only Taiwanese zipper is the the older F-104G.  The 2 seater that I bought was the German TF-104G/F104G, the only other 2 seater zipper is the Japanese AF F104J/F104DJ which is also 2 in 1 option.

Looks like there's a new boxing incoming:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/kinetic-48134-taiwan-f-104a-and-tf-104-combo--1402956

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, DaveJL said:

Lead me not into temptation!

Probably too late for that Dave, :rofl:

Like Pandora's box you have seen the delights of Kinetics F-104's.

My temptation went like this:  not interested, I have Monogram and Hasegawa Starfighters.

Oooo it looks good, so I bought a Dutch F-104G...very nice

Bought a German F-104G, then got the Daco GAF decal set, need more German Starfighters to use these superb decals on.

Bought 2 TF104G/F-104G boxings for some more options.

Got the Taiwanese boxing, if I don't like the choices I can build another German one.

Finally got the Canadian CF-104G and the US F-104A/C.

Hopefully that's it, if not I'm going to get therapy.  :hypnotised:

• Haha 1