1/48 F-104S ASA-M, 10˚Gruppo, 9˚Stormo, Italian Air Force. Finished 15/07.

DaveJL

51 minutes ago, Sam said:

It‘s very satisfying when one can create modifications and bugfixes with stored spare parts! Certainly one of my favourite events when assembling a kit! Your description nicely brought out that feeling 👍🏽

I agree! Though saying that, this was a fairly simple one, so easy enough for even me to accomplish :lol:

Good grief Kinetic, when did you start making kits like this? The fuselage has pretty much just fallen together, just a seam on each side of the nose cone and one on the lower rear fuselage that needed cleaned up. The airbrakes were a bit snug so I lightly sanded the edges to get them to fit.

52146525116_011e980e90_b.jpg

52146765054_b1cbf7bb41_b.jpg

52147014760_97ec406114_b.jpg

Quite a long machine! 

52146525331_b4c9cd0d52_b.jpg

One thing I have noticed is the colour of the upper nose cone decal. It looks a bit grey:

52146764109_ae6379d35b_b.jpg

The below photograph would suggest it's a bit darker and stretches up to the windscreen, not just the nose cone as per the instructions. Kinetic also suggest the coaming is black, but looking at the photo and using the reference page linked previously, it looks like the cockpit colour? Also, does anyone know what the yellow-ish panel is aft of the cockpit? I'm looking at you @Giorgio N :lol:

52145506972_a8b28f8561_c.jpg

Hoping to get a squirt of paint on the insides of the intakes tomorrow and possibly get the wings on. I'm enjoying this kit, so much so I'm considering getting another, albeit a different boxing 😇

More soon and stay safe

Dave

• Like 6

• DaveJL changed the title to 1/48 F-104S ASA-M, 10˚Gruppo, 9˚Stormo, Italian Air Force. Update 14/06.

Superb work Dave, making me want to start one of my own, not something normally said about Kinetic kits.

I agree about the nose cone decal, its too light and doesn't go back far enough, do you get the white stenciling separately or just on the decal?

The coaming is actually a fabric cover and they can vary in colour, most of the ones I have seen are an olive green colour but the one in your picture id most definitely grey, but you can see that it is fabric.

The panel behind the cockpit is a fibreglass one and is that colour on all F-104's as far as I know, can't remember off hand what it covers.

Hope this helps mate.

🇺🇦

• Like 1

The fibreglass panel behind the canopy covers the uhf(main square section) and iff (front triangularsection) antennas. If you look closely there's an anti-collision light right in the middle of the square section of the panel 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Superb work Dave, making me want to start one of my own, not something normally said about Kinetic kits.

I agree about the nose cone decal, its too light and doesn't go back far enough, do you get the white stenciling separately or just on the decal?

The coaming is actually a fabric cover and they can vary in colour, most of the ones I have seen are an olive green colour but the one in your picture id most definitely grey, but you can see that it is fabric.

The panel behind the cockpit is a fibreglass one and is that colour on all F-104's as far as I know, can't remember off hand what it covers.

Hope this helps mate.

🇺🇦

Thanks Craig, it's a lovely kit, something I didn't think I'd say given my recent experiences with Kinetic! The stencilling is on the decal only, unless I can find stencils, I think my plan of attack will be to try and match the colour to paint up to the windscreen and then try and darken the it down with some weathering.

41 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

The fibreglass panel behind the canopy covers the uhf(main square section) and iff (front triangularsection) antennas. If you look closely there's an anti-collision light right in the middle of the square section of the panel 

Thanks Giorgio. What would be the best colour match for it? 

22 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

The fibreglass panels can vary in colour due to weathering/fading but the example in the link below is a pretty good one, its a kind of buff colour.

https://b-domke.de/AviationImages/Starfighter/5977.html

🇺🇦

Perfect, cheers Craig, looks like Tamiya XF-57 will suffice!

• Like 1

This one is going together so well I think I need to slow down! Though, admittedly, I ran into my first fit issue today. Part B18, which covers the avionics equipment aft of the cockpit did not sit very well. As I'm closing it up, I sanded down the avionic-y bits and didn't fit parts B12 or B42 to the inside of B18. Still had a bit of a gap and small step, which was easily sorted with some Mr Dissolved putty and some sanding respectively. The ASA-M also had a GPS dome fitted here, and looking at the references, there's a wire running from it aft to the fuselage so this was added from some copper wire.

52149096396_de5394e970_b.jpg

Any small gaps are on a panel line a la Tamiya (though admittedly not as refined) so everyone is a winner here! The intakes went on after I sprayed the interiors aluminium and the shock cones black. Shouldn't have wasted the paint as none of the former can be seen. Ah well, makes painting later on a lot easier. Once they were set, on went the stubby little wings.

52149112978_d1e45aa813_b.jpg

52149113868_4c87999947_b.jpg

Amazingly, once I fit the wing tanks and a few little bits here and there, the construction is mainly completed. A lovely kit I must say. Great balls of fire, Kinetic!

More soon and stay safe

Dave

• Like 7

• DaveJL changed the title to 1/48 F-104S ASA-M, 10˚Gruppo, 9˚Stormo, Italian Air Force. Update 15/06.

This one really is flying together isn't it Dave, such a pity the rest of their kits aren't the same quality.

By the looks of things she will be off to the paint shop very soon.

Nice catch with the wire from the GPS dome, little things like that make a big difference.

🇺🇦

3 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

This one really is flying together isn't it Dave, such a pity the rest of their kits aren't the same quality.

By the looks of things she will be off to the paint shop very soon.

Nice catch with the wire from the GPS dome, little things like that make a big difference.

🇺🇦

Cheers Craig, I'm enjoying it. Other than a few seams on the fuselage and on, what is my pet peeve, the fuel tanks, there's not much filling or sanding to be done at all!

• Like 1

Great work Dave. 

It is a beauty of a kit. As you said ‘great balls of fire’!

Look forward to seeing it with some primer on soon. 

James

1 hour ago, franky boy said:

Great work Dave. 

It is a beauty of a kit. As you said ‘great balls of fire’!

Look forward to seeing it with some primer on soon. 

James

Cheers James!

• Like 1

A little more done, and construction is pretty much complete! Popped on the wing tip tanks, though I will need to clean up those damned seam lines! Fuel tanks are rapidly becoming my number one bane (in a modelling sense anyway :lol:)

52153602469_9e6af2a8ab_b.jpg

52153368743_6078b6eb48_b.jpg

Just need to tidy up those seams, paint the coaming and aft cockpit then fit and mask the clear parts.

More soon and stay safe

Dave

• Like 7

• DaveJL changed the title to 1/48 F-104S ASA-M, 10˚Gruppo, 9˚Stormo, Italian Air Force. Update 17/06.
1 hour ago, DaveJL said:

Fuel tanks are rapidly becoming my number one bane

I agree. Some joint lines on the fuel tanks can be verrry irritating. I put some extra effort in them now, as it does make a difference. 

1 hour ago, Dansk said:

looking good dave. but just checking - on the bottom photo: the outboard winglet on the port wingtank looks to be fitted back to front? might be an optical illusion though.

Cheers Paul and, yes good call, one of the fins is back to front. Tank nearest the bottom of the photo? (Just to be clear :lol:)

1 hour ago, Sam said:

I agree. Some joint lines on the fuel tanks can be verrry irritating. I put some extra effort in them now, as it does make a difference. 

Seems to be every build for me!

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Nice work Dave.

I agree about tank seams, for some reason they seem to be far more of a problem than fuselage seams.

I agree with Paul that it looks like one of the fins on the port tank is the wrong way round.

🇺🇦

Cheers Craig! Yes one is backside about face!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DaveJL said:

Cheers Paul and, yes good call, one of the fins is back to front. Tank nearest the bottom of the photo? (Just to be clear :lol:)

yes, great you get it now before paint dave 👍

A little more done and we're now ready for primer. Firstly, I had to remove the intakes as I noticed the inner splitter plates were not sitting flush with the intake trunking so that was a bit of a faff. Anyway, once corrected, I was then able to spray the coaming and rear part of the cockpit. After looking at various pictures, I just went with Dark Gull Grey, added some weathering and fitted the HUD (forgot to take pictures prior to the canopies and masks going on!).

Canopies then sprayed and all the lights fitted and masked from the excellent New Ware set.

52173739132_b16e9efaaa_b.jpg

52174768803_aaa618df6b_b.jpg

52174769188_17e8972482_b.jpg

Hope to get it primed over the next few days. I'm expecting one or two seam lines (fuel tanks) to haunt me but hopefully nothing major. I'd also noticed a lack of stencils provided in the kit. Being fairly prominent on the real thing, I ordered a comprehensive set directly from Tauro Model. Thanks to @Giorgio N for the heads up!

52174768413_705d78c7ab_b.jpg

52173739357_023d9814ca_b.jpg

Includes the all important stencils for the dark grey section of the nose (as was discussed earlier) so I'll be able to mask and spray up the the windscreen. Just need to work out the correct colour now!

More soon and stay safe

Dave

• Like 8

• DaveJL changed the title to 1/48 F-104S ASA-M, 10˚Gruppo, 9˚Stormo, Italian Air Force. Update 26/06.
23 hours ago, Dansk said:

looking ace dave. nice work mate. those stencils will add a super level of detail to the overall look.

Cheers Paul. The stencils were a must after looking at serval references of the ASA-M. They're pretty clear on most images!

11 hours ago, modelling minion said:

She looks great Dave. The aftermarket stencil sheet certainly looks to be very comprehensive and it should keep you busy for a while, good that it has the white markings for the nose, makes things much easier for you in that respect.

🇺🇦

Cheers Craig. The stencils for the nose will help no end, looks like it's either a very dark grey or a pale black for the upper nose to windscreen colour. Tamiya NATO black could look bang on.

• Like 1