Esci 1/48 F100 in French colours - Finished

Marklo

08-A12743-1-FBA-4-D0-C-BC35-872-C3-D6-B9My kit bought for less than a tenner from Kingkit scrapyard. It’s missing one horizontal stabiliser but I should be able to make a resin cast from the one that’s still in the kit.

376-F4-A66-76-BB-4-A29-A3-A2-E3-C522598-In this scheme; SEA and a shark mouth what’s not to like :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 13

1 hour ago, Dansk said:

That's very clever if you can make the missing horizontal stab.

Thankfully the tail surface isn’t handed on the F100 so I’ll use silicone sealant to take a mold of the one I have then cast a new one in two part resin.

• Like 1

Welcome to the GB, and with another F-100! I thought we would have had far more Starfighters than Huns in the GB so I am really happy to see all the F-100 threads up and running.

I haven't built this kit before so I am very interested to see how you get on with the build, especially in that great scheme with the huge shark mouth.

🇺🇦

This just in. I opened up the box to get the horizontal stab and figure out how to make the missing part and…….

I realised it has raised panel lines imho a crime against nature so it’s going to need a sand and rescribe……dang……..

D7-E288-CD-1-C1-F-4137-BFFE-6-ACADE5689-I know the GB doesn’t start till tomorrow but I thought I’d make a start on the replacement stab. Laminated plastic card sanded to profile. 

Im now arguably at zero as my kit was previously missing a part :) now that I think of it I’m not seeing any decals either.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

CA3-AFA75-01-BA-4-C3-D-A3-A3-DA653-B9960Can you tell the difference? Scratchbuild is the one on the left :) 

The colour is off 😛

no, seriously, well done 👍🏽

• Thanks 1

On 5/29/2022 at 10:09 AM, Marklo said:

n this scheme; SEA and a shark mouth what’s not to like :) 

While the paints were nominally US SEA "Vietnam" all photos show they reacted to sunlight etc in a different way. These were, I believe, locally produced equivelants and, presumably, the chemistry behind them was different? @Wez will have a view, I sure. 

Martin

2 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

While the paints were nominally US SEA "Vietnam" all photos show they reacted to sunlight etc in a different way.

Yeah I agree there is extensive weathering, I’ll need a few more pics to get the look of the whole machine right.

I'd like to be able to offer advice but I'm away from my main reference, the EM37 book on the the F-100D/F in Armée de l'Air Service, shan't be able to consult until the end of the month at the earliest.

During a previous discussion we established that a blue close to RLM78 was a good match for the underside blue (when the French changed from the light grey equivalent of the US shade).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Wez said:

shan't be able to consult until the end of the month at the earliest

No worries I don’t think I’ll get near this one till at least then anyway. I have to finish several other GB entries first :) 

Edited by Marklo

I wish you the very best with this build Marklo and will be interested to follow it. I assembled a couple of these and as I recall the plastic is quite thin and there can be some fit challenges around the nose and jet air intake, also where the wings fit into the fuselage underside and the main gear wells. Good luck! Michael

• Thanks 1