Making Eduards Metal B17 landing gear more realistic

Thresher61

Hope I am putting this in the right area, if not please forgive me, tell me where it should go, thanks. 

I am building my 1st 1/48 scale HK B17(early Production) in 39 years. I am anal about realistic needed something to help my day go by. I bought Eduards 1/48 scale B17 landing gear(metal), there is a lot of clean uop to do on them, as well I hv to add something more to them for them to look realistic. Need to add some wire for the rubber lines, anyone ever done this detailing before I’m sure someone has. But some of ge parts are so dang small I’m having trouble gets 1mm drill started on what I’d call the actuator, then I need to loop down and go into strut. One thing do not use a soldering iron, trying to solder wire onto the landing gear, I am waiting on my second set of gear to come in. Bought brass this time. Money money going out all the time seems. Any input greatly appreciated still figuring out how to get to a certian area in this forum but will have in with me please thanks guys 

steve

16 hours ago, Thresher61 said:

Hope I am putting this in the right area, if not please forgive me, tell me where it should go, thanks. 

I am building my 1st 1/48 scale HK B17(early Production) in 39 years. I am anal about realistic needed something to help my day go by. I bought Eduards 1/48 scale B17 landing gear(metal), there is a lot of clean uop to do on them, as well I hv to add something more to them for them to look realistic. Need to add some wire for the rubber lines, anyone ever done this detailing before I’m sure someone has. But some of ge parts are so dang small I’m having trouble gets 1mm drill started on what I’d call the actuator, then I need to loop down and go into strut. One thing do not use a soldering iron, trying to solder wire onto the landing gear, I am waiting on my second set of gear to come in. Bought brass this time. Money money going out all the time seems. Any input greatly appreciated still figuring out how to get to a certian area in this forum but will have in with me please thanks guys 

steve

Steve,

Not being familiar with the Eduard metal landing gear and how fragile it may be, all I can advise is take your time. I've had some success with gear sets for the F-111, F-4, F-105 and the A-26. But over the moths they tend to sag due to the weight of the kit. My efforts with brass I find using a drill press works best. Also use the smallest dental type burr to counter sink the area to drill. Don't have a punch small enough to get the depression needed to start the drill hole. I've also used broken cables and wiring stripped down to use the strands for accents in wheel wells and on landing gear. Best of luck to you. These photos are of Liberty Belle B-17G that came into Lubbock Tx, Sentimental Journey B-17G Clovis NM, some years ago. May help with additional detail.

100_3027 100_3026 100_3025 100_2885 100_3043 100_8255 100_8242 100_8241

I have used dental burs for years in the dremel tools I have. I would suspect that you'll develop your own style and what works for you over time. Patience patience and patience! I've had to learn that. I was not a patient person when it came to building models. That was a learning curve for me. The other area the would best suit is the work in progress section. That is you have one started. So!

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker