123rd F.I.S. Oregon Air National Guard mid 1970’s

Hello everyone … I will use the 1/72 Revell kit of the F-101B Voodoo as my second build. My first choice is the older boxings decals for the 60th F.I.S., however as these are 30 years old. If something fails my fall back will be the Texas A.N.G. From the late 1970’s. I have both this and the most recent boxing. For years I couldn't find one, now I have two. 0WCiHtj.jpg

My preferred decals are in the upper left corner, the back-up is below those. The little grey object circled in red is a custom piece I had 3D printed and its a baggage pod that carried parts for an on board Aux. power unit.

JwxmXBI.jpg

Some closeup's of the pod which is mounted on the weapon’s tray. 41FvyOb.jpg

buj2GM2.jpg

k8PxE8U.jpg

nlvIUVF.jpg

t4tWX2E.jpg

DJAY72p.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 10

• 4 weeks later...

Well I finally got started on this tonight. Im a bit disappointed though. Ive wanted one of these kits for years and finally get two this year only to find out they're no good ? I cant stand the nose gear as the thing is flimsy as all heck.
wvSgQMG.jpg

Yes I figured out after the photo that its mounted backwards. Im going to have to drill some holes next to the landing gear and c/a a rod in to strengthen the whole thing. As it sits now its only contact is two .5mm connectors on either side and it rocks back and forth. That will never support weight. The cockpit didn't line up for squat until I forced the weapons bay in. I had to remove the weapons officer radar scope and some other things just to get the cockpit to fit. They will be added back after everything is good and solid. But this is what the office looked like before I modified/mounted it. skrB27w.jpg

Sxgjiuk.jpg

xRsvkvl.jpg

VdOtikw.jpg

The fuselage is glued and curing, once thats done I will add photo’s. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 4

1 minute ago, RidgeRunner said:

Does anyone out there know if the Italeri D-model of the era has the same level of detail? 

Is this in the wrong thread Martin?

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Im a bit disappointed though

Very sorry to hear that Dennis. There have been a few kits that I have had the same feeling with over the years.

Good to see your build underway though and hopefully things will improve for you.

🇺🇦

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well I pulled an all nighter and did a bit more work. The spine did finish up good when it set.F7sxce0.jpg

rPbIHMa.jpg

The port side of the nose had a sliver of a gap between the cone and fuselage, some strip plastic took care of that. s6Q3cC5.jpg

I did pin the landing gear with a brass rid and some c/a so should be a little stronger now. gDDqZNl.jpg

Then I went and added the missile bay door, 🙄 and I thought the cockpit was bad ? I had to remove about 3/4’s of a mm overall from the sides just to get it to fit. You can see where there is some white strip. A little surface in those gaps and you’ll never know. The door fences hide the gaps pretty well. Please feel free to ask questions or post comments. 

Dennis

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Dansk said:

nice fix with the strip dennis. this is really taking form now. what a lovely aircraft the two seat voodoo is.

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Certainly getting the better of this one now Dennis, top work mate.

And I agree with Paul, the Voodoo is a beautiful aircraft.

🇺🇦

Thanks Guys, Im a huge fan of the Voodoo and all of the Century series. I agree the Voodoo is a sleek aircraft, now I need an Hasegawa or Valom single seater. Heck Id even take a Kittyhawk single if I could afford one. Though I think Id still rather the Monogram “B”. 

• Like 2

Hello everyone … bit more work done this evening. Fmkrgfa.jpg

Have I said Im not a fan of this kit recently ? It may look like everything is good in the photo’s. However you’ll see when I show you the belly photo whats wrong. 

WD8NirY.jpg

WhRQy14.jpg

THHoN3l.jpg

If you look at this you can see where it just is completely mismatched ? woqRg2z.jpg

Each side of the fuselage is wider by almost a full 1mm behind the intake splitter plates. Surprise Surprise there was also a gap between the rocket tray and rear fuselage, a little investment tip for anyone. Buy some stock in plastic strip manufacturers if Revell ever re-pop this. By the way this is an original mold from the early 90’s, not a newer release.
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-4456-f-101b-voodoo--137190

So its not a case of the molds wearing out. Its a case of bad engineering from the start. Now you can see Ive done a little extra work. Ive opened up the vents at the rear underneath the engines. 
uRnl5Fd.jpg

Here is the brass rod added to strengthen the nose gear. Not super visible especially after a coat of paint. 

yTWrVPa.jpg

Last but not least a quick shot showing the size difference. Mind you its missing the intake and exhaust but those will only add about 1 inch. F6sy8Xu.jpg

Dennis

• Like 5

Despite the fit issues I think you are doing a good job on getting her together mate.

Putting her next to your F-100 shows just how big the Voodoo is, I was stood next to one a couple of weeks ago and can attest to the size of the beast, oddly enough it is parked right next to an F-100 too.

🇺🇦

• Thanks 1

Good afternoon or evening,

I pulled an all nighter and got a fair bit of work done on this and my Hun. 85XtpRL.jpg

vS8iU00.jpg

L3r4ExA.jpg

WOZx0cs.jpg

You can see from the photo’s Ive canted the stabs to an at rest stance on this. Another weak point in the kit as there is only a 1/2 round stub on either stab. Which is meant to hold each other in a very tiny hole. Hopefully this one will hold. All the seams are filed snd filled, now its re-scribing and polishing. z58Csdb.jpg

Feel free to ask questions or post comment's. 

Dennis

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Well with everything going on in real life Ive not been able to get to much done on anything. I did finally get the paint on this. The tape on the rear is to protect the plastic so I can bare metal foil the rear. JverjJS.jpg

Admittedly the Anti-glare is a bit off kilter and needs a touch up. FBcEgsq.jpg

4cuwBHk.jpg

tpgVUwy.jpg

Dennis

• Like 5

Good morning everyone … Another late night in the cave see this done with exceptions for the bays and speed brakes & flap wells. HJg8qbq.jpg

bUUC2mX.jpg

hkbMDn6.jpg

Now the rear metallic area is done still need to do the burner cans though. BBLHQGJ.jpg

On some of the Bare metal, Aluminum Lacquer, & ADC F-101B’s there seems to be a grey panel of a different color. It starts just ahead of and covering the weapons bay door.
1qRx4MI.jpg

Ive read that this was to protect the airframe from the rocket exhaust of the Genie’s and Falcons. Seems right as there wasn't an extending rail like with a sidewinder or sparrow ? Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 3

• Corsairfoxfouruncle changed the title to 123rd F.I.S. Oregon Air National Guard mid 1970’s

Hello everyone … Change of plans on this one. I started the decals this afternoon and went to do the tail lightning bolts. As soon as the decals hit the water they shattered. Shouldn't be too surprised as they're from the early 1990’s. Just not sure how well they were stored as the kit was 2nd possibly even 3rd hand. So with that mild disaster I quickly changed to the 123rd FIS Oregon National Guard circa mid 1970’s. We already have a Texas ANG Voodoo in the build and I have no other options to fall back on. Oh what I would do for a set of “Maineiacs” Maine ANG markings. Keep in mind that I still need to add a good bit of stencils but that will get done tonight in my next session. 
bUmnyRK.jpg

5mMipbE.jpg

The only original decals I did use are the walkways in Dark grey. The other set was a bit too close to my paint color. Needless to say they did break apart. The port side in two and the starboard into 4 pieces.

sedP9qt.jpg

pLq1e7V.jpg

rTUNWqI.jpg

Dennis

• Like 4