“Play Misty for me”

10 minutes ago, Dansk said:

looking good mate, great progress. what's with all the all-nighters dennis? 

Ive suffered from Insomnia since I was a young lad of 5-6. So instead of tossing & turning and keeping the better half awake I work and listen to the radio. Funny thing is my office has a flat screen and several streaming service’s left when my daughter moved out but I find tv isn't worth the distraction. Besides I have well over 20 on the desk that desperately need attention though most are decals. Once these two get to paint I will sidetrack and do decals for about two weeks to catch up on those. 

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your insomnia, Dennis. Do you find yourself more inclined to sleeping during the day? 

If i could have it my way, I'd sleep from about 5 am to noon, which is when I'm at my most calm and relaxed. Normal bedtime (right about now) is always a bit stressful.

I've learned some calming exercises that get me there, but I hate that I have to feel anxious about going to bed, something that should be pleasant. It feels like my freaking brain is determined to not let me be happy sometimes.

JERK!

Anyway, I'm liking this F-100. I was actually given the same kit by our mutual friend, Edward. I have it on the short list to build for this GB, but I'd really like to find replacement seats. Any ideas?

Oh and thanks for sharing the info about two cannons. I made a note inside the box, for future reference.

19 minutes ago, SoftScience said:

Sorry to hear about your insomnia, Dennis. Do you find yourself more inclined to sleeping during the day? 

If i could have it my way, I'd sleep from about 5 am to noon, which is when I'm at my most calm and relaxed. Normal bedtime (right about now) is always a bit stressful.

I've learned some calming exercises that get me there, but I hate that I have to feel anxious about going to bed, something that should be pleasant. It feels like my freaking brain is determined to not let me be happy sometimes.

JERK!

Anyway, I'm liking this F-100. I was actually given the same kit by our mutual friend, Edward. I have it on the short list to build for this GB, but I'd really like to find replacement seats. Any ideas?

Oh and thanks for sharing the info about two cannons. I made a note inside the box, for future reference.

Thanks the Double Hun was a favorite of mine. Yes most nights its 3-4-5 am to sleep and up between 11am - 1 pm. There are out of production seats out there. If you have the $ I would adapt two of these sets.

https://spruebrothers.com/ars7295-1-72-aires-f-100d-super-sabre-cockpit-set-trp-kit/

Using a sheet of plastic to glue them together from underneath. Not 100% accurate but you get two busy cockpits and two ejection seats. You can modify the rear panel and or use this to modify it. 

https://spruebrothers.com/eduss169-1-72-eduard-zoom-pe-f-100d-super-sabre-ita-kit/

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

Thanks for sharing Dennis.

I guess modelling is the perfect hobby if you suffer from insomnia, you can always do it without disturbing anyone 24/7. 

You must get pretty productive at times. 

Let us know if we can ever help (I know some pretty boring modelling channels on youtube that even with the best will in the world it's difficult to stay awake watching (in a nice way).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dansk said:

You must get pretty productive at times

Well my last four years were 2018 = 19 builds,  2019 = 30 builds, 2020 = 38 builds, & 2021 = 22 Builds. Which for someone on a tight budget can be a bit of a problem. 

1 hour ago, Dansk said:

I guess modelling is the perfect hobby if you suffer from insomnia, you can always do it without disturbing anyone 24/7. 

Yes it does have that benefit, though I try to save painting for daytime when people are awake and/or out of the house. 

1 hour ago, Dansk said:

Let us know if we can ever help

I will same goes for everyone out here. With disability and Insomnia I don't work and don't sleep well so modeling and research occupy a good chunk of my waking hours. If anyone needs info or research let me know. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well with everything going on in real life Ive not been able to get to much done on anything. I did finally start on the base aluminum for the stabs, wings, and drop-tanks. The tape on the rear is to protect the plastic so I can bare metal foil the rear.  Once thats done I can spray the camouflage. 0NgBkCS.jpg

TX9Juxy.jpg

Next step is zinc chromate on the starboard stab and then some weathering to get the paint peel effect. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 4

Evening everyone … First stage of weathering is done on the starboard stab. Top first, alccnyc.jpg

then bottom. COhbaGk.jpg

Ive had a change of thoughts on the rear fuselage, Ive decided to attempt to paint it. If that doesn't look good will try the bare metal. 

Dennis

• Like 1

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

That looks interesting Dennis and should make for a great effect with the other colours on.

🇺🇦

Thanks Craig … Well it was another late night in the cave. I was able to knock out the rear metallic area. Thats all done and clear coated, next up is to use some blu-tack to mask sections off. Then its on to the camouflage. 
Jbr81dt.jpg

vSjKR7M.jpg

4rQqi8r.jpg

epc2P60.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 6

Morning everyone … I finished the paint on this yesterday afternoon and now it just needs a clear coat. USZDNDY.jpg

LZPoyOq.jpg

gwz5ae1.jpg

ThTloPp.jpg

Still need a BDR in off white/lt.grey on the upper starboard nose forward of the canopy and then clear. I can actually finish up a few other build's now that these are done with paint so may be a few days before an update. 

Dennis

• Like 6

Good morning everyone … What few decals for this are now done. I used the kits Stars & Bars but on afterthought probably shouldn't have. They're a bit over sized for Vietnam, oh well it is what it is. Ive got nigh on 20 builds going and Im just trying to catch up somewhere. Ka9Wsjj.jpg

7L7m77c.jpg

Look Craig @modelling minion … I didnt goof the direction on this one.   ⬆️  😉

g18XlLk.jpg

gPiU3Q3.jpg

Dennis

• Like 6

Good morning everyone … Well Im 99.999% done with this. All thats left is a bit of weathering, satin coat, and one touch up from a careless finger. I know the gun panels need aluminum and they've been done since the photo's but need to dry now. fFO3ut5.jpg

4OE2GgP.jpg

GbpOWMf.jpg

UKkxjtA.jpg

hZnUfFH.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions, or post comments.

Dennis

• Like 5

5 hours ago, modelling minion said:

She really does look very good indeed Dennis, and very close to the finish line too.

🇺🇦

4 hours ago, Wings unlevel said:

Really like it.

Thank you … It almost got binned last night to be honest. The one thing I hate most in modeling is over done fiddely set ups where it isn't needed. Rare in older kits like this but getting more common place as manufacturers compete to out do each other in parts counts. Particularly armor kits. However Esci/AMT really blew it with the multi-part main gear door set up on this. There are 4 main bits which could be done with 2. I seriously came seconds away from binning it out of frustration. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...