GEM white metal locomotive kits

In one of the current groupbuilds, @PeterB and I were having a discussion about white metal for aircraft undercarriages.   The conversation moved on to white metal locomotive kits.  I have a couple of GEM kits in The Stash, so I thought this would be an opportune time to show them off.

I believe that the moulds for these kits have been around for quite a few decades.  I bought these about eighteen months ago from Lytchett Manor Models.  At the time LMM were warning that the moulds were problematic due to their age and may not last much longer.   Unfortunately it now seems that the moulds have finally given up the ghost as LMM no longer offer any GEM kits for sale.  :sad: 

• Like 1

The first one I have is an LNWR Webb 2-4-2 tank engine.

spacer.png

The chassis is very nice.  I don't suppose that the artwork for the etches degrades in quite the same manner as the moulds.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The detail parts seem to be nicely cast, but if necessary could be replaced with more modern alternatives.

spacer.png

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

The nice thing about white metal is the paint finish at the end, just looks better! Also a good weight for traction. Like those Wrenn models of old. 

I think nowadays there's so much RTR, especially in oo that it's eaten into the areas available for kits. Not as satisfying as a kit to my mind though

3 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

I think nowadays there's so much RTR, especially in oo that it's eaten into the areas available for kits.

True enough.  I was very surprised at the Bachmann Webb coal tank and Precedent models.  They are the first RTR LNWR subjects that I can recall.    I wonder if we will ever see an RTR Claughton.   A S&DJR 2-8-0 would be nice as well. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Nice kits.  I have a GEM oo gauge J17 which is running on a Hornby Jinty chassis.  You would think 3D printing would be offering almost clip on bodies for existing rtr chassis.  It’s a shame Bachmann stopped making their replacement chassis packs, even if they were split frames

• Like 1

There are people out there doing that. I have an LNER J21, N9, N10, S1 and Thompson Q1 tank engine designed to fit existing chassis. Unfortunately, current engine prices is making this method quite expensive, but it does show what Is now possible with 3D printers.

• Like 1