Look what the postman just delivered - the new submarine kit from Mikro-Mir......

Box art (Note the patriotic logo)

spacer.png

HMS Conqueror (S48) is the Royal Navy Churchill Class sub that sank the General Belgrano during the Falklands war.

First page of the instruction sheet...

spacer.png

Second sheet...

spacer.png

Decal shet (note the skull and crossbones) and etched propeller.....

spacer.png

Upper and Lower hull...

spacer.png

The rest of the parts...

spacer.png

It looks like a simple build - in the usual Mikro-Mir style - thanks to them for producing a kit of an important historical British submarine.

Can anyone confirm the white waterline markings - I don't think I've ever seen it on a RN sub before????

Ken

• Like 5

I think the waterline marking around the submarine is not from its operational life, but a legacy of being stored at the dockyard. When I visited HMS Courageous a few years ago, all of the submarines in storage had white lines painted around them. I assume it allows for an easy reference if they are taking on water as the stored submarines are probably not manned very often. 

• Like 1

Thanks all for the info about the white waterline.... :thumbsup:

I used thin strips of plastic card glued to the hull sides to make a stronger join... there are only locating holes/pips at front and rear. 

spacer.png

.... then glued to hull halves together.....

spacer.png

The joint isn't that good - so out with the filler....

spacer.png

It isn't as bad as it looks - I overdid it with the filler.

More later....

Ken

• Like 3

A little progress.....

Filler sanded down.....

spacer.png

Closeup of the front join - and the separate forward diving plane 'shoulders'.

spacer.png

Sail/conning tower parts - complete with inner decking.

spacer.png

Ken

• Like 11

Looking nice.  I built one super fast last week to give to a co-worker who is an RN submarine officer. Nice quick build.  No super detailing. Lots of sanding. Can't wait see how yours turns out. I'll give my second one the detail treatment. 

Dave

A little (slow) progress..... All the slots to take the tongues on the rudder and dive planes had to be reamed out to fit - :wall:

Ready for a coat of Halford's Grey Primer....

spacer.png

Note my botched attempt at depicting the louvre on the casing.

I tried to cut out a square of plastic - but my hand-eye co-ordination isn't up to it these days - so it's filled in and I'll just paint a black square on the finished model.

spacer.png

Ken

• Like 5

After a coat of Halford's Grey Plastic Primer...

spacer.png

... ready for a black topcoat....

spacer.png

For my black painted subs, I use a rattle can of Halford's Volvo Dark Grey - which gives a nice 'off-black' finish, suitable for this scale.....

spacer.png

spacer.png

Now I just need to mask off the anti-slip decking and paint it matt black - along with the side vents....

Off for a lie down now - it's too hot and muggy (although it's really Weggy) to do much.

Ken

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Just about to complete the kit. Nice model but:

Too many panel lines

Wrong colour draft Markings

It's a bit of a Falklands age mixed with post refit upgrades in 1985.

The missing outlets near the fin was a big miss.

Any ideas where you can get red draught marking for the 1/350 scale

23 hours ago, Sjherridge said:

Correct and a set of markings are missing from the forward edge of the rudder. I sabotaged a surplus decal sheet to get one.

23 hours ago, Sjherridge said:

There aren't any. Once fitted to surface, over-paint them with a diluted red or Tamiya Clear Red...very carefully. If you do a good job, you shouldn't see any tonal difference with the surrounding black.

HTH

Stuart  

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/21/2022 at 6:34 AM, Sjherridge said:

Just about to complete the kit. Nice model but:

Too many panel lines

It's a bit of a Falklands age mixed with post refit upgrades in 1985.

The missing outlets near the fin was a big miss.

Could you please expand on the missing outlets near the fin?

Are you referring to the square cut-outs that appear on the box lid but are missing on the kit?

cheers,

Pappy

On 8/8/2022 at 6:55 AM, Courageous said:

Yes. This: vent

Stuart

Great pic Stuart, thanks very much.

I posted a question regarding the screw/prop in the Maritime Cold war section but would also like to post it here:

HMS Conqueror information required - Maritime Cold War to 1990 - Britmodeller.com

Which way 'round does the prop face and which way should the blades be bent? 

The destructions are not very explicit in this area

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Pappy said:

Which way 'round does the prop face and which way should the blades be bent? 

Sorry, can't be much help here, I display my subs on a sea base so I don't have to worry about it. FWIW, my interpretation of it is the outer curves cut into the water, so they need to be bent forward and the rotation would be CCW when viewed from the rear looking forward. I hope that makes sense and I know a picture would make things much clearer but pics of propellers on warships/subs are a sensitive thing. Maybe someone else can help.

Stuart

20 hours ago, Courageous said:

Sorry, can't be much help here, I display my subs on a sea base so I don't have to worry about it. FWIW, my interpretation of it is the outer curves cut into the water, so they need to be bent forward and the rotation would be CCW when viewed from the rear looking forward. I hope that makes sense and I know a picture would make things much clearer but pics of propellers on warships/subs are a sensitive thing. Maybe someone else can help.

Stuart

G'day Stu,

I undertand what you mean, that was my interperetation as well, just not sure whuch way around the prop spins.I would be very surprised if MM (or any manufacturer) got the prop shape 100% correct, apart from being a complex shape they are sensitive assets as you say. Most kit makers seem to screw up the noses on jets and they are in plain sight!

You say CCW is correct, story checks out....

chweers,

Pappy

• Like 1

On 8/10/2022 at 10:16 PM, Francis Macnaughton said:

Immensely, however, if I am looking at the pictures correctly, the screw rotates CW, contrary to that suggested by Stu?

In the pics included in the above link, the screws as viewed from above are looking from the rear forward? 

confused

Pappy

Edited by Pappy

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/08/2022 at 12:19, Courageous said:

Stuart

Sorry guys, the prop definitely is turning clockwise (not CCW) when looked from the rear. Please refer to this thread: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235082530-churchill-class-ssn-1350-scale-conversion/