U-534 at Woodside, Birkenhead

Max Headroom

I was at Woodside Ferry Terminal in Birkenhead today and took the opportunity to sneak some pictures of U-534. Not very impressed and it now seems to be a glorified pigeon loft. Not sure if it’s always been in this condition since dissection but I think it’s in need of some care and attention. See what you think…..

view from the top of the hill

U-574

U-534

U-534

U-534

This is the pigeon loft

U-534

I think these next two shots show the damage caused by the depth charge?

U-534

U-534

Trevor

• Like 5

I visited U534 a couple of years ago and it looks to be in a similar condition. I do think its survival is time limited anyway as it was recovered off of the seabed and it was not conserved and kept out of the elements. When Holland 1 was first recovered, it was restored/painted, but after a few years it was in very poor condition. It was only saved by soaking in a chemical solution for a several years and then keeping it in a humidity controlled environment.

The bird roost will not be helping. HMS Alliance was also affected by bird related by-product!

It does look a bit shabby, although mainly due to the pigeon poop.  Looks like someone in charge needs to actually do something and spend the budget they have on cleaning the exhibits, rather than on donuts and posh biscuits. :fraidnot:

• Like 1

I had the opportunity to get inside it before the diamond cutters got to do the dismemberment. In a moment of stupidity I turned it down. Regretted it ever since.

Trevor the eejit

2 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

I had the opportunity to get inside it before the diamond cutters got to do the dismemberment. In a moment of stupidity I turned it down. Regretted it ever since.

Trevor the eejit

Silly Trevor.

It was awesome 👌 

• Haha 1