Green Zipper - RNoAF - Finished !

My entry will be a 1/72 Hasegawa CF-104 in the later Norwegian green and grey scheme. OOB expect for Master pitot. After having fun my second aim is to complete within the GB dates, for once. (Probably more in the stash that fits this GB than any other GB but there are other GBs that may will fit in.) Done too many grey planes recently so a simple bit of colour. Masks are old, so I hope they work, decals showing some yellowing so bleaching on widow now. I have got Xtradecal set for this scheme but I understand they are not accurate and the Vingtor set isn't available.

Chris

spacer.png

Edited by Chrisj2003
FINISHED
  • Like 6

On 28/05/2022 at 14:54, modelling minion said:

Great to have another green zipper in the GB, wouldn't it be great if your build and @Mr T's were the same airframe!

The combination of the green paintwork and the colourful Norwegian markings will be great.

Another build I am very much looking forward to.

🇺🇦

Craig, yes it would; the kit decals are for 759 which was CAF 104759 according to the starfighter source http://www.916-starfighter.de/F-104_RNoAF_334 squadron.htm, and then went to a museum and then to private display flying. 

Only found one photo it it pre museum days at http://www.karo-aviation.nl/favorite/pages/f104/f104knl.htm. So I’ll try and depict as that; wingtip tanks, underwing pylons empty and under fuselage sidewinder rails empty. The photo matches the kit decals and paint guide except the tanks in the photo are green overall. Happy to have any more information on this airframe in Norwegian service. 

Chris

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Nice. I have some images of green Norse ‘104s with Rockeyes somewhere ;)

Martin if you could find them I’ll be tempted to change the load out. Thanks,

Chris

Between progressing my bomb laden rhine I made a start. At the rear acrylic green on the exhaust pipe, then Flory's grime. Xtracolor exhaust and steel on the burner ring and exhaust. Does need to dry before assembling and inserting into the rear fuselage. Drilled out the attachment holes for the RWR. Some paint in pit and wheels too.

Chris

spacer.png

• Like 3

Rhino still going by small stages, so CF-104 exhaust assemble and into rear fuselage. Realised the Hu150 I am using as my main upper surface colour is very similar to the acrylic green inside the exhaust.

For cockpit I am trying decals settling down onto the raised detail.

Chris

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

You're cracking on with this aren't you Chris, and doing a good job of it too.

The decals look to have settled onto the raised details in the cockpit very nicely and with the rear of the aircraft virtually complete you are well on the way to having something very Starfighter shaped.

🇺🇦

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

It makes a change to see a decent weapons load on a Starfighter. ;)

Martin

i was thinking the same thing. it looks so good with the double ejection rack and bombs.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/06/2022 at 15:09, RidgeRunner said:

Sorry, Chris, I owe you this .

KNL5

Martin

Martin, thank you tempting, but I do want to finish this one before the GB ends and those multiple racks aren't in any kit I have; and it has the feel of a display loadout rather than a real load. That image suggest the kit pylons are correct for the Sidewinders.

So after a long holiday abroad (drove past Otis ANGB on Wednesday, and there was more temptation, a F-101 or F-106 from there) back home and front end mainly done. For pit colouring following the detail photos in the Verlinden Lock-Out #1, which looks correct for the RNoAF CF-104. (Could not see how I could get this hobby on a trans-Atlantic flight but SWMBO got her quilt stiff on holiday 😀)

The dash looks nice with the decals settled nicely on the moulded detail but the phone camera just can't see it.

Chris

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

@RidgeRunner brilliant, thank you. The collective BM hive mind knows everything. 😀 

So the base photo of the aircraft I'm modelling has:

• tip tanks - which may or may not be in 2 colours - very dark at that point
  • the under fuselage missile pylons and rails

• and probably wing pylons with nothing on - again very dark at this point

So I will stick with that and, depending on timing of this and other builds, may add AIM-9. Among those multiple phots I can see on camo'd jets the rails are white and some white and other grey pylons - again my photo is too dark - so I get to chose.

Chris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chrisj2003 said:

@RidgeRunner brilliant, thank you. The collective BM hive mind knows everything. 😀 

So the base photo of the aircraft I'm modelling has:

• tip tanks - which may or may not be in 2 colours - very dark at that point
  • the under fuselage missile pylons and rails

• and probably wing pylons with nothing on - again very dark at this point

So I will stick with that and, depending on timing of this and other builds, may add AIM-9. Among those multiple phots I can see on camo'd jets the rails are white and some white and other grey pylons - again my photo is too dark - so I get to chose.

Chris

I reckon this could help you ;)

NOR10

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Inside of intakes, shock cones, and outside with lips painted before assembly; easier to get a good line before assembly than after. Various other bits painted; small CF-104 wheels out of shot. Intakes assembled and added to front fuselage, Front and rear glued together, as others have noted the vertical joint has not got many tabs, so copious amount of glue, which will need some sanding off. One the intakes didn't align with rear exactly so popped that off for now.

More like a zipper now.

Chris

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

• Chrisj2003 changed the title to Green Zipper - RNoAF - fuselage assembled