Green Zipper - RNoAF - Finished !

Slow progress on this for various reasons:

• F-4E was prioritised and finished
  • Travel
  • Too hot at bench
  • Right hand side intake wasn't aligned properly, so that came off for a second time

But now:

• Intakes on and faired in
  • Wings on
  • Tip tanks painted grey, masked and on
  • Fiberglass panels top and bottom painted in Hu148 'radome tan', masked, and edge of masking just overpainted

Underside grey next; pylons and tail to fit after painting.

Chris

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

• Chrisj2003 changed the title to Green Zipper - RNoAF - wings on
13 hours ago, Wings unlevel said:

Looking good! Looks like you have very neat joins between the fuselage halves, and the intakes are nicely aligned (moreso than mine!).

Thanks, my intakes aren't perfect; there are too many variables the way the kit is split up.

Chris

• Like 2

Undersides painted and masked off, cockpit by stages; just put HUD on, will leave before windscreen; very old style Eduard masks for canopy, seem to stick so hopefully good enough.

Chris

spacer.png

• Like 2

All canopy glued on, maskol, a little filler to front of windscreen and one side of main canopy, internal framing light grey painted and first coat of topside green, Hu150, on; aiming for a more solid colour after a few coats (like the tail).

Chris

spacer.png

• Like 6

• Chrisj2003 changed the title to Green Zipper - RNoAF - main colour started

Three coats of green done in less hot evenings, and masking off, inevitable overpainting in roots of wings, tip tanks and one careless brush mark the other side of tape to sort. Will sand excess paint, then mask nose and then mask glare panel before coming back to sort grey in one go (may remember to take masks off fibreglass panels too).

Chris

spacer.png

• Like 5

Wobbly demarcation line for the nosecone; tidied up and onto anti-glare panel. And after breaking the thin red decal for the candy cane stripe on the pitot, painted it.

Chris

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Touch ups all done and RWR painted. Varnished yesterday, but the Clear hasn't dried under the tiptanks and has a reddish tint. Hoping it will dry and I can sand off and repaint. Shame because there was an outside chance of meeting the GB deadline.

Still to do:

• re-varnish
  • decals
  • seal
  • weathering
  • add wing pylons, wheels, doors, pitot and aerials
  • touch-ups

Chris

spacer.png

• Like 3

• Chrisj2003 changed the title to Green Zipper - RNoAF - varnish issue

This is looking good, Chris.

The main focus should be to finish a model that you are satisfied with - not rush it to finish it within the GB time limit. 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The off-colour varnish did dry, but all lumpy, so I sanded back, repainted, re-varnished and have just done one side's decals. So this is pre-sol and wash. In what I think is the correct location the red turbine warning line is longer than it needs be; will trim when dry.

Chris

spacer.png

• Like 3