1/48 Lockheed Hudson - Contrail Vacform

Great build, I love the home vac forming rig. My own is an inherited hoover and a picture frame and a metal box off eBay.

Enjoying this one as I have two vac forms in the stash. A Contrail Zepplin Stakken ( which may never see the light of day as it’s huge) and a Heinkel 119 which may be built for the Prototypes, racers and special schemes GB…

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A bit of progress to report since last post. 

- finished off some detailing of the nose interior. It's for photographic surveying - so camera kit and operator/observers armchair.

- Vacformed nose has been fitted and blended in

- detailing of the cockpit interior

- fitting of the original kit vacform canopy (fits very nicely)

DSC04722

Then onto design and cutting of the canopy masks using Silhouette Cameo  - quite extensive actually, combo of cabin windows, main cockpit and nose.  Also evidence of a couple of other projects on the go...

huds (2)

Here's the cabin windows being applied using 'transfer film'. Makes sure that cut masks are applied whilst preserving cabin window spacing and longitudinal alignment....

huds (3)

And a bit boring - but here's what it looks like with all the masking applied.  So much simpler than my old approach of handcut masks. And there's no way I could have handled all the windows with their curved corners.  

huds (1)

And after a coat of Tamiya Fine Gray Primer.. The basic undercarriage has been fitted - which helps keep the model elevated for the painting process.  Getting awfully close to paint - it's by no means a Tamiya kit - but aiming to make it all tidy and presentable, and able to show off the colourful colour scheme

IMG_4417

And onto some more masking. My planned marking scheme features some rather awkward lettering (for rego markings, and operators logo). It's that classic block lettering - but with a strong white border/background.  Thankfully, the Silhouette comes to the rescue again - by cutting masks for the white border/background - initially prepped in MS Powerpoint - then transferred to the Silhouette Design Studio software...

ad1

Here's the expected outcome (time will tell!)

ad3

And here's the same thing as set out in the Silhouette Design Studio software.  The cutter is going to cut along the red lines - and the letters will define the area which remains white. Hope that makes sense.  Subsequent posts will show this laid out on the model with the colour(s) going on...

ad2

• Like 17

Much progress, very good to see. Fishbowl nose has merged smoothly into the overall form, well done.

Thanks for outlining your masking process. You & I both muddling through similar task in similar way .. though for me it’s inverse: black edging to white numerals.  I too will be using the ‘transfer film’, as last time (first time) I used it it worked a treat!

Red N5DF_4

Red N5DF_6

.. but I was still cutting by hand. I have started that long process of rationalising (self-deluding) that inevitably leads up to an expensive purchase!  I’ve been sniffing around these cutters .. seems there’s two main brands, and two types: smaller, cheaper, presumably less capable; and then larger, more expensive, and more bells and whistles.  Which is yours?  And am I right to suspect that, like old bubblejet printers, there’s a ‘hidden cost’ I ought to allow for, for attachments, blades etc?

Look forward to your ‘AD ASTRA’ successful results confirming I must invest ..

• Like 4

Yes, why DO we choose colour schemes that don't have a ready to apply decal set? Problem solving is of course half the fun (well, some of it). 

Nice working on the hand cutting - looks like plenty of prep work setting it all out - and the results suggests all the ingredients for a quality outcome. 

3 hours ago, greggles.w said:

I’ve been sniffing around these cutters .. seems there’s two main brands, and two types: smaller, cheaper, presumably less capable; and then larger, more expensive, and more bells and whistles.  Which is yours?

I have the Silhouette which the modelling fraternity tea leaves seem heavily in favour of (vs the Cricut). There's a great summary comparison of these two on FB Group "The Cutting Edge scale modeling plotter/cutter users" which I can dig out? The Silhouette Portrait has a ~8" wide bed [fine for 1/72 and small 1/48], the Silhouette Cameo is 12" - no need to go beyond the basic Cameo in my view.    Hidden costs are the cutting medium (dirt cheap), transfer film (optional but cheap), replacement blades (~AU$25) and sticky cutting mat (~$AU25) but I'm still on my first included blade/mat. Seems to me I'll easily get a couple of dozen model masks out of each blade? Others might be able to offer their experience?  I think bigger risk is it'll all be made redundant by technology (eg a new model comes out, Or Windows 15 is incompatible etc) but I'm banking on 5yr useful life.

Best path in would be to send your files in compatible file format to a friendly with a machine and get them to cut for you. eg I'm happy to run some experiments for you (PM me).

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

More progress. Here's the masks cut using Oramask 810 and the Silhouette Cameo.  Background material has been removed....  Lettering is for the fatso white outline...

DSC04739

And picked up using 'transfer film' and applied to the model. The background coat looks a bit grey, but it's actually white. Blame the lighting...

DSC04740

Masking on - ready for some top coat

DSC04743

Not forgetting to mask off the white fuselage top and white empennage.  Top coat is a rich teal/turquoise colour...

DSC04747

And then mask fo the black antiglare nose, and a wafer thin pin stripe between the white top and teal bottom...  Am using the Valleja rattlecan flat black for this - marvellous stuff (although some reviews suggest it doesn't take well to being masked - but since I'm not going to mask it....)

DSC04749

And the reveal!  One of the most enjoyable parts of the build for me.  When it works of course.  And very, very happy with the way this one has worked..  Without the mask cutter - there's no way I could have done all those cabin windows with their evenly rounded corners. Let alone the complex compound curves around the nose windows. And the shadowed lettering.   A bit of a learning curve with the mask cutter - but well worth the effort (and it'll be easier again next time). 

DSC04750

So as flagged in earlier post - I've elected to go the home made decal route for doing the black part of the shadowed lettering.  Here we see the laser printed decals ready to cut out and apply. This has basically all been done with the aid of MS Powerpoint and an off the shelf laser printer - ie no fancy software required.

DSC04754

Here we go....

DSC04756

And a bit more.  Really enjoying this build.  Whilst it's a very 'cottage' (and cheap) Contrail vacform kit as the basis - she's scrubbing up nicely in my view. Missing some of the finer detail you'd expect of a 'modern' kit but not trying to be perfect (vs enjoying it).

DSC04757

Next steps.

- undercarriage.

- cowls, exhaust etc. 

- aerials (quite a few of them!)

- weathering (subtle and light - no need to get carried away)

• Like 14

• 3 weeks later...

Calling this one done.

- glued on all the fiddly bits.

- aerials

- a bit of light weathering

Quite enjoyed this one - the base kit is pretty basic and required a bit of patience and a bit of experience. Lots of new techniques learned and applied on this one - which is what it's often about. 

I have intentionally not gone overboard in trying to transform it into the most accurate/detailed masterpiece. So haven't dropped the flaps, opened doors, or reset control surfaces etc.  Happy that it'll sit nicely on the shelf.

Thanks for following along...

DSC04808 DSC04808 DSC04807

DSC04805

DSC04813

DSC04811

Oh - you remember right when I started, the comment a project such as this is pretty much guaranteed to generate a new tool injection moulded kit?  Well a little bit of photoshop has helped produce the mock-up  below. In a series of tasty schemes (thanks to http://www.adastra.adastron.com/aircraft/hudson/hudson.htm for these!)

Airfix

JUST KIDDING!!!!  But will come back with a 'told you so' when it comes to fruition.

• Like 25

That looks magnificent! Contrail kits are great but they still require a large amount of those elusive "modelling skills" that I've been unable to buy online...

Outstanding work.

I love the box top, and after the 1/48 Anson surely a Hudson is the obvious next RAF twin for Airfix...???

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ianwau said:

this is pretty much guaranteed to generate a new tool injection moulded kit

Ha ha, can I put it on "Rumourmonger"?

Lovely result.  I'd say "inspiring", but really I think it more intimidating than encouraging!  I haven't even mustered the courage to attempt my Classic Airframes one yet.

• Like 1

Great topic, a masterclass in building vacform, masking transparencies and designing decals all at once.

May I ask how you designed the masks for the windows in the Silhouette software? It seems tricky to get those compound curves on the windows to translate to a flat surface in the software, how did you achieve this?

2 hours ago, sroubos said:

May I ask how you designed the masks for the windows in the Silhouette software? It seems tricky to get those compound curves on the windows to translate to a flat surface in the software, how did you achieve this?

Thank you!    For the front glasshouse - I actually used a set of aftermarket 1/72 Hudson masks as a template - scaled up to 1/48 and manually traced. Needed a bit of fettling but they were 90% right first go. The other technique I've used is to apply a sheet of wide masking tape over target area - mark up the required shape(s) with eg a marking pen, or mark out with 1mm tape (in contrasting colour) - digitally scan the result and use that to manually trace/prep in Silhouette. Hope that makes sense!

2 hours ago, Winded Penguin said:

And has some poor child been deprived of their toys? 

Ha! Luckily the deprived children are now in their 20's and moved out - and possession (of said Lego) is 9/10's of the law? Most of it was actually picked up at garage sales years ago - and luckily with those large size base plates.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Zephyr said:

I love the box top, and after the 1/48 Anson surely a Hudson is the obvious next RAF twin for Airfix...???

Thanks Zephyr! Surely yes from Airfix. I'd even buy one despite having done this (after all that was the point of doing it!)

2 hours ago, gingerbob said:

Ha ha, can I put it on "Rumourmonger"?

Oh dear!  Does Airfix read Rumourmonger? There'll be a fall scale investigation on who 'leaked' the top secret 2023 project???

22 hours ago, gingerbob said:

Lovely result.  I'd say "inspiring", but really I think it more intimidating than encouraging!  I haven't even mustered the courage to attempt my Classic Airframes one yet.

Thank you!

Re the courage. If it helps - the vacform kit only cost me $AU12 2nd hand (about 10% of a Classic Airframes 2nd hand these days?). This meant I really had very little to lose by having a go - nothing ventured, nothing gained? I think I'd have far more trepidation tackling a Classic Airframes Hudson given street value.    Am sure the Airfix 1/48 Hudson will be cheaper and cheerfuller when released!

I have only just found this and have to say what a great job you have done!

Vacforms are usually regarded as difficult, but you have breezed through this with aplomb!

I am glad your vacforming worked out! (Phew!)

Malc.

Edited by Malc2
  • Like 1