BoB CASA Camo Colours?

munnst

What colours for this aircraft please? This actual model not what it should be if this is indeed inaccurate?

52103646107_3628cd921c_b.jpg

(Ref BOB-Heinkel-miniature-1.jpg (1200×800) (thepropgallery.com))

• Like 1

If your trying to match the model colors (or indeed, the movie aircraft colors from 53 years ago), it would be impossible to say looking at a photo. If you have access to an actual artifact, then all you can do is start with various paint chips and work from there. 

Even if you tried to match the Connie Edwards HA-1112's as they emerged from his barn, they would have a half century of fade, chemical change, and barn grunge on them.

What are you trying to do?

If your building a model, the movie aircraft seem to have been painted in an eyeball equivalent to 70/71.

Image4

Image21

• Like 2

Not quite an answer to the OP, but if watching the film carefully for detail, in a couple off scenes of the " Heinkels" taxiinc, you can see the Spanish roundels under the greens applied over the top.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Tail-Dragon said:

If your trying to match the model colors (or indeed, the movie aircraft colors from 53 years ago), it would be impossible to say looking at a photo. If you have access to an actual artifact, then all you can do is start with various paint chips and work from there. 

Even if you tried to match the Connie Edwards HA-1112's as they emerged from his barn, they would have a half century of fade, chemical change, and barn grunge on them.

What are you trying to do?

If your building a model, the movie aircraft seem to have been painted in an eyeball equivalent to 70/71.

Image4

Image21

What colours did you use here?

8 hours ago, munnst said:

What colours did you use here?

I used Tamiya acrylic XF-27 Black Green, and XF-81 Dark Green. To my eye, they look correct for the film, though in every scene, and publicity photo from the movie, the colors continually look different.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Tail-Dragon said:

I used Tamiya acrylic XF-27 Black Green, and XF-81 Dark Green. To my eye, they look correct for the film, though in every scene, and publicity photo from the movie, the colors continually look different.

Which paint did you use for the light blue?

12 hours ago, k5054nz said:

Which paint did you use for the light blue?

For the light blue, I used a 50-50 mix of Tamiya XF-23 Light Blue, and XF-02 White.

May not be perfect, but it seems pretty close to me.

decals 3

Colin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Tail-Dragon said:

For the light blue, I used a 50-50 mix of Tamiya XF-23 Light Blue, and XF-02 White.

decals 3

Colin

These colours look good. Thanks. Would these colours be the same for the Heinkels? I'm trying to match as closely the film aircraft but the pictures seems to show an olive colour and dark green?

As far as I know, the same paints were used on the Heinkel (Casa 2-111) as they were all painted at the same time in Spain.

The problem is that in every photo, they may look different due to light source, camera angle, age of the film, what corrections have been applied, etc.

Also, since the movie wrapped in 1968, surviving aircraft have been repainted several times. 

All the recent, good, high quality photo's are not of the original movie paint jobs! (again, the exception would be the Connie Edwards HA-1112's, but they have a half century of gunk, fade, and changes on them)

2091861868_f5bcc2bedd_z

Here's a Monogram HE-111 I did a few years ago in the same colors (but with straight XF-23 on the lowers)

Image5

hope this helps,

Colin

Edited by Tail-Dragon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Tail-Dragon said:

Looks pretty darn good to me, thank you!