Casting an engine

veg

Any help or advice gladly received 

I would like to try and copy a 1/8th triumph motorcycle engine I have, it’s from the 1950’s triumph revell model.

never cast anything previously 

how would you do it? What would I need to do it?

thanks

Have a look at the SylCreate website.  SylCreate | Model Making, Resin Casting, Craft, Art & Restoration Products

They have a tutorial, with videos, on casting with resin.  (I'm having difficulty with the link.)  I've used their resin kit to make copies of parts for my models, but nothing as large 1.8 scale.

Trevor  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, veg said:

Any help or advice gladly received 

I would like to try and copy a 1/8th triumph motorcycle engine I have, it’s from the 1950’s triumph revell model.

never cast anything previously 

how would you do it? What would I need to do it?

thanks

You need two-part RTF Silicone rubber for the mould.

Lego bricks to build a mould box

Plasticine for basing your original part in the Lego box

Copydex glue to seal the Lego bricks' joints

Two part Polyurethane resin

Break the original engine into component parts, not necessarily the same as the kit parts. eg, sump, cylinders block, engine head, carbs

1950s Triumph motorcycle engine, afair has a separate gear box and separate alternator [?]

a basic starter info

ask me more if you need to

• Like 1

As Trevor @klubman01 mentioned above, this is a link to sylcreate. I've bought from them many times and had no problems and find the products pretty good. 

https://sylcreate.com/product/sylmasta-casting-kit/

There's a tutorial video at the bottom of the page

Keith

Edit - just tried the video on the sylcreate home page and it won't play. Here's the link direct to it on youtube;

• Like 1

Thanks chaps

had thought of just copying the std engine straight from the sprues but I will look at maybe doing a two part cast. 
yes separate gearbox from the engine.

That kit and engine are not the most accurate rendition of a Triumph .

I mean like a full page of inaccuracy's , I'm not sure of all of them, you may want to look into that before doing all that work.

Lots of those kits around , why the need for a re-casting ?

When I built the 'Triumph Custom Show Bike' I decided there was too much to do to make it closer to the real thing and built it pretty much OOB:

581.jpg

Edited by krow113
  • Like 2

Ok so it’s not a million miles away from the real motor, plus I’m looking at making it into a Grand Prix 500 engine which was also used as an ancillary engine in British ww2 Lancaster bombers. To do two bikes, one a gp500 rep and a triton. Owned several real unit and pre unit triumphs and grew up with them, the kit may be available but when they come onto market they are between £65 to £95 paid £70 for the last one. I may even use the Manx gearbox.

id like the above and a Francis beart Manx and I may try to do a version of the 4 cylinder Norton racer (I’ve several spare man Nortons).

1 hour ago, veg said:

had thought of just copying the std engine straight from the sprues but I will look at maybe doing a two part cast. 

That kinda makes it easier Cut the sprues down to manageable sizes. Leave the sprue on the parts, that can take any overflow of resin, If there is detail on only one side you can do a single open mould, But you need to raise the parts eg. glue thick plastic card onto the back of every part and the sprue frame. This will rest and be pressed lightly into the plasticine base. If you don't raise the parts you will lose some of the depth of the part and some detail

I made a copy of a Messerschmitt radiator by gluing the rad to a backing piece and pouring my mould rubber over it. I could do this as the bottom of the part was plain

The more work you put into making the master parts ready for moulding the better your casts will be

The first two rules of moulding;

1. Always keep your master safe

2. Always keep your first good casting - never use it

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, veg said:

Ok so it’s not a million miles away from the real motor, plus I’m looking at making it into a Grand Prix 500 engine which was also used as an ancillary engine in British ww2 Lancaster bombers. To do two bikes, one a gp500 rep and a triton. Owned several real unit and pre unit triumphs and grew up with them, the kit may be available but when they come onto market they are between £65 to £95 paid £70 for the last one. I may even use the Manx gearbox.

id like the above and a Francis beart Manx and I may try to do a version of the 4 cylinder Norton racer (I’ve several spare man Nortons).

All that sounds like a better use of your time.!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, veg said:

This is the sort of project that suits 3D printing.

Scanning and copying the original parts to computer then outputting through a [resin] 3D printer

• Like 1

yeah, about £300 for a basic set up. You need to to be doing a lot of printing to warrant the investment. Then the parts are cheap to print.

No.1 son and I have been considering getting a 3D set up as we would use it a lot

• Like 1

Theres a guy who recast Revells Shovel/Knuckle engine and sells them on ebay.

Prolly has gravy on his chips once and awhile but other than that the M/C model market is slim pickings for any kind of business venture.

ALL  of the kits mentioned here could do with spoked wheel sets , as well as most of the early M/C kits.

That would mean a sausage or two with the chips and gravy.

lol

• Like 1

Got rims and spokes sorted for the builds plus lots of nuts and bolts correct wiring etc

does the Harley engine bloke do a sportster motor? Would love to build a replica of my buell.

Buell

Edited by veg
  • Like 2

Love that Buell! Rarer than Hen's teeth in the UK. Used to be a Buell Dealer in Bridgwater some time back before HD shut the Buell line down.

It's a HD and Ducati dealership now.

Cheers,

Alan.

• Like 1

It’s quite a well known bike in buell circles. I didn’t build it, it’s loaded with one offs swapped my Ducati sport classic for it. Absolutely love it.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2022 at 11:18 AM, veg said:

Got rims and spokes sorted for the builds plus lots of nuts and bolts correct wiring etc

does the Harley engine bloke do a sportster motor? Would love to build a replica of my buell.

I would like to see your hubs , rims and spokes for the kits mentioned.

resin steel . resin copper , resin aluminum what is that

and each kit from protar , italeri etc all have diff wheel sizes , so im not sure how useful these sets are

adding it all up with shipping is close to 100 quid too , for rims and spokes , no hubs offered

they look to be Norton style rims , but not any others

i would pass on this stuff and use the money to get into metal casting supply

which is what i did for my hillclimber wheels

after trying kit hubs and resin casting , metal cast wheels sets are best and  should be complete: hubs - rims- spokes - nipples , all model specific.

inherent tension created during lacing brings up problems:

IMG-0243.jpg

I used kit hubs and rims for master as the kit tires fit then

this along with kit specific chain and sprocket sets would benefit the builders of these kits

prolly see a lot more of them built with these glaring problems sorted out