1/18 HB captured Focke-Wulf Fw-190 A-8

It's finished!

1/18 scale FW-190 A-8 has left the bench.

The model produced by HobbyBoss lacking a lot of details, it has them less than models in 1/72 but I wanted to make it because the larger the model, the easier it is to stuff the electrics. I remade the interior of cockpit, added aluminum foil seatbelts, added gunsight and detailed a bit landing gear wells. The armament is made of brass tubes. Apart from that, I added diodes, optical fibers and a motor. As German equipment other than prototypes and what-ifs will never appear on my shelves, I painted my FW in the colors it wore when the Yankees tested it at the Toul-Rosières airport in France in 1945.

To paint this one I've used AK Real Color, Tamiya and Mr Hobby paints, and weathered it with Ammo Mig pigments and liquids also from this manufacturer. It is driven by a 12V motor and the optical fibers are powered by 12V LED diodes. The resin lady on the wing (to distract from the lack of details of the model :) ) is also on a 1/18 scale, from Coree. My wife helped me plant the grass on the base, many thanks :)

Short movie with working engine and lights:

YOxVpU3h.jpg
x5DAG08h.jpg
TfMpzYdh.jpg
XCrJ6xwh.jpg
rs8UhlRh.jpg
Y4gJGqTh.jpg
68UM3zGh.jpg
NwJnxOzh.jpg
7zfovv3h.jpg
ZMwOB09h.jpg
s8w2WCUh.jpg
oSllSJXh.jpg

• Like 17

Hi Artoor K,
Thank you for sharing!
Have the kit in my stash but have no found the motivation to do the necessary upgrades.
Been sitting ther for 4 years now 🙄
Yours look fine :)
And I am not distracted...

Is that a complete rebuild of the dashboard and IP?
Great job!

Stay safe, stay sane and happy modelling!
Zack

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Zack said:

Hi Artoor K,
Thank you for sharing!
Have the kit in my stash but have no found the motivation to do the necessary upgrades.
Been sitting ther for 4 years now 🙄
Yours look fine :)
And I am not distracted...

Is that a complete rebuild of the dashboard and IP?
Great job!

Stay safe, stay sane and happy modelling!
Zack

Thanks a lot :)

IP was modified. I've drilled holes in places of instruments. Then I put IP decal on white sheet of styrene and glued whole part on backside of IP.

MRUwLZk.jpg?1

LoLMKp7.jpg

Gunsight is completely scratchbuilt. Cockpit thub was modified, seat walls were thinned:

N127kgl.jpg

V6lYKOW.jpg

Perhaps I will be cursed for eternity by FW maniacs but I really loved this model. It's most detailed from all 1/18 HB kits and I hope you'll like it too. Just give it a chance :)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Artoor, Very impressive. I like the lights and motor, the colour scheme makes a nice change too.

Perhaps the naked lady should be sitting on the tail for ground runs 😆