A flash of clean light hope (1/72 J F Edwards Kittyhawk I)

I have very mixed feelings about cyclists, having, as a small boy cycling home from the Lake Forest Public Library with Jane's Fighting Ships 1985-1986 in my backpack (which is excruciatingly heavy when you're eleven), been run over by one of those fellas in a spandex bodysuit on his bike, who would have left me there with (as it turned out) my lower teeth sticking through my face just below my lips, had a passing good samaritan not wrangled him and frog-marched him with me to my parents' front door. I realize it's not fair to judge all of you based on this, but as a runner for many years before my children were born, I always regarded bikes the same way bikes regard cars.

However, I like both of you, and these foul drivers were strangers, so to the devil with them, the murdering swine.

On 11/20/2022 at 9:58 AM, Hook said:

We modelers are tough as nails, people, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. 

A craggy mien and square jaw are the marks of a modeller.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

I have very mixed feelings about cyclists

Perhaps I was too obtuse. I am just a regular rider of a normal bike (I'm still a bit too young and fit for a bloody e-bike, thank you) for everyday use, in normal everyday clothing, not a member of that dreaded subspecies The MAMIL (middle aged men in lycra) that terrorise the countryside with their racing bikes, charging at other road users at full speed and expect all others to spread in awe to let them through. 

Because, like any intelligent and reasonable human being, I share your deep and relentless hatred of those. 

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

"Noone dies until the stash is depleted."

(As you might fathom, I harbour a cunning plan to achieve immortality.)

Cheers,

Andre

• Haha 10

7 minutes ago, Hook said:

"Noone dies until the stash is depleted."

(As you might fathom, I harbour a cunning plan to achieve immortality.)

Just leaving this here. Carry on!

y4mW6UPktq5JCsFoF8fpPzi1776teHHaYZBZBylm

• Haha 11
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Procopius said:

I have very mixed feelings about cyclists, having, as a small boy cycling home from the Lake Forest Public Library with Jane's Fighting Ships 1985-1986 in my backpack (which is excruciatingly heavy when you're eleven), been run over by one of those fellas in a spandex bodysuit on his bike, who would have left me there with (as it turned out) my lower teeth sticking through my face just below my lips, had a passing good samaritan not wrangled him and frog-marched him with me to my parents' front door. I realize it's not fair to judge all of you based on this, but as a runner for many years before my children were born, I always regarded bikes the same way bikes regard cars.

However, I like both of you, and these foul drivers were strangers, so to the devil with them, the murdering swine.

Sorry that happened PC, I was fishing near my house about 10 years ago. Stupidly I opted to do it next to the bike path on an older bridge. A wonderful biker came along and nearly squished me and I was lucky enough to dodge. Sadly my cane went in the water through the slats in the bridge. So I too have mixed feeling's about local bike riders. Lets not get started on the ones who think the rules of the road don't apply and go straight through a red light. To the original poster’s talking of getting nearly squished by cars. You have my sympathies as I do understand biking is viewed differently in Europe than here. 

• Sad 1

What a curve ball to end your build thread Ed! @Hook I hope you're back up on a bike soon! You realise how vulnerable you are when something like that happens. If all non cycling motorists knew this feeling, I think the roads would be far safer for everyone!

From a from an increasingly militant middle aged cyclist who occasionally wears lycra, but mostly wears wool, and occasionally a MkIII*

52515321281_cc31363888_c.jpg
Winchester Barracks by Mike, on Flickr

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Quiet Mike said:

From a from an increasingly militant middle aged cyclist who occasionally wears lycra, but mostly wears wool, and occasionally a MkIII*

Is that the MkIII* there on the bike? Mine is a postwar BSA from 1928. Always wanted a P14, but they're far too rare here and I've made do with an M1917 Enfield by Eddystone. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Is that the MkIII* there on the bike? Mine is a postwar BSA from 1928. Always wanted a P14, but they're far too rare here and I've made do with an M1917 Enfield by Eddystone. 

Mines a SMLE. Unfortunately I've never fired one, this is a piece of furniture now. (there must be a lbs of steel rode welded into the cut barrel) I've just taken a couple of phone snaps of it's current role as man cave Objet d'art.

52515670614_c7853fb5a3_z.jpg

The MkIII* by Mike, on Flickr

52515670449_355cffd390_z.jpg

52514927957_655f45d383_z.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dogsbody said:

I have these two Enfields. Both are fully functional.

49948735543_404e8cb492_b.jpg

49949238131_e5b15c3dcd_b.jpg

Chris

I had the lower one myself, wish I had an SMLE from WW1. One of my favorite rifles ever. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1