A flash of clean light hope (1/72 J F Edwards Kittyhawk I)

5 minutes ago, 06/24 said:

My sole Poseidon photo, but sadly little use for research purposes:

52421289076_d47bed302e_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

I actually saw one up close at the airshow in Oshkosh a few years ago. It was big, grey. Follow me for more modellers' notes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Nice progress on the P-40 and a great purchase with the P-8A. Love those aircraft, almost as much as the good old P-3's! In 1/72 scale, thats pretty big I imagine, so hope you have room for the RC-135W Rivet Joint that surely must follow?

Terry

So before the Reaving of 2020, I actually did have one, and the resin update set. In my quest to get ZK-series serials for a Meteor-armed Typhoon, I did get the Hannants sheet with the markings again, so...maybe!

• Like 2

I remember owning a Airfix Nimrod once, then askance at the looming massiveness of the thing I happily un-owned in Ced's direction.

Those big things take up inordinate amounts of real estate capacity.

It's a good job you have a mahoosive modelling dimension available PC.

Grant's Wessie, nice work young person. Welcome to the wondrous world of rotaries.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, philp said:

While I didn't find HS*P I did come across several pics of 260 Squadron Kittyhawks.  

Also this page.

https://www.vintagewings.ca/stories/kittyhawk-discovery

Yes, there seem to be lots of photos of their Kittyhawk IIIs -- and of course the unfortunate Flight Sergeant Copping's Kittyhawk Ia -- about, but not many to speak of from earlier. So weird that they, in the midst of a catastrophic retreat, while suffering unimaginable losses to try and save the army, failed to take any photos that would aid me specifically eighty years on. Greatest generation? Inconsiderate generation, more like!

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

5 minutes ago, perdu said:

Grant's Wessie, nice work young person. Welcome to the wondrous world of rotaries.

I should clarify that Grant performed only supervisory tasks, e.g. complaining that I was taking too long to build his helicopter. Grant routinely knocks over full glasses of liquid if they are placed within five yards of him, so does not get access to glue. He and Win were very interested in the Wessex, which all agree has a pleasing shape. 

7 minutes ago, perdu said:

I remember owning a Airfix Nimrod once, then askance at the looming massiveness of the thing I happily un-owned in Ced's direction.

I had one of those. You really should never sell any kits, I know now, you'll always regret it. Just live in a house made uninhabitable by piles of boxes of kits, no family because they abandoned you, just modelling and solitude. Sounds pretty good.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

28 minutes ago, Procopius said:

I should clarify that Grant performed only supervisory tasks, e.g. complaining that I was taking too long to build his helicopter. Grant routinely knocks over full glasses of liquid if they are placed within five yards of him, so does not get access to glue. He and Win were very interested in the Wessex, which all agree has a pleasing shape. 

I had one of those. You really should never sell any kits, I know now, you'll always regret it. Just live in a house made uninhabitable by piles of boxes of kits, no family because they abandoned you, just modelling and solitude. Sounds pretty good.

Once the rotary djinn is unleashed...

Accents,  we Brummies often hear imitation Brummie, tv's Peaky Blinders and its ilk for example.

We always know.

🤭

• Haha 4

I would argue the east Anglian accents (Norfolk, Suffolk, old Essex) are tough ones to mimic. So many actors default to a West Country burr when they try.

Me? Being from the poorer bits of Surrey, I’m like an exiled Londoner. Since moving to the Medway Towns, I’ve picked up some dire habits of sloppy speech from being in proximity to the locals. So many glottal stops!

• Haha 6

1 minute ago, Procopius said:

It's missing the sun.

Good news perhaps if you are a TU-22 crew in afterburner, trying desperately to put distance between you and that Lightning!

Terry

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

Yes, there seem to be lots of photos of their Kittyhawk IIIs -- and of course the unfortunate Flight Sergeant Copping's Kittyhawk Ia -- about, but not many to speak of from earlier. So weird that they, in the midst of a catastrophic retreat, while suffering unimaginable losses to try and save the army, failed to take any photos that would aid me specifically eighty years on. Greatest generation? Inconsiderate generation, more like!

I often feel the same way about the Red Air Force during the Second World War, PC. Just because they were involved in an existential war of almost unbelievable scale and brutality, couldn't they have thought of me and just taken a few more piccies of their aeroplanes? Would that have been asking too much? I realise that each frontovik wasn't issued a Leica as part of their kit (as was evidently the case with the German soldiers), but still...

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

So it was Dad’s kit really…

As dad patiently explained to his children, were it truly dad's kit, he would have bought the fuselage/tail extension plug from Freightdog, and maybe some etch.

• Haha 7

2 hours ago, Procopius said:

he would have bought the fuselage/tail extension plug from Freightdog,

I have that and have already replicated it, as you know I can Edward, so does that make me a good Dad?

Terry

3 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

I have that and have already replicated it, as you know I can Edward, so does that make me a good Dad?

Are...are you offering to be my dad? I accept. Can I come stay with you now, pop?

• Haha 7

5 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

Since moving to the Medway Towns, I’ve picked up some dire habits of sloppy speech from being in proximity to the locals. So many glottal stops!

Some parts of Chatham are positively feral, which might explain a few things!

3 minutes ago, Steve Coombs said:

Some parts of Chatham are positively feral, which might explain a few things!

Ha! You’re not wrong there. Some parts are to be avoided outside of daylight, unless accompanied by bodyguards.

To be fair, the local authority is doing their best to spruce the place up a bit, but they’ve got a mountain to climb.

Ed, apologies for the thread diversion. Normal service resumes in three… two… one… 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

Ed, apologies for the thread diversion. Normal service resumes in three… two… one… 

I don't think one need apologize for going slightly off-topic in a thread ostensibly about a P-40 which has already featured a built Wessex and the Firestreak missile.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

No progress last night, as this smug creature is difficult at night, and her mother is showing signs of cracking, eg suspiciously long showers, trips to the WC that require the car, etc. and I'm consequently a little too drained to feel my hands will be sufficiently steady.

PXL_20221108_210159936

HMS Hood did arrive for the boys the other day, and last night, to give them something to do, I suggested they get a start on it.

PXL_20221108_232531342

PXL_20221109_001807917

It's a very elderly Airfix kit, and so dad provided some aid and some modelling tips, but much of it was done with tube glue and sellotape to hold recalcitrant parts together, proper vintage modelling style. I thought about playing some Heath/Wilson exchanges for them to get the full effect, but stayed my hand. Grant and Win both built, but Win is older and by far more adroit, so I had to give a lot of my aid to Grant with the hull, while Win handled the 15" turrets. Fortunately I know a little something about warships, so was able to field their questions with ease, and later heard Grant proudly informing Mrs P that "This is the Hood." Win, who has a lot of me in him, suggested we get all the ships from the Bismark hunt in 1/600 to go with Hood (of course given how rarely Airfix reissues the damned things, this could get pricey), particularly Rodney and King George V. For his bedtime story, after we read a chapter of the interminable Duet, which Mrs P hates (hard to blame her, it's a virtually tensionless story, and Chopin is of zero interest to children with as little musical ability as ours), he had me tell him the story of the Sinking of the Bismark. We may read C S Forester's short novel on it next, though Grant, who does not like blood, has opted out.

This morning, Win got up at the crack of dawn and added the funnels and upper decking/lower superstructure, but Grant's allergies are exacerbated by tube glue, so construction is temporarily halted until some of that non-toxic citrus glue can wind its way here.

PXL_20221109_124712662

• Like 13

Just now, jackroadkill said:

I wish my face looked like that when I survey my work.

Winston has inherited his mother's disease of dangerously high self-esteem, though the universe is doing its best to do to him what it did to me and squeeze every last drop out of him.

• Sad 3