A flash of clean light hope (1/72 J F Edwards Kittyhawk I)

6 minutes ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

as we watch Western civilisation circle the drain.  

Sadly we all agree that it’s going down the drain, it’s just the reasons are different for everyone.

I will let that lie just there because I have no desire to discuss politics - just an observation that nobody feels particularly comfortable right now.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

I feel we're experiencing the painful birth of a new era, as happened in the 1970s or indeed many times in the past.

Something I often think of is something James Stockdale said: “You must never confuse faith that you will prevail in the end—which you can never afford to lose—with the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they might be.”  

Note, that if you oppose any of my beliefs, this does not hold. Give up now.

• Like 6
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Still reeling from watching “The Giant Claw” (1957) on UK TV the other night

Ok, this is getting scary - I am the proud owner of this.

There must be some hidden correlation between modellers and connaisseurs of classy cinema.

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Nice choice of aircraft to build Edward and she's coming along great.

I have this version in the stash, a double kit. I do have a soft spot for Special Hobby and these two are really nice.

Screenshot 2022-02-21 at 11.15.07

Might have to get one on the go sometime soon.

Terry

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

I have this version in the stash, a double kit. I do have a soft spot for Special Hobby and these two are really nice.

I've built that! It's a very different kit, much more rudimentary, from an earlier era of limited run kit design. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Procopius said:

I've built that! It's a very different kit, much more rudimentary, from an earlier era of limited run kit design. 

Yes I realise looking at the one you are building now, its very different! Mind you, I've just finished the RS F-51H so I'm seriously ready for a fight!

Terry

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Terry1954 said:

Yes I realise looking at the one you are building now, its very different! Mind you, I've just finished the RS F-51H so I'm seriously ready for a fight!

I recall it being so basic that there was little fight involved, up until the landing gear had to go on. Possibly also the quarterlights.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Procopius said:

Now if Arma were to do a P-40…….

AW

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I am  alive, by the way, although the July 4 murders took place less than a mile from my home, and I got to spend the holiday in my basement with all the doors locked as the police fumbled about for nine hours. Mercifully, Mrs P and the boys were in Michigan when it happened, because they love parades, which has caused me some level of psychological distress over the past week.

I've been ludicrously busy getting my stupid little Warhammer mans ready for league games, and did manage it, painting a thousand points over that weekend and leaving for my first game with the decals literally still drying on one giant punchy robot. 

Some of what I've been wasting my time on:

52192407031_fc6792fbdb_h.jpgPXL_20220704_051248002 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Roboute Guilliman, the Avenging Son, the tallest man in the Imperium, the nicest guy alive in Warhammer 40,000 (not too difficult, though, so don't get your hopes up), and certainly the only person who knows how to make a spreadsheet.

52204103904_6dc27a79a0_h.jpgPXL_20220704_205800426 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Arrayed in warlike manner:

52203834126_df2f338824_h.jpgPXL_20220706_232432636 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I lost my first game, because my cowardly foe played for the objectives, instead of fighting me like a man. I did kill all of his HQ units, though, so who really won?

52204340865_34ec2b436d_h.jpgPXL_20220708_234741714 by Edward IX, on Flickr

In my second game, despite a serious tactical blunder in turn 2 that cost me quite a bit, I managed to come surging back and wipe out pretty much all of the enemy's heavy units and command, eking out both a moral and a points victory.

52203859033_460cd612c4_h.jpgPXL_20220709_020915801 by Edward IX, on Flickr

52202830912_c41e1fb221_h.jpgPXL_20220709_045322802 by Edward IX, on Flickr

52203859243_983b3b8ebf_h.jpgPXL_20220709_050722204 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I will eventually get back to model planes, but it may be a bit. 

• Like 17
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Chuuurles said:

glad to see you check in, I have been hoping all is well over there, but didn’t want to bother you. I don’t know a single thing about Warhammer but those look very nice, love the gold. 

Never a bother, never a bother! 

All you need to know about Warhammer is that if I'd still been into it after 2003 instead of dropping it to pick it back up this year, is that I likely would be unencumbered by children, and indeed, might never have known the barely suppressed shudder that presumably all men feel when they touch a woman.

• Haha 10
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Procopius said:

52204103904_6dc27a79a0_h.jpg

Is this guy the Ultramarines answer to Pat Butcher?!  Things have changed a bit since I last painted a marine, that's for sure (but they would, really, as the last time I did that was the day Kurt died).

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Procopius said:

All you need to know about Warhammer is that if I'd still been into it after 2003 instead of dropping it to pick it back up this year, is that I likely would be unencumbered by children, and indeed, might never have known the barely suppressed shudder that presumably all men feel when they touch a woman.

I'm often torn between commiserating with you and advising you to seek help.  😆

Regardless, the Warhammer figure is resplendent in that Egyptian Revival lapis-and-gold scheme.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Procopius said:

All you need to know

I think that’s rather more than I needed to know… 🙂

Are they the Space Marines? Very nice painting, especially the gold highlights and shading.

I let a few years pass after meeting the lovely Mrs MF before coming clean about  my real hobbies, although I suspect she’s probably still a bit disappointed that emergency plumbing and carpentry weren’t my real passions.

Hope you and yours are doing well. The boys I expect are too young to be affected deeply by it, but it must be a shock to you and Mrs P.

Regards,

Adrian

• Haha 6

5 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Hope you and yours are doing well. The boys I expect are too young to be affected deeply by it, but it must be a shock to you and Mrs P.

To be entirely honest with you, only a few weeks before, I told Mrs P and my mother in law that I felt HP was at a pretty high risk for an attack of some sort, as we have a very large Jewish population, and anti-Semitic incidents have been on the rise here. But yes, beyond that, quite a shock to the system, as it's one thing to predict something, and another to live it. I'm, selfishly, just glad Mrs P. and the children weren't there. That's not something anyone, but particularly not a child, needs to experience. 

5 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Are they the Space Marines? Very nice painting, especially the gold highlights and shading.

Yes, the Ultramarines (I know they're cobalt blue) specifically. 

19 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

Is this guy the Ultramarines answer to Pat Butcher?!  Things have changed a bit since I last painted a marine, that's for sure (but they would, really, as the last time I did that was the day Kurt died).

I'm assuming you mean Cobain, rather than Waldheim. In any case, yeah, he's like, The Dad of Ultramarines. Somewhere after the second edition of the game (whereabouts you likely stopped and when I started), they decided that the Space Marines all came from twenty ur-Space Marines, even taller and stronger than normal ones (like the aliens in Invader Zim, the Space Marines determine leadership potential based purely on height), and conveniently killed them all offstage ten thousand years before the start of the game. OR DID THEY? Just in time for a new edition of the game a few years back Rouboute Guilliman (AKA Rowboat Girlyman, or Robot Gorillaman when he's doing well on the tabletop) was revived from stasis a moment before death, plopped in a very fancy suit of cloisonne armour, and given a model that costs sixty bucks. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Procopius said:

I'm assuming you mean Cobain

Yeah, I was fifteen years old and was painting a UM terminator when y step-mother told me that "a musician with a funny name" had killed himself.

21 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Somewhere after the second edition of the game (whereabouts you likely stopped and when I started)

Correct; I had the first version and didn't understand it one little bit, but I loved painting the white metal figures (not so much the styrene ones).  Somewhere I think there's an old toolbox of mine at my mum's place, full of vintage miniatures (assuming my brother didn't sell them to buy dr... when he was at a difficult point in his life, like he did with my CD collection).  I remember Leman Russ, but that's about it.

1 minute ago, jackroadkill said:

Correct; I had the first version and didn't understand it one little bit, but I loved painting the white metal figures (not so much the styrene ones).  Somewhere I think there's an old toolbox of mine at my mum's place, full of vintage miniatures (assuming my brother didn't sell them to buy dr... when he was at a difficult point in his life, like he did with my CD collection). 

Well, the good news is, if they're still there, they're worth a bit more now, outpacing even inflation, and you can buy yourself all the dr...apes you might want!

• Haha 4

It was with trepidation that I typed in Procopius in the members search as there have been so many incidents that have made international news coming from our former colony that there must be many more that don't make it. 

You're alive (Yeah!)

You're not playing with planes (Booo!)

Family is safe (Yeah!)

You've not started the F6C (Booo!)

I assume the two golden ropes with skull toggles are for the armoured tummy scratching flap on the big blue thing, by the way what scale are these Marine Johnnies?

Nice to have you posting again fella!

Box On

Strickers

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HAMP man said:

I assume the two golden ropes with skull toggles are for the armoured tummy scratching flap on the big blue thing

Everyone has to go to the bathroom sometime.

4 minutes ago, HAMP man said:

by the way what scale are these Marine Johnnies?

Nominally somewhere in that nebulous space between 1/48 and 1/56.

• Haha 4