A flash of clean light hope (1/72 J F Edwards Kittyhawk I)

1 minute ago, stevehnz said:

I saw this recently with my 24 year old son, we both enjoyed it. He is a Marvel movie fan & didn't find anything especially cheap marvel movie about it. I've not ever watched a marvel movie so didn't have an appropriate yard rule, but I did take the precaution of parking my critical faculties at the door & re-awakening my 15 year old self, we both loved it. :)

Seat belts look good. 

Steve.

Gah, I left out a word! Please note in your copies that the sentence should read "What would happen if someone who'd watched far too many Marvel movies decided to spend one hundred and twenty-six million dollars to make the biggest, dumbest knock-off of Back to the Future they could conceive of?"

I didn't hate it, but I'm very weird about movies, since finding ninety-plus minutes of uninterrupted linear time is very rare for me, and due to some defect in my brain I prefer to do only one thing until it's done and then do another thing, and that much time out of an evening pretty much shuts down most "other things". Also, my taste in movies veers to extremes: either very (well, maybe only pretty) good, or very, very, very, very bad

Also! I completely forgot, what with all the impalement, I made my normal Memorial Day trip.

PXL_20220530_140253681

• Like 18
  • Thanks 6

9 minutes ago, Procopius said:

"What would happen if someone who'd watched far too many Marvel movies decided to spend one hundred and twenty-six million dollars to make the biggest, dumbest knock-off of Back to the Future they could conceive of?"

Still not sure I agree but given that comparisons are inevitable being as they both involve time travel, I can cut you some slack now. I've long been a fan of the BTTF movies & didn't let that spoil TAP for me. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Procopius said:

The Adam Project, which could best be described as "What would happen if someone who'd watched far too many Marvel movies decided to spend one hundred and twenty-six million dollars to make the biggest, dumbest knock-off of it they could conceive of?"

I wonder why the Blinovitch Limitation Effect didn't kick in?

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Ow. The seat was looking nice in previous posts. And the wheel well scraping looks like a blast from the past too. Sorry to hear about your mother - was that a hospital trip or was it a “just a flesh wound” instance?

It was decided, after the needle was extracted and surprisingly little blood came out, that a bandaid would suffice. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Procopius said:

Then today we went over for much of the holiday afternoon, and I got to see Winston flail into my mother so hard that he drove a knitting needle two inches into her forearm, which ranks pretty high on the list of damndest things I've ever seen,

I can just about imagine the severe bitch-slapping me Mum would have given to me if I had done such a thing to my Grammy, when I was a kid!

Of course, way back then, it was okay to spank your children in public, or most anywhere, for that matter.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Thanks for sharing Stocky’s story. I hope I have his marbles when / if I ever reach ninety seven.  Another great build ensues, The seat looks fantastic, nice bending. ↩️↪️. Hope your mums arm is ok. That story sounded terrifying, two inches!!! Jeez. 🙀. The wells are looking like they’re heading in the right direction too.

I’ll just pop over and get a pint. Want one?

Johnny  

On 5/30/2022 at 7:27 PM, Procopius said:

The Adam Project, which could best be described as "What would happen if someone who'd watched far too many Marvel movies decided to spend one hundred and twenty-six million dollars to make the biggest, dumbest knock-off of it they could conceive of?"

At the risk of angering the mighty Procopius, I have to say I enjoyed it. Before I started it, I did a Ford Prefect and took my mind off the hook for a while, although at no point did I pretend I was a slice of lemon.

Also, knitting needle/forearm?!? Ew.

Build's looking great, though!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, John Laidlaw said:

At the risk of angering the mighty Procopius, I have to say I enjoyed it.

I think it was perfectly enjoyable! I definitely heard my dad cry during it, which normally only happens during Saving Private Ryan and Gettysburg.

10 minutes ago, John Laidlaw said:

Also, knitting needle/forearm?!? Ew.

Dude. You have no idea.

• Like 3

On 31/05/2022 at 05:08, Procopius said:

Also, my taste in movies veers to extremes: either very (well, maybe only pretty) good, or very, very, very, very bad

Ooh, ooh, I've seen 'She'!

If ever there was a movie that made one worry about 'Starlet Casting' and various pieces of furniture, that was it.

Pretty girls, pretty poor acting IMHO.

Haven't seen the others but multiple falls from the building in Action USA? That stunt man deserves a pay rise.

Knitting needles. Ouch.

Oh, nice work on the kit too - love that seat :) 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dogsbody said:

I can just about imagine the severe bitch-slapping me Mum would have given to me if I had done such a thing to my Grammy, when I was a kid!

Of course, way back then, it was okay to spank your children in public, or most anywhere, for that matter.

Chris

In my day it was essential...

• Like 2

The Adam Project was a pretty good film. Yes, you had to suspend belief, but as that's what films are usually meant to do no problem there. I accompianied my wife to see Downton Abbey: a new era on Monday, think about that! Actually, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, but we'll be seeing Top Gun 2 next week hopefully in IMAX.

I hope your mother is ok, and that Winston understands that accidents happen when (I assume) running at full tilt?

And am I right in thinking you;ve 3 WIps on the go? 

• Like 2

More later, but the short version: do not use the PE wheel wells. They look nice, but don't really fit and make putting the wings on a royal pain.

Ask me how I know! I dare you.

PXL_20220603_204727853

• Like 13
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

Personally, I'm amazed that after the knitting needle episode, Winston's head is still attached to his shoulders!

That is EXTREME patience!

Ian

• Like 2

On 6/3/2022 at 9:50 PM, Procopius said:

More later, but the short version: do not use the PE wheel wells.

Same with the Part etch, and the wing upper surfaces had to be paper thin, to get them to fit. Lot of work for a detail that does not really pop out at you. 

Box on

Strickers

• Like 1

On 6/1/2022 at 2:05 AM, CedB said:

Ooh, ooh, I've seen 'She'!

If ever there was a movie that made one worry about 'Starlet Casting' and various pieces of furniture, that was it.

Pretty girls, pretty poor acting IMHO.

so, not only do I own She on blu-ray (only god can judge me), I've watched it with the director's audio commentary, and believe it or not, Sandahl Bergman PICKED that as the film that would catapult her to superstardom after her initial success in Conan the Barbarian. It didn't, of course, which is why she later starred in Hell Comes to Frogtown with Rowdy Roddy Piper, which I also own.

On 6/1/2022 at 2:05 AM, CedB said:

Haven't seen the others but multiple falls from the building in Action USA? That stunt man deserves a pay rise.

Action USA is another fun one -- it was written, directed, and largely made by stunt men. The acting isn't great (thought it has that perennial fixture of z-grade 1980s flicks, the eternally slumming from 1950s big star Cameron Mitchell, and, by happenstance, a second Conan connection after She in the form of unbelieveably craggy William Smith, who played Conan's dad) but the stunts, all practical effects, are incredible, fully the equal at the very least of those in any big budget movie of the time. I understand the male lead now has a supporting role on the detective show Bosch.

On 5/31/2022 at 3:48 PM, dogsbody said:

On 6/1/2022 at 2:22 AM, perdu said:

In my day it was essential...

On 6/1/2022 at 3:59 AM, lasermonkey said:

Mine too, sadly. I'm not sure what the intended outcome was, but I took Philip Larkin's advice and never had kids.

As I think I've mentioned, my parents spanked me until I vomited more than once. I would love to say that this was somehow helpful, but it culminated in my running away from home and living in grinding poverty for three very unpleasant years. Anyone is welcome to physically discipline Winston, with the understanding that I will kill them with my car after I find out. Unlike me, my children are not so afraid of their parents that they will not tell them when adults harm them.

On 6/3/2022 at 3:55 PM, jackroadkill said:

Go on then - how do you know this?!

On 6/4/2022 at 8:19 AM, Chuuurles said:

Hyped!

Okay, whew, the model. I had a busy week, so there were no real updates, sorry folks. 

I closed up the fuselage, which went pretty well. If you use the Eduard PE, I think you should definitely use the seat, it's super nice, but don't bother with the PE seat frame -- the kit one looks more correct (since it's actually a series of tubes, like both the internet and the seat framework) and is less fragile. My seat is like 5-6 degrees off center, which kills me a little inside. 

PXL_20220606_034024483

The wings, though...I sanded the hell out of them (Eduard suggests you should remove the kit wheelbay ridges -- for HER enjoyment, when has that ever mattered, and why does Mrs P look so weary all the time? -- and that will answer, but it does not), and they still didn't want to close over the gear bays. I had to resort to heavy clamping to get things to go together, and it resulted in a slight but noticeable wing root gap. It may have also f...ouled up the dihedral, but I don't know enough about P-40s to feel confident of that.

PXL_20220606_034017060

I also hacked off the 0.50 gun barrels, to be replaced with brass tubing, as the Kittyhawk I had slightly different ones to the Ia. 

Although it isn't added yet, the kit includes a coaming for the instrument panel, which was not always in evidence on real P-40s, or indeed in several P-40 kits in this scale (I think either or both AZ and Sword), which presumably you would want in the desert, with all that sand that's rough, and gets everywhere. I welcome it further because it means no messing about with lead wire behind the IP. 

I had sawed off the kit rudder pedals to use the Eduard photoetch ones, which was a mistake, as they don't fit well and promptly broke off, turning the model into a rattle until I could get them out with tweezers. Sigh.

Something that DID go well was adding PE grilles to the two glycol radiators and the oil cooler in the chin scoop. It looks nice!

PXL_20220606_034111320

PXL_20220606_034118567

The clear parts fit very nicely. I need to add the coaming and gunsight, then the windscreen and sliding hood.

PXL_20220606_034441728

Irritatingly, the area under the quarterlights matches the camo scheme, so we have to make sure paint can't get into the cockpit while leaving that open so we can paint it and then add the clear bits later. What could go wrong?

Speaking of my little man, he graduated kindergarten, which apparently merits a ceremony these days.

52119471759_36903a3f73_h.jpgPXL_20220603_004740977 by Edward IX, on Flickr

He cried when he got his diploma. In the car on the way home, Grant asked him if he was happy to graduate, and he replied "I love it and I hate it. I love it because it's part of my journey to adulthood, and I hate it because [voice breaking] I'm leaving my school." 

I will note, that at the afterparty, I heard someone had pushed over another kid, and I reflexively called out for Winston, only to have a little girl in the graduating class correct me: "Oh no, not Winston. He's everybody's friend." 

• Like 19
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Procopius said:

"Oh no, not Winston. He's everybody's friend." 

That is very good news.

8 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Anyone is welcome to physically discipline Winston, with the understanding that I will kill them with my car after I find out. Unlike me, my children are not so afraid of their parents that they will not tell them when adults harm them.

This too is fabulous news Edward, proud of you pal.

The Kittyhawk is becoming fabulous, those grilles?

Mahrvellous!

A Kittyhawk is moving into visual range soon if I find a 'right place, right price' offering between here and coming home from Telford.

No I will not be etching the wheel wells, oh no.

• Like 4

I'm starting the Winston Is Everyones Friend Society WIEFS,  (who is he taking to the Kindergarten prom? )

My seat has been left silver which worries me as yours looks right, and am worried that the stark contrast between the zinc paint on the undercart wells and the Med Blue looks too toy like. Never too late to switch tho.

Box on

Strickers

• Like 2

Just now, HAMP man said:

I'm starting the Winston Is Everyones Friend Society WIEFS,  (who is he taking to the Kindergarten prom? )

He has carried a torch for a little girl who moved away during the pandemic, but informs me he wants to move somewhere that he can marry multiple girls. Could be some trouble in his future.

1 minute ago, HAMP man said:

My seat has been left silver which worries me as yours looks right

Just say the pilot was fidgety and scuffed it all off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I take it you have intel that Curtiss painted the seats interior green. I think I will go for the fat bottomed guy story.

Box on

Strickers