1:32 Gloster Gladiator Mk.II *FINISHED*

4 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Roger, great start fella, shame about the paint  not being that good. The MGs look good installed.

Really looking forward to this as have this kit and the Sea Gladiator in the stash with Aims extras. 

Chris

Thanks very much Chris. A bit of a let-down with the paint, but it doesn't happen that often. I am very happy with the kit so far, and I'm sure you'll make a lovely job of yours

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Thanks very much Chris. A bit of a let-down with the paint, but it doesn't happen that often. I am very happy with the kit so far, and I'm sure you'll make a lovely job of yours

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks fella that is really kind of you, got that little 72nd one to get done first.  I am just sorting the struts out for the top wing at the mo. Have a few Biplanes on the go at the mo now as just cut the bits off the sprue for the Walrus too

Chris

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Thanks fella that is really kind of you, got that little 72nd one to get done first.  I am just sorting the struts out for the top wing at the mo. Have a few Biplanes on the go at the mo now as just cut the bits off the sprue for the Walrus too

Chris

And very nice the little Sea Glad is looking too. I look forward to seeing the Walrus take shape :clap2:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi All,

Some solid progress on the Glad today, after a morning of lawn mowing, rose pruning and weed spraying - get me! A rather more relaxing afternoon detail painting the cockpit, and assembling. Here's the port framework in position:

20220702-131647.jpg

In the right hands a super detailer could go to town on this cockpit, but I'm happy with the kit detail as presented. Next I started to assemble the painted bits. The Yahu instrument panel included a PE trim wheel - here it is alongside the moulded equivalent:

20220702-133715.jpg

I decided that I preferred the look of the moulded part so elected to go with that. Here's the cockpit floor starting to come together:

20220702-134308.jpg

You can see the compass in position. The face also came from the Yahu set - looks lovely! 🤩 The IP itself is a thing of beauty:

20220702-132920.jpg

Bit of a rubbish photo, but you get the idea. Next the top deck - you can just see the 'other' IP attached to the underside:

20220702-134540.jpg

This is coming together nicely. The kit fit and engineering is superb, as is the detail - ICM are to be congratulated. The final bit of PE was the radio - the instruction places it here:

20220702-140246.jpg

Bit pointless really, as it will be covered over by a bulkhead and never seen! :banghead:Here's the lovely Eduard Sutton harness in position:

20220702-142145.jpg

And another shot showing some of that detail:

20220702-142353.jpg

After a bit more light drybrushing and an oil wash, it was time to button up. The cockpit is still nice and visible, which is a bonus!

20220702-145628.jpg

20220702-145640.jpg

Building this kit has been a most enjoyable experience thus far, and even in 1:32 it doesn't build into a large model - highly recommended! That's all until tomorrow,

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 18

8 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great to see this progress Roger, looks wonderful,  iCM have done a fantastic job with this kit.  The Yahu IP does look gorgeous too.  Great work looking forward to seeing this build up.

Chris

Thanks very much Chris - I'm sure you'll enjoy this one when you start it!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dunny said:

Thanks very much Chris - I'm sure you'll enjoy this one when you start it!

Cheers,

Roger

I certainly am looking forward to building mine.  I definitely agree the kit trim wheel is much better than he PE version. Forgot to add that to my initial post earlier. 

Great work on yours

Chris

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, mark.au said:

That cockpit looks great Roger.  How are you finding working the scale difference between this and the Sunderland?

Mark,

To be honest I'm ignoring the difficult Sunderland in favour of the big'n easy Glad. Am I a bad man? I suspect so...

Cheers,

Roger

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

Congrats Roger !!

Great looking internals !!

CC

Thanks very much CC. You would love this kit - or maybe 3 (Faith, Hope & Charity?). Now that would be a big CC build!

Cheers,

Roger

• Haha 2

Agreed on the cockpit, and I prefer Yahu panels to Eduard when I can get them. I was quite disappointed when Eduard brought out the LooK series of IPs that the dials had dashes rather than numbers on them.

Very nice Sutton harness also.

John. 🇺🇦

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Dunny said:

Thanks very much CC. You would love this kit - or maybe 3 (Faith, Hope & Charity?). Now that would be a big CC build!

Cheers,

Roger

Hold my beer but 1/48 mode....

CC

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Ooh Roger that is a cracking looking cockpit.

I may be tempted to get that Yahu panel for my Sea Gladiator.

Looking forward to more.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks very much Alistair. I certainly recommend the Yahu set!

6 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Agreed on the cockpit, and I prefer Yahu panels to Eduard when I can get them. I was quite disappointed when Eduard brought out the LooK series of IPs that the dials had dashes rather than numbers on them.

Very nice Sutton harness also.

John. 🇺🇦

Thanks very much John. I haven't yet used any of the LooK series, but that does sound like a curious decision!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

Hold my beer but 1/48 mode....

CC

Beer held CC. I can hear the elves packing up 3 Glads at your LHS 🤣

• Haha 4

20 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Beer held CC. I can hear the elves packing up 3 Glads at your LHS 🤣

😉 He will have to distract Mrs CC again to sneak them in!!! Get that book of raffle tickets ready and he can say look what I won !!! May just work:whistle:

You certainly will like the ICM kits CC.

• Haha 3

Hi All,

Some more strong progress on the Glad today! First order of business was attaching the empennage, which just fell together, as did the wings. Here's a shot just to show the surface texture and rib detail, which is lovely:

20220703-105953.jpg

Here's a shot with the lower wing attached - fit again lovely, with little filler required:

20220703-110640.jpg

Another shot of the undersides, just to prove the fit was lovely!!

20220703-110654.jpg

Before I started attaching the glazing I painted the gunsight. Rather curiously there is no transparency provided with the kit, which is a bit of an oddity at this scale. I therefore cut out a small section of packaging plastic:

20220703-113753.jpg

Here it is fixed in position with Krystal Kleer:

20220703-113902.jpg

And here it is mounted in the cockpit:

20220703-114123.jpg

Doesn't look too bad? Once that was complete I was able to mask the glazing using the Montex masks. Here the components are masked:

20220703-115232.jpg

And, once again, fixed in position (quality and fit of the glazing is exceptional) :

20220703-115840.jpg

Once I'd done some light sanding and general cleanup, everything was masked prior to priming. Here's those MGs covered up:

20220703-122839.jpg

Next was a squirt of interior grey-green for the canopy:

20220703-150551.jpg

And here's the current state of play with everything under a coat of primer:

20220703-154458.jpg

A bit of cleaning up to do, but all looking rather lovely! 😍 That's all until next time,

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 15

Oh wow what great progress Roger and so good to know that the fit is so good, getting excited to see more and finding it harder to resist picking up mine!!!

Great work fella, looking forward to seeing the painting stage.

Chris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

getting excited to see more and finding it harder to resist picking up mine!!!

Thanks Chris - you should be excited, it's an awesome kit!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Thanks Chris - you should be excited, it's an awesome kit!

Oh mate , thanks I am glad to be able to follow along with this one in the meantime. You're doing a cracking job too.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, thommo said:

Very nice.  I love the old Gladiator.

Thanks very much Thommo - it is quite a pugnacious little aircraft!