1:32 Gloster Gladiator Mk.II *FINISHED*

Just catching up on this: very informative, some useful discussion on the subtleties of biplane camouflage, and it's coming along nicely, I look forward to seeing the finished model.

On 5/28/2022 at 5:31 AM, Dunny said:

N5581 of 615 Sqn RAF, which Montex have based at RAF Kenley in August 1939 ...  Imagine my further confusion when searching on 615 (County of Surrey) Sqn (as noted in the above pic), there appears a completely different squadron code ('KW' as opposed to 'RR'), with one of the box schemes being the former based at St Inglevert (Northern France) in April 1940.

Squadron codes were changed generally on the outbreak of war.  Of course, there were exceptions - at least one unit (92 Sqn iirc, but I stand to be corrected) carried their pre-war codes into 1940.

• Thanks 1

Hi All,

Some more progress on the Gladiator today. I took a sick day as I was feeling under the weather, and didn't want to risk spreading the spicy sneeze at work, but did eventually drag myself to the bench 🤧 - my youngest is also recovering well, for those that offered kind wishes. The first job was some final bits of paintwork. This scheme shows a distinctive red repair patch on the port fuselage:

20220710-103807.jpg

I therefore masked up this area:

20220711-111457.jpg

You may also have noted that the wheel hubs are red with a white rim. I'd already made one botched attempt to spray the hubs, so stripped them back to bare plastic, reprimed them, and laid down another layer of white. I did try my first abortive attempt at printing my own decals, but they were far too transparent, particularly with the luminous white shining through. I was umming and errring about what to do next, when I realised that my unused Montex masks (AKA 'The Boring Scheme') contained masks for the roundels. Well blow me if the centre of the roundel wasn't exactly the right size (13mm if you are interested) 🤩 These were duly applied, and the hubs sprayed in my home brew roundel red mix:

20220711-114300.jpg

That'll do me! I also belatedly realised that I have a complete set of masks to complete a Finnish aircraft:

20220711-160512.jpg

I'm never likely to use these @Learstang , so Jason let me know if you're interested - would be happy to donate them to the cause (although it does not get you around your camouflage problem!) :banghead:

Once these had been assembled and finish coated I attached the undercarriage struts - lovely positive location:

20220711_122536.jpg

Once these had dried the wheels were attached, and she was on her legs! Again, the Mercury is just posed *for effect*:

20220711_130820.jpg

It was then flat coat time, which took 3 coats before I was happy with the effect:

20220711_140930.jpg

And with the canopy unmasked, wing machine guns placed within their pods, and the access door fixed in position (oh, and that lovely airscrew!):

20220711_143302.jpg

Main plane and cabane struts were then attached, and left to settle down. Lovely positive location for all struts:

20220711_152451.jpg

Finally, here's a couple of teaser shots with the upper wing posed in position:

20220711_153320.jpg

20220711_153344.jpg

So the next job on the list will be the rigging. I've come to the revelation that my issues with rigging have been down to using the wrong adhesive. I've got some instant-set CA on order (of course I had to order an Airfix 1:48 Blenheim Mk.I to make up the postage 🤫), so when that arrives I shall indulge in a marathon rigging session with the Glad, as well as the Albacore and Sunderland due to receive some long overdue TLC

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 15

1 hour ago, MikeC said:

I look forward to seeing the finished model.

Thanks for the kind words Mike - much appreciated!

Cheers,

Roger

15 minutes ago, John_W said:

Lovely work.

I have the 1/48 Roden Kit on the shelf of doom, a much more challenging kit and very much "Fits where it touches".

Thanks for the kind words John - much appreciated. This is a world away from the Roden kit (from what I have heard) - fit and engineering are exemplary,

Cheers,

Roger

I had the Roden kit some time ago but after trying to test fit it, sold it at a kit-swap, but I think I’ll definitely have one of these. I have a birthday coming up in a couple of months so I’ll start dropping hints to SWMBO😗

That’s a very complicated scheme and well executed, but I think I’ll probably go for a silver Mk1.

John. 🇺🇦

13 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

That’s a very complicated scheme and well executed, but I think I’ll probably go for a silver Mk1.

Thanks for the kind words John. For a 1:32 kit it's not a bank-breaker, so hint away to SWMBO!

Cheers,

Roger

Oooooo that looks splendid Roger,  the wheels came out well, what a lucky find re the masks.   I like yer style  yhe Blenheim to make the order up😉 will have to remember that one too.

Great work fella   take the rigging slow and steady and you will enjoy it and it will be done quicker than you think.

Great work fella

Chris

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oooooo that looks splendid Roger,  the wheels came out well, what a lucky find re the masks.   I like yer style  yhe Blenheim to make the order up😉 will have to remember that one too.

Great work fella   take the rigging slow and steady and you will enjoy it and it will be done quicker than you think.

Great work fella

Chris

Thanks very much Chris - there's a fair bit to do across the 3 models so slow & steady it will be!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

-All my best for the rigging,

-After the Saab 29 from FLY MODEL I'm working on , it will be this ICM beauty to invade my work bench. My biggest worry is that damm rigging.....

-In my glorious 72 days I developped a rather strange process wich proved successfull..... to my own sense...... First I drilled holes were they should be on the upper lower wing and glued through the fishing wire, with a sufficient length, assembled both surfaces after having made a bundle wtih the wire to avoid problems as much as possible during the building steps  ......then after the usual assembly and painting process. masts inclued, I drilled the corresponding holes on the lower duly painted upper wing, in those days I didn't worry that much about weathering......settled  it in place over the masts...... after some struggle as you may guess, the wires can be stretched and secured with a drop of C.A glue on this upper lower surface, and cover the whole with the upper part.

-It works reasonnably well with a kit offering separated half wings and gives the model with and interesting strength, btw I didn't built a lot of bi-planes, and I'am still reluctant with them but I may change my mind wih this Glad which as I can see with yours, is really promising....But the rigging...😠

- I bought a set of etched metal bracing wires from AIMS,( 32 PE009 ) I think I'm running toward another kind of troubles, I still don't know wether I will use them or not; on the + side they are streamlined........Let's see

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Me too, rigging-phobia is the reason I don’t normally build biplanes.

John

Slow and steady (and the right CA) are the way forward!

8 hours ago, IPMS19 said:

it will be this ICM beauty to invade my work bench. My biggest worry is that damm rigging....

That will be something to look forward to! I am going to try out Bob's Buckles on this and my Albacore, which will be a first for me...

9 hours ago, Dunny said:

Slow and steady (and the right CA) are the way forward!

That will be something to look forward to! I am going to try out Bob's Buckles on this and my Albacore, which will be a first for me...

-I have Gaspatch models given for 1/32 metal buckles ,they look very small, I even don't know if a 0,8 fishing wire may go through and I have doubt about being metallic, hence strength , if some one knows more about these..?

6 minutes ago, IPMS19 said:

-I have Gaspatch models given for 1/32 metal buckles ,they look very small, I even don't know if a 0,8 fishing wire may go through and I have doubt about being metallic, hence strength , if some one knows more about these..?

I'm afraid I can't comment on fishing wire - I use Uschi rigging thread for my needs...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dunny said:

I'm afraid I can't comment on fishing wire - I use Uschi rigging thread for my needs...

-Fishing wire has very interesting properties. I use it each time when I need some wiring, notably for antennas wires, and rigging at occasion.; It is sturdy and can be tensed without problem, this gives you a perfectly straight line, insensitive to humidity which means no slackness, can be easily fixed where you need with a drop of C.A glue, it is cheap and can be found everywhere,a reel is enough for your life you may find different thickness according the scale you are working, it can be slightly  green or blue colored, or not, but you can paint it. In this case it may looks oversized, just use lower gauge wire. I often use it natural, at small gauge the color is unnoticeable, and remain perfectly visible, On the wrong side it has no elasticity but this capacity is not really usefull with this matérial...

Just try it and make your mind......🥂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IPMS19 said:

gWVDq8.jpg

-To illustrate my previous post, the bracing wires were made of fishing wire

Now that makes the case for fishing wire - stunning work indeed!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IPMS19 said:

gWVDq8.jpg

-To illustrate my previous post, the bracing wires were made of fishing wire

Seeing as we're talking Stringbags, here's one of mine from last year:

20210418-152001.jpg

Completed with the Tamiya PE rigging set, which was a joy...

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Seeing as we're talking Stringbags, here's one of mine from last year:

20210418-152001.jpg

Completed with the Tamiya PE rigging set, which was a joy...

-Any troubles with P.E  bracing,?

4 minutes ago, IPMS19 said:

It was a little fiddly, but very effective. On balance I would say as good as any other method.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, IPMS19 said:

Here's my one and only other effort at full rigging, using Uschi thread:

20200411-142857.jpg

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Here's my one and only other effort at full rigging, using Uschi thread:

20200411-142857.jpg

-Uschi thread looks, to me, more réalistic than P.E parts, that don't ease my dilemma for my Glad to come......   Congrats for your  excellents Stringbag and Walrus

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Blimey I think I  missed that lovely Walrus Roger, sorry fella, is there a link to the thread?

Chris

Here you go Chris!

• Thanks 2