D'you do Voodoo? Part 2

lovely use of the varying metallics enzo. that makes such a difference than one flat coat of silver, but its always scary masking over metallics, but seems like you were problem free.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Dansk said:

seems like you were problem free.

:hmmm:   not exactly...   look beneath the cockpit just aft of the gun ports.  See that horrid great thumb print?  Look at the dark panels on the wings.  The shapes near the wingtips don't match.   But they should be relatively easily sorted. 

• Like 1

Great job on the BMF so far, Enzio!

For me, on BMF finishes, is no bare hands after the primer goes on.  I by 10-packs of the little white gloves that band members use, not to get prints on their shiny instruments.  I buy the seconds, which are cheaper and wear them while handling the model.  I find them on-line fairly inexpensively.  While they will get paint stains, etc., I just toss them in the wash with my white clothes, and they can still be used, even if discolored.

Also, for those afraid to mask over bare metal finishes, I recommend Parafilm "M" for masking these troublesome critters.  What did you use, Enzio?

Ed

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TheRealMrEd said:

For me, on BMF finishes, is no bare hands after the primer goes on.  I by 10-packs of the little white gloves that band members use, not to get prints on their shiny instruments.

Wot?  Like the white gloves I use to handle my coin and comic book collections?  :D  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheRealMrEd said:

Also, for those afraid to mask over bare metal finishes, I recommend Parafilm "M" for masking these troublesome critters.  What did you use, Enzio?

I find the key is preparation of the plastic surface.  I spray a couple of coats of clear lacquer onto the plastic before the primer.  The lacquer is relatively "hot" and allows the primer to key onto the model.  Masking is done using ordinary Tamiya tape for the edges but I stick it to the back of my hand first to reduce the tack slightly.   The rest of the masking is done with a very cheap masking tape from my local discount shop.  The tape barely sticks to the paint surface but sticks readily to itself and the Tamiya tape.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

I do love the Suffolk countryside on the box art!

I thought that was Denver Sluice...   :lol:

Mind, you, that's in Norfolk...

John Peel, the legendary radio DJ, lived in Stowmarket.  He owned a classic Chevrolet Stingray.  However, he only drove it twice a year.  He would drive from Stowmarket to Denver Sluice and back again.   Just so he could claim he drove his Chevy to the levee...    :lol:   

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to see there's another Suffolk Voodoo coming along. Glad that your top wing surface to fuslage issues worked out well. I'm building the same kit & looks like you're just edging ahead in the metal panel masking stakes. I used a wooden coffee stirrer as a brace to push the fuselage out a millimeter each side to meet up with the wing, thankfully didn't need anything to fill it with & just let the Tamiya xtra thin do its thing. My previous attempt (which we won't mention) needed loads of filler. I also noticed a discrepancy in the design of the Valom canopy which didn't look right to my eye so I did some chiseling & added the canopy screen from the old Hasegawa kit.

I haven't been as brave as you though with the laquer metal from AK & have gone for the Vallejo Metal Colour range. I have got some Alclad but I found when I painted a Lightning with the Airframe Aluminium that it was too bright & reflective - toy like.

I'm building it as 54-1475 from the Microscale sheet. Love the different colorful schemes of the 81st & if I was a faster builder would build all the different colour tailed aircraft.

Must try & find some more of these Valom kits, also tempted to see if a kitbash with the Revell twin seater is viable as some details in that kit are far better.

Martin

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

They look like they have worked very nicely.

I had my doubts about the fin decals but they responded well to Microsol.  Once dry, a thin coat of matt lacquer helped as well.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Finished!  :yahoo:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Just a comment on this one.  The single belly tank isn't a mistake.  It was found that two belly tanks caused interference drag, thereby reducing the range of the aircraft.  A Voodoo with one tank had a greater range than one with two!

And to answer the question posed by this thread:  Yes.  I do do Voodoo!  :D 

• Like 5