D'you do Voodoo? Part 2

8 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Will you be building one of the UK based machines?

Indeed.  The kit provides markings for an aircraft from 78 TFS, 81 TFW based at RAF Woodbridge in August 1960.

3 hours ago, Dansk said:

Will this be a bare metal foil project perhaps? 

No.  Just different shades of Xtreme Metal and Alclad. 

• Like 2

Valom provide four different boxings of the Voodoo:  F-101A, RF-101A, F-101C, RF-101C.  The only difference in the box is the decals.  The plastic and resin parts and PE sheet are identical, so you can build whichever version you want from whichever boxing you choose.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The wheels, intake trinking and afterburners are provided in resin.  The undercarriage doors and other details are in PE.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Dansk said:

Looks good Enzo. Awesome with PE undercarriage doors, they’ll look wafer metal thin.

I do like this kit.   It's not the most detailed kit in the world and it's not up to the latest standards, but it's a nice workman-like kit.  And it's a Voodoo...   what's not to like?

I bought one of each boxing so still have two in The Stash.  :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

The plastic and resin parts and PE sheet are identical, so you can build whichever version you want from whichever boxing you choose.

Thats good to know as sometimes you see some versions for sale at cheaper prices than others.

🇺🇦

2 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Thats good to know as sometimes you see some versions for sale at cheaper prices than others.

Scalemates tells me that Valom released nine different boxings.  I imagine that the RF-101G/H version has an extra resin nose.

https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?fkSECTION[]=All&q=1%3A72+valom+voodoo*

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here we go.  Hold on tight, rider!  :lol:

I added a modicum of detail to the "parcel shelf" just to make it look a bit more busy.  The plastic card strips in the lower fuselage are to prevent the transparencies falling into the fuselage when they are fitted at the end of the build.  Learniung from experience.  :D 

spacer.png

The main undercarriage bays have three walls each.  There is also a longitudinal bulkhead which is fitted to the interior of the wing uppersurface. The intake ducts are cast in resin components which fit nicely.

spacer.png

Yhe nose undercarriage bay is built from three components.  The instrument panels and consoles are provided as decals.

spacer.png

The wing components were sprayed with aluminium paint from a rattle can.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

The cockpit was then fitted.  There is plenty of room for ballast in this model.

spacer.png

The fuselage was closed up and the lower wing assembly fitted.  The instructions recommend it be fitted in this manner.  In my previous Voodoo build a completed thhe wing and then fitted it, causing some problems.  So this time I followed the instruction sequence.  :D

spacer.png

I then fitted the upper wing surfaces.  It is essential that they be fitted so the leading and trailing edges match up correctly.  This will leave quite a wide gap at the wingroots,  which I filled with plastic car shims and filler.   It's very blurry, but you get the gist.

spacer.png

Don't attempt to close up the gaps by fitting the upper wing surfaces touching the fuselage.  This will just leave you with odd steps where the wing leading and trailing edges and the wingtips don't meet.

But with a bit of careful work it looks okay.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, arfa1983 said:

What are those two big offset holes behind the front wheel well? 

Transparencies for cameras, perhaps? At any rate, nice work on the Voodoo, Enzo! The underside of the back end looks quite 'Phantomish' - you can see the family resemblance there. I definitely will pick up one of these.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Additional comment added.
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, arfa1983 said:

What are those two big offset holes behind the front wheel well? 

10 minutes ago, Learstang said:

Transparencies for cameras, perhaps?

That's the one!  :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

spacer.png

The metal tones in this picture are all from AK Xtreme Metal.   The main colour is AK479 Aluminium.  The darker panels are a 70:30 mix of AK479 Aluminium and AK480 Dark Aluminium.

The ailerons and other panels of lighter grade metal are sprayed in AK477 Chrome.  Smaller panels are picked out in AK482 Duralumin.

The rear fuselage area - which cannot be seen in this shot :wall:  -  was sprayed with Valleo Acrylic Metal Color 77.703 Dark Aluminium, with the areas nearer to the jet nozzles highlighted with Alclad ALC-113 Jet Exhaust.

• Like 11