Trumpeter 1/72 F-105D

My entry for this GB. 

Box art:

20220527_225738

Sprues still sealed. Lots of rivets on the surface though, but I'm probably going to leave them and save myself some annoyance. 

20220527_225833

Not a whole heap of AM stuff, at 1/72 I generally don't go all in. 

20220527_225920

Probably going for an aluminum lacquer finish I *think* is correct for the time frame. Will do the SEA camo when/if I ever end up with the "G" Thud in my paws. 

• Like 7

An excellent choice. :thumbsup: 

I will be building the same kit.   Quickboost do a replacement ventral fin for this kit.  The kit fin is far too thick and the wrong shape.  However, it's not really necessary as a file and some filler will solve the problem.   

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

An excellent choice. :thumbsup: 

I will be building the same kit.   Quickboost do a replacement ventral fin for this kit.  The kit fin is far too thick and the wrong shape.  However, it's not really necessary as a file and some filler will solve the problem.   

Need to look into this, thanks for the tip. Not planning for an intensive build, will see what I have to do or if I can get the resin part in time (I should have it end June I think if I order now from my contact...). 

• Like 2

A great choice of subject, the Thud is a mean looking machine!

The aluminium finish does look very good on the Thud too but you might need to check references to see whether one can be built straight from the box as the majority of the aluminium finished aircraft hadn't got the air scoops fitted for the engine cooling and had different gas vents for the gun.

🇺🇦

Edited by modelling minion
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, modelling minion said:

A great choice of subject, the Thud is a mean looking machine!

The aluminium finish does look very good on the Thud too but you might need to check references to see whether one can be built straight from the box as the majority of the aluminium finished aircraft hadn't got the air scoops fitted for the engine cooling and had different gas vents for the gun.

🇺🇦

Read this this morning, and spent some quality time on the throne of contemplation today doing some light reading on this. Found Giorgio N's build from a 5 year old Nam GB build on this here site. After much consideration, with particular attention payed to my skillz level and desire for something quick, I think I'm doing a SEA bird instead! 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Evil_Toast_RSA said:

Read this this morning, and spent some quality time on the throne of contemplation today doing some light reading on this. Found Giorgio N's build from a 5 year old Nam GB build on this here site. After much consideration, with particular attention payed to my skillz level and desire for something quick, I think I'm doing a SEA bird instead! 

I don't blame you, I did the conversion years ago on a 1/48 F-105F and it was far from easy at times.

And there are a lot of very nice SEA schemed aircraft out there.

🇺🇦

On 28/05/2022 at 15:39, Dansk said:

Welcome. Looks like you get a considerable set of mk.82's with it. Will you opt to build loaded up?

Been pondering this question, so don't think I'm ignoring you! 

Kit comes with: 2 x AGM-12 Bullpups, 8 x Mk.82's and 2 x wing & 1 x center gas bags. 

AGM-12's I think are not common from what I've seen so not doing them. I do have a good couple left over SnakeEyes from a Academy F-8, but I'm not terribly sure to be honest, think I can use them, specifically mounted on the center hardpoint on a MER from the same/another kit*. Or not. Use the kits Mk.82's there, and whack 2 appropriate Sidewinders on the outer pylons? 

* - ideally I would like to use M117's (??) here, but alas I have none. 

• Like 1

One of the good things about the Thud in SEA is that there were lots of different combinations of weapons used. Bullpups certainly were carried but as you say it wasn't the most common weapon employed, a centreline pylon with either M117's or Mk.82's and an AIM-9 on the outer pylon was often seen.

🇺🇦

• Thanks 1

A kit I'm keen on buying, so I shall be dropping in on this build from time to time. Best of luck with your Thud!

Regards,

Jason

P.S. I'm glad you're going for the SEA camo version as that's the one I'll probably build.

9 hours ago, philp said:

Depending on the time during the war, and ECM pod on an outer pylon would be very common also.

Which ECM pod was used? I stumbled upon 2 1/72 Hasegawa Weapon sets available locally (I & IV). I think "I" has 6 (??) M117's I can use, and "IV" has some ECM pods but not sure if they are from the correct time period? For reference: 1 x each ALQ-101 | ALQ-119 | AN/ALQ-131 | AN/ALQ-87 ECM Pod

I *think* the ALQ-101 was used on F-4's later on in 'Nam? 

Edited by Evil_Toast_RSA
Formatting

I would put £ on the ALQ-87 early on. 

Correction found this, they usually carried the ALQ-71 early on until the G model which had the pods mounted to the fuselage. 

https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit/Museum-Exhibits/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/197465/alq-71-electronic-countermeasures-ecm-pod/

KnsFbtZ.jpg

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I would put £ on the ALQ-87 early on. 

Correction found this, they usually carried the ALQ-71 early on until the G model which had the pods mounted to the fuselage. 

By the looks of it, I can add 2 blade antenna's to the ALQ-87 to make an incredibly drunk accurate 1/72 ALQ-71? Maybe shape the one side too. 

• Like 1

Been slapping some glue around this week. So far the fit has been a bit iffy in places.

- cockpit is pretty basic, eh, in 1/72 don't mind too much.

- gun cover slotted in okay, one corner needed putty. Refueling probe cover wasn't so hot. 

- blanked off the intakes so I don't have a Matchbox "see all the way in" issue. 

- some pin marks I need to deal with in the cockpit sidewalls (done) and exhaust which *might* be visible. 

- still not sure if the front landing gear needs to be attached now. Will check later. 

- cut off ventral fin in preparation for the resin replacement. Committed now!

20220609_203025

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Dansk said:

good progress mate. i find it always scary cutting off bits to replace them with AM. 😬

does it need noseweight this kit?

Not sure. The instructions don't say, then again my Gannet didn't mention that either and I ended up sticking lead into the nose wheel well at the end!

Going to put some in the front and leave the nose off just in case, but I think this planes one of those rare ones where nothing is needed. 

• Like 1