Ford Mustang GT4 - tamiya 1/24 by fnick

Hi all

This is going to be more of a placeholder as I'll initially be concentrating on the E type. I got this one on a bit of a whim when I heard it was discounted on Amazon and my wife needed another purchase to get free delivery. And you know I like to help...😄

This is the beast

spacer.png

I'm going to take a bit of a risk with this one colour wise. There's a Audi A4 parked near to where I live that is flat black with some parts in carbon fibre. To me it just makes the car look mean and lean! I thought that would look really good on this one.

So the body is going to be flat black with a flat clear coat. Some parts like the side skirts, mirrors and spoiler will be carbon fibre. I'm also going to use tamiya smoke to tint the rear side windows and the rear windscreen.

But yeah most of the car will be black! I'm tempted to paint the break calipers in red just to add a splash of colour. There is also the possibility that I'll add a bit of red on the seat,door cards and part of the dashboard bur I've not decided that yet.

First job on this was to get all the parts ready for primer. I had to go through the instructions a few times to work out which parts needed to be in flat black and which parts needed to have a coat of semi gloss black as a base for the carbon fibre decals.

Here's what the body looks like at the mo.

spacer.png

And here are all the parts that are going to get the carbon fibre treatment.

spacer.png

I've bought tamiya carbon fibre in the hope that it won't be affected by tamiya semi gloss clear lacquer!

Thanks for looking, Nick

• Like 9

All I'll say on the Tamiya Clear is that mist coats are your friend - don't be afraid to lay down 3 or 4 of them before you apply the wet coats and you should be ok unless the semi-gloss is hotter than the full gloss.

Also, I assume you are aware of the risk of silvering, but just in case try laying down somethin gfrom the decal sheet (such as the product identifier on a piece of matt black first to make sure it goes down ok.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Spiny!

Yes I'll definitely do mist coats this time on a scrap piece. I think I was a bit too hasty with the decals on my Ferrari 330p4 in applying wet coats and we all remember how that turned out...☹️ (Well I do anyway 😄)

Nick 

Can't say I'm a fan of matt paint on cars, but your plan sounds interesting Nick, will be good to see how it looks! Don't know if you watch full size car videos on youtube, but one channel I watch - Retropower - just finished a motorsport based Vauxhall Chevette they named 'Vader' - basically because everything was black on it - and it did look really mean! :)

Picking up on @Spiny's point on silvering - I also build model aircraft and am of the old school where we always gloss coat before decalling (there's much discussion these days about whether it's necessary with new paints, but you can't teach an old dog....) then give the model a final coat of whatever sheen is needed, which is invariably matt.

Keith

• Thanks 1

Cheers Keith

29 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

will be good to see how it looks

I'm afraid you're going to have to be patient! Thanks for the advice on decalling. It will be my first time using carbon fibre. I was thinking of using semi gloss over the carbon to give it a bit of a sheen since I have some Matt varnish as well I may experiment.

Nick

I use automotive clear from car paint suppliers on ebay, use this with Mr Levelling thinner as its less aggressive to the decals when going over to seal them in. Also its not affected by decal softener like some of the hobby clears

1 LITRE 1K CLEAR COAT LACQUER / HIGH GLOSS / UV / READY FOR USE / TechniQ GLASS | eBay

They also do semi gloss/matt

It says ready to use, would be for a body shop paint guns but needs thinning more for model airbrushes

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Evening all

The GT4 is now painted. I'm quite please how it's looking in flat black. 

spacer.png

Next steps is to start the decalling. Looking forward to that.

Thanks for looking, Nick 

• Like 7

53 minutes ago, Fnick said:

Evening all

The GT4 is now painted. I'm quite please how it's looking in flat black. 

spacer.png

Next steps is to start the decalling. Looking forward to that.

Thanks for looking, Nick 

Is that flat black or flat primer grey 😉

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all

Still ticking over. I've got all the carbon fibre decalling done. Next time I'll try something a bit easier for my first attempt at using the stuff!😄. Some pretty complex shapes in there. Not as good as it could be but good enough.

spacer.png

Couple of touch ups here and there were required.

Next steps are painting the windows using the provided masks and attempting to tint the rear ones using tamiya smoke.

Thanks for looking, Nick 

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

Morning all

Now that the E type is finished it's back to the Mustang. I have to admit that when I picked it up again I thought: this is just going to be another 50 shades of black! 

As you can see given the overall look I want for the car I did not want to keep to the original colour call out so no white, metallic blue, titanium gold or silver on the underneath of the chassis. It's all black, aluminium, steel and a splash of silver! 😄

Here's the rear suspension and brake discs done

spacer.png

And the front done as well.

spacer.png

Keeping with the dark theme the break calipers are gloss black. It does mean the red decal is not as obvious it could be...

spacer.png

And the wheels on as well. Semigloss black with the wheel nuts picked out in gloss black 

spacer.png

I know. It really pops!😄

I was a bit concerned that it would look drab when completed but I did pop the body on and I think I'll have the effect I was looking for especially once the carbon fibre trim bits are on.

Onto the interior next. I'm not going to have as much fun with this one as it's going to be, yes you've guessed it, all black!

Thanks for looking, Nick 

• Like 8

Lovely neat job.  I'm always agonising over underside colour schemes, trying various shades of black, gunmetal and silver to get a realistic look.  That looks just right.

• Thanks 1

Thanks gents!

3 hours ago, keefr22 said:

can have any colour you like as long as it's...... :)

Very good Keith! 😄. Interesting fact when the ford T first came out black was not one of the available colours...

Nick

• Like 1

Cheers Andy

Have to admit it's going to be a challenge making the interior look interesting whilst keeping the black theme going... All parts going into the interior do far have all been done in semigloss black!😄

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Morning all

Interior done. Not much to say really. If you look really hard you can see a few non-black colours! 😄

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I left the door cards off for the above to help visibility. They are on below.

spacer.png

Next up is starting work on the body. This will include adding all the carbon fibre parts onto it so I'll soon get a good idea of what it will look like finished...

Thanks for looking, Nick 

• Like 7

On 04/12/2022 at 21:07, Fnick said:

Have to admit it's going to be a challenge making the interior look interesting whilst keeping the black theme going

You've certainly achieved that, looking forward to see what you do with the carbon fibre - Andy 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Andy! I don't deserve the praise!😊 The bits in colour are just what the instructions say to do!

All the carbon fibre work was done over the Summer as I needed to semigloss it. So it's all ready to glue on.

Nick

• Like 1