Jaguar E type - Revell 1/24 by fnick

7 minutes ago, Spiny said:

Dare I say that with a black wash the one on the left would look pretty good for kit wire wheels?

I'm sure they would, although the new wheels are an improvement.

This is definitely a build that gives me hope and inspiration for when I tackle my Revell E-type.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Spiny said:

Dare I say that with a black wash the one on the left would look pretty good for kit wire wheels?

Completely agree Spiny. Like I said a bit of an unfair comparison... 🙂. I do personally think though that the kit chrome is far too blingy.

1 hour ago, johnlambert said:

This is definitely a build that gives me hope and inspiration for when I tackle my Revell E-type.

Thank you John. Very kind. It is a lovely kit. I'm sure you'll do it justice when you get round to building it.

Colin that is a very fine model. Out of interest is that the kit chrome? Or did you paint it?

Nick

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Morning all

Some progress to report. Has been a bit slow recently but I had to go on holiday with the wife and kids!😋

I've been busy masking parts to get all the areas that require chrome painted up.

spacer.png

Work is also progressing on the chassis

spacer.png

spacer.png

The next step is to fit the engine but I need to start adding the ignition wires. Issue with that is that the wires go over a couple of bits that are added later down the line so I need to work out how I'm going to do all that.

Thanks for looking

Nick

• Like 11

Morning all

All ignition wires are ready. I also discovered the masochistic pleasure of distributor drilling! It got somewhat mangled in the process but once the wiring is in it will not be noticeable.

spacer.png

The main issue is that the wires need to go over the following pieces which are not installed till later on.

spacer.png

So my plan is to glue the ignition wires into the engine but only glue them into the distributor once the above pieces have been installed. It will be tight by I think it is manageable... fingers crossed on that one!

Everything plugged in engine side.

spacer.png

I've added a small blob.of PVA glue to help keep the wiring tidy. This should dry clear. I also added the engine decals (which I nearly forgot about!🙄)

spacer.png

Bit fiddly to do but it is a nice detail to add.

Thanks for looking, Nick 

• Like 13

Looking good! Quick (too late) tip on distributor drilling... I used to try to drill separate holes on each point. I found that 6 in 1/24 I could just about do with separate holes, but 8, in 1/25, was beyond me. These days I drill out the middle of the distributor cap with a 2-3mm drill, leaving a wall, and then stick a bit of smaller diameter tube in the middle. The tube locates the end of the coil wire in the middle, and then you have a circumferential slot to get all the plug wired stuck into with superglue If you need to, you can fill any of the slot that's still visible with microballoons and more superglue, but usually I find that painted black and in position it's pretty invisible!

best,

M.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Thanks Matthew!

Main issue was drilling by hand. I used a mini drill for drilling the engine plugs and that was actually quite easy so I'd be happy to use that on the distributor when I do one next. One thing that helped immensely was using a sharp pin to create a pilot hole.

Nick

• Like 2

Nick, did you scratch build those plug leads or are they aftermarket ones?

Nice work, I hope you got the firing order correct ;)

@cmatthewbacon I was very glad of your tip for doing distributors when I did the Maserati 3500GT (12 plugs in 1:25 scale, which I think you've built too).

• Thanks 1

Thanks John!🙂

The plug leads were scratch built from 0.75mm round rod. 

2 hours ago, johnlambert said:

I hope you got the firing order correct ;)

Well I haven't got it wrong yet. That will be when I wire up the distributor!😄

Nick

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Morning all

Thank you for the likes and comments!🤗

All chrome parts have now been redone using greenstuff world chrome. Much better IMHO.

spacer.png

I'm especially pleased with the windows. The rear one was an absolute pain in the sunshine generator as the contour is hardly raised at all so trying to get an edge for a scalpel to follow is nigh on impossible.

spacer.png

I'm very tempted to cut one of the front windows out to make it easier to see the interior but I'll burn that bridge when I get to it. I also noticed since taking those pictures that one of the parts only had one coat of chrome so I'll need to fix that.

Next is back to the GT4 as I need to mask and paint the windows and try tinting them as well.

Thanks for looking, Nick 

• Like 10

7 hours ago, Fnick said:

Morning all

Thank you for the likes and comments!🤗

All chrome parts have now been redone using greenstuff world chrome. Much better IMHO.

spacer.png

I'm especially pleased with the windows. The rear one was an absolute pain in the sunshine generator as the contour is hardly raised at all so trying to get an edge for a scalpel to follow is nigh on impossible.

spacer.png

I'm very tempted to cut one of the front windows out to make it easier to see the interior but I'll burn that bridge when I get to it. I also noticed since taking those pictures that one of the parts only had one coat of chrome so I'll need to fix that.

Next is back to the GT4 as I need to mask and paint the windows and try tinting them as well.

Thanks for looking, Nick 

Nice work, Nick 👍

I would like to know if you have any idea of the durability of this GSW Chrome paint.

Will it dull ? Do you have it or are you going to varnish it, and if so, with what product so as not to alter the shine ?

CC

• Thanks 1

Hi Thierry

It's very different to molotow. Much harder so it doesn't mark when handled. Regarding varnishing I'll quote the greenstuffworld website:

"Chrome Paint

Alcohol-based metallic paint to achieve an effect that imitates the metallic reflection of a chrome surface similar to a mirror.

Designed to be used with an airbrush, always apply on glossy surfaces, preferably black or very dark. A matte base will not allow mirror-like reflections, and light colors will reduce the desired effect.

The mirror effect could be reduced or even lost if inks or varnishes are added on top.

After applying and once completely dry, in case the surface does not completely mirror, rub with something soft (brush, sponge, ear swab, cloth ...) to polish and highlight the mirror effect."

Regarding durability of shine I can't comment...

Hope this helps

Nick 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon all

These last two weeks I've been painting the remaining engine bay bits. Think I'll try and scratch build the windscreen wash reservoir as it does stick out a bit like a sore thumb!

spacer.png

I quickly tried to so that but it ended up too small but at least I have a method which means I'll be able to add the clear blue paint inside of the transparent plastic.

I've also received the new 1/43 airfix e type so I'm going to concentrate on getting that sprayed and clear coated whilst the weather allows.

Thanks for looking, Nick 

Edited by Fnick
  • Like 9

Morning all

Engine bay complete! 🙂

Messed up on a couple of decals here and there but overall pleased with how it has come out. Wiring the distributor was a bit of a pig! And if someone dares to mention firing order...😄

A few pics

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I might see if I can tidy up the wires a bit, bunch up together a bit more but I will wait until the superglue is fully cured. 

Thanks for looking, Nick 

• Like 12

On 7/23/2022 at 9:04 PM, colin said:

It does indeed

spacer.png

So  Fnick,

WE (friend and I) are  impressed by your  Jaguar E-Type model .

build .

:clap:

:clap2:

Your workmanship  is very neat and methodical and well it is just the BEST looking CLASSIC car  you have chosen to build.

:wub:  :heart:

will follow to see the end results !

:thumbsup:

Keep up the EXCELLENT work. 

:worthy:

AND I AM SAT IN ONE EXACTLY like the one in Colin's photo with exact same wheels(same design) NOW as I type this.

MY friends car ... not MINE.

:heart:

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Fnick said:

Wiring the distributor was a bit of a pig!

In 1/24th, wiring any distributor is a pig!
I still haven't found an ideal way to do this job.

It was a lot easier when I was much younger!

Cheers,

Alan.

• Thanks 1