Jaguar E type - Revell 1/24 by fnick

1 hour ago, Fnick said:

And a lot better than how we call a shade of green in French: "vert caca d'oie" which means goose poo green! 😁

But at least that's probably an accurate description of the colour!! 🤣

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Fnick said:

And a lot better than how we call a shade of green in French: "vert caca d'oie" which means goose poo green! 😁

Nick

And I even would say: All geese poop green, "sauf les petites oies blanches" (private joke untranslatable in English . a "petite oie blanche"  in French means approximately "a naughty girl")) 🤣

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Morning all

I was going to say that the body is painted and clear coated but I realised (and you can see on the pic in the last page...) that the front wing did not have enough paint so looks lighter than that door... So the bonnet paint was removed last night and I need to reprime and repaint and reclearcoat!

There is some progress to report. The engine is coming along nicely.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And here is a prototype for the ignition wires.

spacer.png

Unpainted but that will be the easy bit! 🙂

Looking at pics of the real thing the wires go over a piece that needs to be installed later so I need to work out how to proceed...

Thanks for looking

Nick 

Edited by Fnick
  • Like 10

I'll be honest in that I can't tell the difference in colour from that photo. Don't be too hard on yourself about the colour match - metallics can be very difficult to get a good match which is why I must stop forgetting to do the body and doors at the same time when I paint metallics.

Good luck with the wiring, not something I've tried yet but some day I will. At least you've only got the V6 rather than the V12 :) Good work so far on the engine

• Thanks 1

Thanks Spiny. I think regarding the colour difference it was mainly user error. I realised I wasn't pressing consistently hard on the spray nozzle sometimes. 

I'm in the middle of spraying the GT4 at the mo so it will take me a few days before the bonnet is sorted.

Nick

Edited by Fnick
  • Thanks 1

So I'm putting on the last coat of paint... And then I run out of paint which causes the spray can to splatter on my nice newly repainted bonnet...☹️

spacer.png

So I'm going to have to get done more paint and of course after I've just received an order.... Yes I know first class problems!

At least the GT4 came out ok!

Nick 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 6

I'm a bit late catching up with this but that's frustrating regarding the bonnet paint. Still, I'm sure you'll rectify it with another can. 

Here's a question - are you going to lacquer it? I tried a TS metallic for the first time on my Eunos build and it doesn't really need lacquer in that instance. Will you be going for high gloss or a more period finish?  

• Like 1

Hi Anteater

Don't worry about being late. This is a marathon not a sprint!😄

To answer your question yes I am going to use TS13 to clear gloss it but I will be sanding the clear and then polishing it back up. I found that way that you can't really see the clear layer. That's the method I used on my recent Eldorado project. The colour on that was metallic blue.

Nick

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

Slow progress. Life got in the way and then COVID got in the way...

Colour difference and splatter issues on bonnet now sorted.

spacer.png

I'm in the middle of painting the wheels. I'm still getting used to the airbrush (courtesy of @Andy J . Thanks again mate!🙂). They have been painted black. Next step is to try the greenstuffworld chrome.

Nick

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Fnick said:

Next step is to try the greenstuffworld chrome.

Be watching that with interest Nick, still haven't tried the airbrush one yet.

Jag body is looking good!

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So far my experience with the Greenstuff World Chrome is pretty much exactly the same as with the Molotow - you can brush it on but sometimes it will give you a good shiny finish and sometimes a duller or more grainy finish. And I can't work out why, there's a couple of times I've dipped the brush in what looks like a pool of chrome and it's come out dull and vice versa. On the bright side, it does seem as though the Greenstuff is a bit cheaper though.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Spiny said:

And I can't work out why, there's a couple of times I've dipped the brush in what looks like a pool of chrome and it's come out dull and vice versa.

If you don't watch the video nick linked to Spiny, you do know they do two types of Chrome paint - one for brush, the other airbrush? I have both but so far have only used the brushable one which I find is a little easier and more consistent in use than Molotow.

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's the brushable one which I have. I suspect part of the issue is that I only use it for small areas, so it doesn't necessarily get that big area necessary for the shine. For larger areas I've pretty much converted to BMF - not looking forward to finding a new sheet when mine runs out though...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Spiny said:

not looking forward to finding a new sheet when mine runs out though..

I'm still hoping Spotmodel will get stocks of Hasegawa Mirror finish, supposedly vastly superior to BMF.

K

14 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I'm still hoping Spotmodel will get stocks of Hasegawa Mirror finish, supposedly vastly superior to BMF.

K

Exact K but much less easy to apply 🙄

33 minutes ago, CrazyCrank said:

Exact K but much less easy to apply 🙄

Really? I've only seen a couple of Youtube modellers using it and they said it's easier to use and adheres far better than BMF.

I've a sheet of similar stuff made by Gunze that must be at least 15 years old, and that still sticks like glue. Unfortunately it's a dull aluminium finish rather than chrome.

Keith

• Confused 1

This looks good so far , good luck with the airbrushing.  The wheels look gorgeous,  can't wait to see what they look like in place. 

I am trying to get some of the Greenstuff World chrome paint but annoyingly can't seem to get my account reset.  Will keep trying.

Great work so far.

Chris

• Thanks 1

Afternoon all

Finally got round to trying out greenstuffworld chrome. I like! 🙂. So at first i made a booboo. I used tamiya gloss black which came out satin (could be user error...) then applied the chrome and it looked like dull aluminium. I then sprayed Revell gloss black which came out glossy and tried again.

Former on the right,latter on the left

spacer.png

And the picture does not do it justice by far. Much shinier in real life. I followed Barbados rex's advice and did super thin mist coats as best as I could.

So now I am going to strip all the kit chrome as far too many sprue points are on the visible side of the piece...

When I have some flatter pieces painted up I'll post some more pics.

For a first try very pleased with the product.

Thanks for looking, Nick 

Edited by Fnick
  • Like 7