Jaguar E type - Revell 1/24 by fnick

Evening all

Yep another E type build on this forum! You know the one! And in case you don't...

spacer.png

For this build I'm going to tentatively enter the world of airbrushing 😱. The reason is that I'm going to be replacing the kit wheels with these beauties.

spacer.png

And one in close up

spacer.png

Since there is no way I could do a decent job of applying molotow with a chrome on those I'm going to get a cordless airbrush... Yes I know...but before you all have a go at me! 😋 I'd rather not spend too much to see if I am going to use an airbrush a lot and then if that is the case then I'll get a proper one.

Anyhoo the colour I've chosen for this build is going to be fairly classic: gun metal for the body and a tan interior.

I'll be using TS cans. Here's are all the parts that require body colour.

spacer.png

And a close up of the body with the bonnet.

spacer.png

I was hoping for a slightly darker colour but apart from that I'm quite happy with how this looks. I'm going to try and detail the engine up on this one so have bought some suitable wire for this. 

Progress might be a bit slow to start of with even by my standards as I am trying to get two cars painted and clear coated at the same time. Once they are at that stage then I'll concentrate on this one.

I'll also be starting a build log for the other build.

Thanks for looking.

Nick

• Like 18

Nice to see a Jag build coming along. 

I'm still collecting things for my Revell Jag. 

So I will reserve my glass of wine for your updates. 🤗🤩 hope you will entertainment us🤗

Marco F 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Marco I'll do my best!

No pressure then...😋. Oh just out of interest what kind of "things" are you collecting for your Jag? Are you talking about detail up sets and the like?.just asking because I tried to see if there was anything but could find a thing! 

Nick

• Thanks 1

Nice start Nick.

Good luck with a 'cordless airbrush', I started off using a cheap Humbrol thing with a can of compressed air and it very nearly put me off for life! There are some fairly good cheap Chinese dual action airbrushes on ebay and a can of air would be fine for just doing the wheels. A mate in the model club has bought one of the cheapo brushes and has got some pretty good results from it. Just a thought :)

Keith

• Like 2

Hiya Nick if you can hold fire over the weekend I'm certain i have a decent compressor and an airbrush you can have mate to get you up and running in the world of airbrushing 🙂👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Nick.  I don't know what paint you are planning for your wheels, but may I suggest you start with one already pre-thinned for air brushing. It's just one less thing to go wrong when you first start.  I tend to use Alcald or AK interactive xtreme paint, however they're both lacquers so need to wear a face mask.  Also to state the obvious practice and practice again before committing any paint to the jag.  Great start so far - Andy 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Toftdale said:

Hi Nick.  I don't know what paint you are planning for your wheels, but may I suggest you start with one already pre-thinned for air brushing. It's just one less thing to go wrong when you first start.  I tend to use Alcald or AK interactive xtreme paint, however they're both lacquers so need to wear a face mask.  Also to state the obvious practice and practice again before committing any paint to the jag.  Great start so far - Andy 

Some very sound advice there Andy and may I suggest a bag of desert spoons...ideal for test spraying 😉👍

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Andy J said:

I have a decent compressor and an airbrush you can have mate

Don't know what to say Andy...😲...

2 hours ago, Toftdale said:

I don't know what paint you are planning for your wheels

Molotow chrome. Should be able to shoot it straight out of the bottle. Tom from the scale modelling channel did his Jag wheels that way.

1 hour ago, Andy J said:

desert spoons..

Think the wife might be upset if I start using our nice cutlery! 🤪

Nick

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Fnick said:

Thanks Marco I'll do my best!

No pressure then...😋. Oh just out of interest what kind of "things" are you collecting for your Jag? Are you talking about detail up sets and the like?.just asking because I tried to see if there was anything but could find a thing! 

Nick

Hi Nick 

I normally find a kit buy it, put it into my stash and start looking around what to do with it... in case  of the Jag I already bought the fantastic looking  wirewheels and Dunlopracingwheels and the MotoLita steering wheel from motobitz.uk.  and I found a PE set for it, I didn't ordered yet but I think I'll will have another look at it.

https://mbm-munich.com/produkte.html

May be you would like it...

Marco F 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Fnick said:

I'd say yes please :) :thumbsup: You'll be far better off learning airbrushing then! :nodding:

46 minutes ago, Fnick said:

Molotow chrome. Should be able to shoot it straight out of the bottle. Tom from the scale modelling channel did his Jag wheels that way.

Did he use a gloss black base first Nick? I find you need it to get the best chrome look. I've just bought a bottle of this ;

https://elementgames.co.uk/paints-hobby-and-scenery/paints-hobby-and-scenery-by-manufacturer/green-stuff-world/chrome-metal-paint-17ml

Not tried it yet but a guy who's got a channel on youtube where he basically just tests paints rates it higher than molotow for spraying. Green stuff world also do a brush version of the chrome paint that I've tried and it works quite well.

2 hours ago, Andy J said:

may I suggest a bag of desert spoons...ideal for test spraying

I thought you were going to say a bag of chocolate mini eggs....!! 🤣

Keith

• Haha 3

49 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

I'd say yes please :) :thumbsup: You'll be far better off learning airbrushing then! :nodding:

Did he use a gloss black base first Nick? I find you need it to get the best chrome look. I've just bought a bottle of this ;

https://elementgames.co.uk/paints-hobby-and-scenery/paints-hobby-and-scenery-by-manufacturer/green-stuff-world/chrome-metal-paint-17ml

Not tried it yet but a guy who's got a channel on youtube where he basically just tests paints rates it higher than molotow for spraying. Green stuff world also do a brush version of the chrome paint that I've tried and it works quite well.

I thought you were going to say a bag of chocolate mini eggs....!! 🤣

Keith

Alas no Keith....nobody gets the hands on my chocolate mini eggs or my jammy dodgers 🙂👍

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Fnick said:

Think the wife might be upset if I start using our nice cutlery! 🤪

Nick

Hiya Nick so having checked through my spares stash I've come up with the items shown below 

spacer.png

This compressor and airbrush will set you on your merry way mate though you will need to purchase the correct air hose to join from the compressor to the airbrush as I can't find the one that came with the compressor originally. I'm not sure which hose you require but I'm sure someone on here or a quick Google will provide you with the information required. This bundle is yours free of charge mate just PM me your address details and I'll get them posted out to you next week 😉 👍

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Fantastic stuff Andy! The Ultra is one of my favourite airbrushes.

I think this is the hose you'll need Nick;

https://www.air-craft.net/acatalog/Braided-Airbrush-Hose-2.0M.html#SID=225

I've used air-craft.net many times and they've always been great. Would be worth contacting them first just to check that is the right hose.

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Toftdale said:

Some good advice there,

BUT,

Gents, Please wear a face mask for ALL types of paint spraying, you only get one set of breathing equipment.

• Like 7

I'm looking forward to watching this build as I have this kit in my stash.  

My experience with airbrushes is limited but I treated myself to an Easy Clean airbrush from the Expo catalogue just before last Christmas and I've found it an absolute asset.  For what I need, it sprays well and is as easy to clean as the name suggests.  I also invested in a compressor because I calculated that it would soon pay for itself at the rate you can use up cans of compressed air.

I tend to use Valejo Metal Colour acrylic paint for metallic parts, the dull aluminium is a personal favourite.  I've never found it necessary to apply it over gloss black although it does need a clear coat afterwards if you don't want it to rub off and get silver fingers.  They also spray straight from the bottle and the bottles themselves have screw caps that allow unused paint to be returned for future use.  I would go for the dull aluminium for the E-type's wire wheels rather than a high gloss chrome.  As far as I'm aware Jaguar never sold the E-type with chrome wire wheels.

For information, your paint looks like a reasonable match for Jaguar's Opalescent Silver Grey.  As far as I can tell the catalogued options for interior colours were red, light blue, dark blue and grey.  However, I think Jaguar would mix and match interior and body colours if a customer requested, plus enough E-types have been painted and re-trimmed in non-standard colours; I'm sure your tan interior will look lovely with the Tamiya gunmetal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the comments and info John. Have to admit I haven't looked too much into the wheels colours so what you said is useful to know. I thought I had looked at the interior colours and seen tan but maybe I'm mistaken. Oh well a reconditioned E type it is! 😄

Nick

• Thanks 1

Cheers John. So tan is available as an interior colour (yeah!)  but not for silver grey.... (Boo).

Think I'll stick with my choice anyway as I think it will look quite nice.

• Like 3

And a lot better than how we call a shade of green in French: "vert caca d'oie" which means goose poo green! 😁

Nick

Edited by Fnick
  • Haha 7