Norwich and area South of town.

Markh-75

Heading to Norwich in June this year, I plan on seeing Seething airfield and Tyndalls brewery which is also on the airfield; I want to sample their 'Liberator Ale'! Bressingham steam museum is in my plans, been before but I'm happy to hear its still there. 

Also heading to Old Buckenham, home of the 453rd Bg and one of James Maitland Stewarts operational fields, if I have time I'll also see if I can get to Tibenham, home of the 455th and where Jimmy Stewart was before he went to Old Buckenham. I'm def' going to Thorpe Abbotts and the 100th Bg museum! Hardwick is of special interest too as I have online friends there, it was home to the 93rd Bg, and if there is time I will pop into Bungay (Flixton) museum.

Among all these visits there is a trip to Hannants in Lowestoft, and most definitely Duxford! I'm planning on a trip to the viewing area at Lakenheath too on the way home to Norwich after Duxford! See what's flying! I would also like to have a visit into the 2nd Air Division American Museum in Norwich! But not all in one day!😂

It'll be my first trip 'Sarf' in a while, and I'm going while I still can. Its a good 300mile trip from Bonnie Scotland. I'm trying to keep myself active and healthy, and relaxed before then. I'm not sure if I'll manage to get into Norwich as my itinerary for places to visit has been 'thinned' to a more possible amount of visits. Originally I had 3 or 4 visits per day but there was just no way I'd have achieved that, I wouldn't have been able to take it all in and enjoy it. Really looking forward to this now!

• Like 1

...And the Norwich Air Mueum the  North side of the airport which used to be Horsham St. Faith also a former USAAF/ RAF base

• Thanks 1

On 27/05/2022 at 17:05, Paul J said:

...And the Norwich Air Mueum the  North side of the airport which used to be Horsham St. Faith also a former USAAF/ RAF base

I've been there, got a look inside the Vulcan there! I see its all been pushed further into the corner now too, making way for a dual carriageway!

Love Norwich and its environs. If you are staying in the city there are plenty of good places to eat and more than enough good pubs to relax from your days out. (Watch out for the Belgian Monk pub. Gorgeous beer selection but you could get well on the way on two halves😉)

You look like you have more than enough to keep you busy, and this is north of the city, but I will also add a museum on the beautiful coast just in case.

https://www.muckleburgh.co.uk/

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

We went to see Seething airfield museum, home to the 448th BG from 1943 to 19.45. Fascinating place, great museum, very nice people, we were there before 10.00 and the staff for maintenance started arriving and opened it up, they let me just look around at my own speed, after making me a cuppa!

I also wanted to see Tyndall Brewery and as it happens it was about 20yds along the road! I bought some bottles of Liberator Ale there, it was closed but there’s a stall outside the gate with an honesty box.

Thats two venues I’ve seen in one go!

I then headed to Lowestoft and found Hannants warehouse and was awestruck by the place, models, materials, parts, decals and everything ‘modelling’ on long bays of racking full of stock. I bought a couple of decal sets for future builds. 

The weather is scorching here, great for breezing along in the car with all the windows open 👍

Tomorrow I’m going to Old Buckenham, home to the 453rd BG and the second group that James Stewart was with, I also hope to see Tibenham airfield, only 5 or so miles away and home to the 455th BG, where James Stewart also served.

My trusty old sat nav is finding the places with no great effort. I used it back in 2014 when I drove lorries and it’s still going strong!

• Like 2

Was at Old Buckenham today, small museum but the owner of it is a nice person, never too busy to talk and answer questions, he runs the museum and his wife runs and owns Jimmy’s cafe! All of the exhibits are his and he circulates the displays every 3 months or so, very knowledgeable, we had a great chat today and a few laughs after giving me a private tour of the museum. Lovely day, and windy so even more important to use sunscreen! I then went to see Tibenham airfield. Not a lot to see, just runways (shortened) and taxiways, the hangars and all other buildings are gone. They are replaced by newer Hangarage for single engines and gliders for Norfolk Gliding Club, but I am pleased that I got to see it. A young chap gave me a private tour of the sheds etc and I was quite impressed by it all.

Tomorrow I’m going to see Thorpe Abbotts, the 100th Bomb Group museum, I’m looking forward to that and later I’m going to Bungay (Flixton) home to the Bungay Buckaroo’s!

• Like 1

I was finally able to see the 100th Bomb Group Museum, Thorpe Abbott’s, I came here about 25 years ago but it was closed, but I promised myself that I would be able to come again and now I have, I bought three books and a hat with D in a square to mark the occasion! I spent quite a while there soaking up the atmos’ and having a good look around. We had 32 degrees temperatures yesterday and last night; but although it was a bit damp from about lunchtime today it was still quite warm. We then had some showers which freshened things up a bit. 

After lunch I went to Bungay (Flixton) The home of the Norfolk Heritage Air Museum, this museum commemorates the 446th Bomb Group, ‘The Bungay Buckaroos’, a B-24 group in WW2. The museum is not on the former airfield at all but just a bit further to the east of it. It has many excellent exhibits on it in the form of rare aircraft, nose sections, uniforms and millions of other artefacts besides a static display of aircraft outside. A good afternoon spent there!

A very good day all in.😎👍

• Like 2

Today went to the open day at the 93rd bomb group museum, at Hardwick airfield, it was a part of the outlying area of the airfield as billets for the airfield and part of the Topcroft area. It was great to meet the people of the museum and finally put names to faces!

• Like 1

I visited Duxford on Monday and we came home on Tuesday; my holiday is beginning to catch up on me now, it was quite an active break after all, I'm tired. I spent the day cleaning and checking the car yesterday and was pretty tired after it.

I'll be back at the table in a few days as I have the B-25 to complete and others to start!

I was going to Lakenheath after Duxford but I have a friend who knows someone who is based there; Monday was a US national holiday, so, no flying.😕

• Like 1