Misubishi G3M3 Nell - Genzan Air Group

So far as I am aware, this is the only Arii kit I have ever built.  

wpd45ed51b_05_06.jpg

Scalemates tells me that it was first issued in 1966 by LS, but despite this antiquity it remains a very high quality moulding, albeit with very limited detail. Parts fit is superb and the interestingly recessed surface rivet detail works well, being reminiscent of modern Trumpeter kits. Detail on specific items such as the torpedo and bombs is good. I have no way of knowing if the surface detail and lines are in the correct places, but nevertheless, it leaves a good looking effect.  

wp9fcb7c10_05_06.jpg

Given the basic cockpit, I added a little sidewall and floor detail, a bulkhead, several pressure cylinders, a radio and a chart table.  Three rather malnourished looking crew members are provided, with good representation of the signature Imperial Japanese Navy Kapok life vests. The instructions suggest they all fit in the cockpit (where there are 3 seats), but one of the figures is actually too tall for this (he is perhaps intended for the gun turret). I cropped his legs so he could sit at my added chart table !  

wp8367ba6f_05_06.jpg

The distinctive outward splayed engines look slightly overdone to me; the plan drawing in my copy of Francillon's "Japanese Aircraft of the Pacific War" has a noticeable splay, but not as much as the kit. There are also a few spare solid and clear parts in the box, probably for the early G3M1 and L3M1 transport variants.

wp8ac445cb_05_06.jpg

The kit is advertised as a G3M3 Model 23, which would make it a later Nakajima-built upgraded aircraft. There are no dates on the instructions although the 3 options provided, Genzan, Kanoya and Mihoro air groups, the last two of which are in brown-green camouflage, include units that took part in the sinking of HM Ships PRINCE OF WALES and REPULSE (Force Z) in 1941. Although I suspect that it represents the aircraft later in the war, I chose the dark green Genzan option, hand brushed, as always, using Humbrol 75 and an acrylic Windsor & Newton matt topcoat.

wp9e9b0008_05_06.jpg

This is a vintage kit and clearly so, but its original high quality is obvious and it is pleasant and straightforward to build, with plenty of opportunity for the modeller to add their own detail.

FredT :)

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations! I love Arii (Otaki) kits, and fully agree about the quality of the recessed rivet detail. The kits can't compete with modern Hasegawa and Tamiya products (if at all available), but they can be turned into nice models if you don't shy away from the extra work. You did a great job on the Nell.