Czechoslovakian Airlines CSA Tupolev Tu-104A in 1/144 scale

The Tupolev Tu-104 (NATO code Camel) was an airliner developed on the basis of the Tu-16 bomber. The Tu-104 was also the second commercial jet airliner after de Havilland Comet. In the Soviet Union the plane type was widely used until the late1970’s. The Tu-104 A version was an improvement of the original prototype. The capacity of the plane grew to 70 seats, and a total of 80 of that particular model were built. The Czechoslovakian state airline, ČSA, acquired six aircraft in its fleet in 1957, and ČSA was also the only foreign airline to operate the Tu-104 in addition to Aeroflot.

I built my model from an Amodel 1/144 scale, limited-run kit. Despite my doubts, it was surprisingly good in quality and detail, although I had to do quite a bit of puttying and sanding. The smallest parts, such as the antennas and pitot tubes were quite thick and ill molded and that’s why I ordered an NH Details photoetch set to replace them.

I decided to build the CSA Tu-104A with the registration number OK-LDA (Praha). Since I had chosen to fill the cockpit and cabin windows, I had to get new decals and windows from the aftermarket. The BOA Decals sheet was very nice and detailed and they also had a very stylish livery to choose from. That was the scheme to commemorate the airline's 40th anniversary with the coat of arms of the city of Prague and the 40 years of the airlines' operation.

There were also antenna wires that ran from the tail of the plane to the front of the fuselage. I modelled them from a 0.08 millimeter fishing line. I painted the white areas of the model with Tamiya's Fine Surface primer, which I then coated with Tamiya’s gloss varnish rattle can spray TS-13. The metal coloured areas I painted with Alclad Aluminum and I also used several Vallejo and Humbrol shades for the smaller details.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

This an interesting photo I took with my crappy camera from the observation deck of the Stockholm Arlanda airport in the summer of 1969. I was at that time an active 14 years old plane spotter. After a close scrutiny of the picture (where the register code is not visible) I found out that the plane, despite its similar livery to my model is not a Tu-104 but a shortened version i.e. Tu-124

Edited by Einar
  • Like 42

17 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Superb finish on this!  I'm so glad you got such great results from an A-Model product.  

Thank you very much!

Einar 

35 minutes ago, Skodadriver said:

Wonderful result Einar - beautiful build and finish. A real aviation classic. :goodjob:

Dave G 🇺🇦

Thank you very much Dave!

Einari 

5 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Love the old 104. I built the VEB offering last year. That's a very smart job you have done.

Thanks a lot!

Einar 

17 minutes ago, BerndM said:

Perfect result on this not often seen kit. :clap2:

Guess this aircraft was very much based on the Tu-16 jet bomber.

Thanks Berndt  

You're right.  The Tu-104 is based on the Tu-16 bomber👍

Cheers 

Einar 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Einar said:

an interesting photo I took with my crappy camera from the observation deck of the Stockholm Arlanda airport in the summer of 1969

Brilliant! I bet it was it loud?

That’s a really lovely build of a fascinating aeroplane. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Wings unlevel said:

Thank you! Yes, it must have been very loud😄

Cheers,

Einari 

23 minutes ago, GiampieroSilvestri said:

Beautiful Tupolev Tu-104A!

Saluti

Giampiero

Grazie mille Giampiero!

Einar 

• Like 1

Superb as always ,Einar.

Very nice choice of livery and subject 👍.

I have a soft spot for soviet airliners,so this is a winner for me all around.

Thanks for sharing

Alex

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Alex1978 said:

Superb as always ,Einar.

Very nice choice of livery and subject 👍.

I have a soft spot for soviet airliners,so this is a winner for me all around.

Thanks for sharing

Alex

Thank you very much Alex!

Einar

2 hours ago, Wings unlevel said:

The Aeroflot 104’s operated Heathrow to Leningrad on a Friday back in the early 70’s, and were low enough over our school to read them off with Mk 1 eyeball, making the most fabulous noise (most aircraft did back then!)

SD

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Vesa Jussila said:

Really nice work again. Maybe I need to look this kit when I stop next time in Jadar hobby.

Thank you/kiitos Vesa

Einar

Just now, cifenet said:

Interesting subject, this one looks clean and sharp.  Nice photography presentation too.  Great job!

Thank you 

Einar 

1 minute ago, tMikha said:

That old jet liners from "golden era" are handsome! Congratulations, very neat and pretty model. Thank's for sharing! 

Thank you  tMikha

Einar