anyone know what a good rlm 76 paint is?

airfix2

i´ve got a 1/72 do335 from dragon models that needs rlm 76, don´t want to mix my own paint, any suggestions here on an accurate rlm 76?

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/dragon-5010-do-335b-6-arrow--108406

here is the link for the kit i have that i am planning to build after finishing a 1/72 corsair. also, how should do mottling without an airbrush when building the kit?

A good RLM76 is one that you're personally happy with.  Although ideally, people would need to know whether you preference is for enamel or acrylic before recommending...

There are a few 'mottling with a brush' tutorials around on here, worth a look or doing a search in the 'tools & tips' section on here - there may also be a few on YT most likely..

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, airfix2 said:

i´ve got a 1/72 do335 from dragon models that needs rlm 76, don´t want to mix my own paint, any suggestions here on an accurate rlm 76?

here is the link for the kit i have that i am planning to build after finishing a 1/72 corsair. also, how should do mottling without an airbrush when building the kit?

For brushpainting, you may have good luck with Lifecolor's RLM76, which is pretty easy to find here in the USAl I haven't brushpainted that colour specifically, but I've had decent luck with their others. 

I personally never had great success trying to mottle without an airbrush, but I was the closest to being happy when I used small sponges to dab the model. 

My favourite RLM76s are Colourcoats enamel RLM76 (H&B Hobbies in the USA carries it) and AK's Real RLM76 series (they have a few, for different formulations observed in nature, as it were). Both of these lines are easier to airbrush with than to paint by hand, however. I have complete faith in Colourcoats' scrupulous colour accuracy, and have met the owner, who was very handsome, which is neither here nor there but surely counts for something.  

Are you limited by where you are or finances when it comes to an airbrush? There are some cheap ones that can be perfectly cromulent for a little light mottling.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, nicholas mayhew said:

Use MRP for this

in fact, use MRP for *all* your paints!

For brushpainting? MRP is a lacquer pre-thinned for airbrushing, as far as I know.

• Like 2

Another vote for Colourcoats, excellent with both brush and air brush.

The minimum postage cost is quite high so best to order a few colours to make the order up to 6 tins but otherwise they are great value given their quality, although best to use the Colourcoats thinner as well.

Regards

Colin.

• Like 2

On 26/05/2022 at 15:38, Werdna said:

A good RLM76 is one that you're personally happy with

Preach! I used to not like late WW2 Luftwaffe planes because I didn't know if I should use light grey or light blue for RLM 76.

On 26/05/2022 at 15:30, airfix2 said:

any suggestions here on an accurate rlm 76?

I use Revell Aqua 49 Light Blue for both my RLM 65 and 76 needs. Aqua is for brushing, and enamel is for airbrush.

On 5/26/2022 at 7:52 PM, nicholas mayhew said:

Use MRP for this

in fact, use MRP for *all* your paints!

MRP are great paints and I use them a lot but their range of RLM colours has some very dubious colour matches unfortunately. For RLM76 you can't beat Mr Color's edition in my opinion.

Duncan B

6 hours ago, Duncan B said:

For RLM76 you can't beat Mr Color's edition in my opinion.

I was about to suggest that one, which I'm using right now(ish).  Not sure how you brush-paint it though, as as I've not tried it yet and probably never will :shrug:

spacer.png

• Like 1

Just to add, I struggle to see any difference when spraying RLM76 mixes onto mr surfacer grey. Says the colourblind person using a dodgy tamiya called out mix. I don't think it's awful for someone who wants to save a step though.

6 minutes ago, Ngantek said:

Just to add, I struggle to see any difference when spraying RLM76 mixes onto mr surfacer grey. Says the colourblind person using a dodgy tamiya called out mix. I don't think it's awful for someone who wants to save a step though.

You and me both. That's what makes the late-war Sky-ish RLM76 so great.

On 26/05/2022 at 20:30, airfix2 said:

"Location:somewhere in the west coast of the USA." is there anything you can purchase locally or is it going to be mail order anyway?

Mottling? Try to get an airbrush (it was done with an airbrush on the real thing) and practice on used packaging or other really cheap material.

Really depends on just how accurate you want to be in terms of then running a spectrometer over the colours and then adjusting to get a perfect match, but matching with what?

I accept I'm perhaps in a minority but personally I've never get that hung up with any colours that I use in terms of getting such a perfect match, even if such a thing exists given the effects of weathering and all the issue of interpreting both b/w and colour period photos. As such I just go with a colour/colours that give the right effect and for me Colourcoats always seem to deliver every time. I'm sure other brands are also worthy but for me as an enamel user I always go this route and have been extremely pleased with the end results.

Entirely up to you of course but as with all other historic posts (of which there are many) about best colour matches there is no panacea or absolute truth so sadly there is not a definitive answer to your question.

I know I will get contrary feedback about my approach but for me my priority is getting the paint applied in the correct way using my airbrush, as in not too much or too little, and getting my masking to work correctly to give me the desired end result.

Just my thoughts as a keen but distinctly novice modeller.

Regards

Colin.

25 minutes ago, fishplanebeer said:

I know I will get contrary feedback about my approach but for me my priority is getting the paint applied in the correct way using my airbrush, as in not too much or too little, and getting my masking to work correctly to give me the desired end result.

The beauty of it is that the Colourcoats guy is one of those people who cares a lot about getting the paint accurate, so the can was just successfully kicked down the road to the perfect man for the job, to hopelessly mix metaphors.

• Like 2

Of course I forgot to mention that Colourcoats put an awful lot of research into their paints to make them as close as possible which then saves me the time and worry about getting a paint that is correct. So no messing around debating multiple brands against multiple chips and other sources.

Some may see this as a short cut or cop out which I accept is fair but if someone far more knowledgeable than me has gone to an awful lot of trouble to get their colours correct then I am ready to bow to their superior knowledge and then spray and brush to my hearts content.

Regards

Colin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fishplanebeer said:

running a spectrometer over the colours and then adjusting to get a perfect match

Been there. Done that. It is a hobby :D

But seriously, this is the RLM76 I am matching for:

p?i=0c6e517fd7621729e8afc3bd99786da3

This is the RLM76 from Merrick and Hitchcock reference source and it's spectra. Yes it is kind of blue greyish, very close to N7 neutral grey.

This is N7 and RLM76 next to each other (in this order)

100x100

100x100

Fair enough as I'm not in this camp and I am just happy that my spraying and masking works out OK so that the finished article looks half decent.

I know that more gifted and expert modellers have mastered these skills long ago so can concentrate on such finer details but for me if Colourcoats say it's RLMXX (or any other colour) then I'm happy to go with it and just hope that my spraying, masking and varnishing end up looking reasonable.

Very much horses for courses I suppose.

Regards

Colin.