S2B Buccaneer help!!!

Lee121

Hi all,

Currently building 1/48 Airfix S2B Buccaneer for a friend of mine who worked on them in the late 70's and was stationed at RAF Lossiemouth with 12 Sqdn.

I'm in the process of fitting the Electronic Jammer pod and the Pave Spike designator.

What colour should they be??

I've used Tamiya paints so far

Thanks in advance

Hi Lee121 - Just a couple of thoughts from the top of my head for your project.  I think 12 Sqn moved to Lossie in 83/84 or so.  That means your jet would be in wrap around camo if your friend was at Lossie when RAF Buccs ruled the roost.  The ALQ-101 would have been dark green per the kit call outs for this part.  Laser designation was the war role for the OCU.  I don't think 12 Sqn was using Pave Spike until later on in the 80s.  They were generally green like the ECM pod but both were painted desert pink for Granby and examples in that color can be seen in photos up until retirement a few years later albeit with lots of scuff and chip in the desert pink.  Depending on exactly what time period you are after, you might be safer with two slipper tanks and a CBLS or an empty pylon.  12 Sqn was primarily maritime strike so a green Martel would not be out of place.  Airfix's new kit due out later this year will have Martels in it if you are still working on this project that long.  Feel free to PM me with any questions specific to your project. - Jack  

Hi

12Sqn moved to Lossie in late 1980.

I was posted to Lossie in 1982 and 12sqn was there, i was 12 sqn Flying Clothing from Late 1983 to Jan 1985 when i started my de-mob leave the to civie street.

I had some photos off 12sqn a/c on this site from the time cant find them now ?.

Paul

8 hours ago, PaulT 876 said:

12Sqn moved to Lossie in late 1980.

Thanks for the certainty you can offer on this.  Was 12 the first to move north?  Did 208 and the OCU follow later or did everyone move in 1980?

8 hours ago, PaulT 876 said:

I had some photos off 12sqn a/c on this site from the time cant find them now ?.

Would really love to see these.  Any chance you can post them again? 

8 hours ago, wadeocu said:

Was 12 the first to move north?  Did 208 and the OCU follow later or did everyone move in 1980?

12 Sqn held the northern fort until June 83, when 208 moved up there. The OCU were the last to move in October 84.

That was when I was posted from Honington Arm Eng Flt on to the OCU. Oh joy!

10 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

12 Sqn held the northern fort until June 83, when 208 moved up there. The OCU were the last to move in October 84.

That was when I was posted from Honington Arm Eng Flt on to the OCU. Oh joy!

Ok that's why I was thinking 83/84 then; that's when the rest of the gang cleared out of Honington.  Thanks for that.

Now that I have you cornered (😉), do you know when 12 Sqn started operating with Pave Spike?

10 hours ago, wadeocu said:

do you know when 12 Sqn started operating with Pave Spike?

Sorry, can't help with that one. I was posted from the OCU to 19(F) sqn in September 86, never saw 12 Sqn using pavespike at that time.