holes and painting

masterKamera

what is the proper, and easiest way to block off holes before primer and paint is applied?

IVe already deduced 1mm or 2mm wide tamiya tape is for wrapping the tabs that go into holes and slots, but not sure on the method for holes and slots

It varies.  If there's a backing, such as in a gearbay, I tend to use Blutak, adding a sausage around the edge, poking it into place with a modelling tool, then either adding a flat piece of Blutak in the centre or filling it with tape.  If there's no backing to the hole, try putting tape behind it before you close up your model, and add a little tab to allow you to pull it through when you're done.  You could also put Blutak in the hole from behind and drag it out with tweezers.  Some people use foam, some use wet tissue, and they all have their pros & cons.  Experiment and see what suits you :)

Proper? No clue if such one exist but here are ones I use. Not in any order of preferences

• Blutak. Easy. Works great. Remember to remove it using more Blutak especially if you let it be for a while. Minus: can get heavy if you do large model. Relatively easy to use
  • Model pieces itself. If a model has a wheel-closed setup, why not to use it? I use tiniest bit of a blutak to keep it in place if needed. Also applicable to canopies!
  • Sponge. Ripped sponge pieces work well as a filler material. Very easy to use but can get messy if you try to go too wild - dry sponge pieces tend to sticks to everything like those tiny styrofoam bubbles...
  • Sticks. For small holes just stick a cotton bud or a more-or-less cut-to-size match. Or a toothpick.
  • Parafilm, if you have access to it, it is used in the labs to cover test tubes, petri dishes and so on. It takes bit time to learn how to use - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parafilm
  • Aluminum foil. May sound silly but it does work on canopies. And you have an excuse to buy some chocolate! - https://robdebie.home.xs4all.nl/models/ccf.htm
  • Shapes and your fingers, especially in airbrushing - all you need to do is to make sure paint does not have a straight line from airbrush tip to the surface, right? Fingers (in gloves if needed), old drawing equipment (ruler with cut out holes works great for airbrushing those pesky small wheels).
  • Ignore the problem. If it is small hole and can be easily reached inside with brush, does not have details hard to reach, just let some paints slip through edges and fix it later.

1 hour ago, masterKamera said:

well i was thinking more on the lines of 

"i have to paint paint the wing or fueselage, so whats best way to cover up the holes where i have to put the wing tab in, or the wing struts on my juicy nieuport?

In such cases, I personally just don't bother: I paint the whole and then scrape the paint from those small areas that have to accept struts or similar parts. It's just quicker and easier

• Like 1