Blue Max movie Fokker.......

Allan31

This post may have a better place but my thinking is you guys would know. I did a search here but found nothing.

This mornings rabbit hole brought me to pics of the Triplane built and used in the movie.

500px-AVION_HC_LCDA.jpg?width=1920&heigh

bitztri3.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

It has had a long a storied existence and last I knew, was found and going to be restored.

And now the www yields nothing I can find.

Does anyone know anything about this classic today?

Curious minds want to know......

There's this:  

But that's 2010. I did read something more recently, probably on The Aerodrome, but have forgetten all pertinent data (I only have so much RAM available).

Paul.

PS, found a thread on The Aerodrome from last year. Now closed, but has more up to date info. Thread name is The Blue Max Richthofen Triplane.

Edited by Paul Thompson
Additional info.
  • Like 2

the post i alluded to eists in the current section.. anyhoo here is some information..

Making "The Blue Max" by Don Hollway

www.donhollway.com/bluemax/

the plane your questing for is in the hands of the builders family.  website is unfindable.  various posts in google search show it was restored and being seen at random airshows,  most notable the 2010 chino airshow. and might have been at the aerodrome for a while in 2014

4 hours ago, k5054nz said:

No Albis made for that movie...?

That's what I thought, certainly not in starring roles, only the two Pfalzes, but I think I once read there was the odd set dressing Tiggy meant to be an Albatros in the background. Never noticed, TBH.

Paul.

So...this mornings rabbit hole......

This list I've compiled seems to agree with most of the "average truth" I found around out there about the aircraft that flew in the "Blue Max" movie.

2 -SE.5 replicas. 

-Both built by Miles Marine and Structural Plastics Ltd, G-ATGV and G-ATGW. Aircraft seem to be built as full scale.

- Both aircraft destroyed in crashes in 1970. However, both the Miles Marine and Slingsby T56's can be seen used together in the movie "Zepplin".

-Subsequent SE.5's seen in other movies are technically Slingsby T56s, 7/8-scale replicas built on converted Currie Wot biplane kits and not the same aircraft.

2-Pfalz DIII replicas.

-Pfalz D.III G-ATIJ, built by Hampshire Aeroplane Club, Ltd., serial number PT16, N905AC. Built from scratch to match a DIII.

-Pfalz D.III N906AC, built by Personal Plane Services Ltd., serial number PPS/PFLZ/1, former EI-ARC. Built using converted Tiger Moth airframe parts.

3-Fokker DVII replicas.

- All three Fokker D.VII-65 replicas built by Rousseau Aviation of Dinard, France.

-Full scale, accurate replicas except for the engines.

2-Fokker Dr.1 triplanes.

-Both Fokker DR.1 triplanes built by Bitz Flugzeugbau GmbH of Augsburg, West Germany.

-Full scale, accurate replicas except for the engines.

IIRC, all aircraft were painted with the german camouflage and used as background filler then British planes were repainted in washable green for those flying seances.

More good stuff here:   http://donhollway.com/bluemax/

HTH....

Edited by Allan31
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Allan31 said:

2-Pfalz DIII replicas.

-Pfalz D.III G-ATIJ, built by Hampshire Aeroplane Club, Ltd., serial number PT16, N905AC. Built from scratch to match a DIII. [airworthy but on museum display at Omaka, NZ]

-Pfalz D.III N906AC, built by Personal Plane Services Ltd., serial number PPS/PFLZ/1, former EI-ARC. Built using converted Tiger Moth airframe parts. [airworthy and active with The Vintage Aviator Ltd, Masterton, NZ]

3-Fokker DVII replicas.

- All three Fokker D.VII-65 replicas built by Rousseau Aviation of Dinard, France.

-Full scale, accurate replicas except for the engines. [one example airworthy and active with The Vintage Aviator Ltd, Masterton, NZ]

My additions in bold, I don't know if any others besides the originally-mentioned Dr.I still exist?

Several Tigers and Stampes were painted as German aircraft, front cockpits faired over and fitted with guns (a couple of Stampes stood in with the SE.5s too), and the two-seater Stachel downs over the home field was a Caudron Luciole. In addition, the New Monoplane in the finale was a Morane-Saulnier MS.230 that is now with Kermit Weeks.

Edited by k5054nz

Thanks Zac, 

I was only interested in bringing to light the specially built aircraft. 

I have several "Holly Wood Aircraft" models to do from this Movie. I also just discovered the Tiggys in "Lawrence of Arabia" as Rumplers I want to do.

Screen_Shot_2021-05-28_at_5.08.25_PM(1).

Thanks for contributing !

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, k5054nz said:

My additions in bold, I don't know if any others besides the originally-mentioned Dr.I still exist?

Several Tigers and Stampes were painted as German aircraft, front cockpits faired over and fitted with guns (a couple of Stampes stood in with the SE.5s too), and the two-seater Stachel downs over the home field was a Caudron Luciole. In addition, the New Monoplane in the finale was a Morane-Saulnier MS.230 that is now with Kermit Weeks.

kermit weeks is the one that i read supposedly has an alby from the movie  

or would it be the D.III flown by peppard in the film..

1 hour ago, masterKamera said:

Pfalz D.III, and I'd think so. Certainly no Albatos flown as part of the story, or referred to by name.

Paul.

Weeks does have an Abatros but not from any movie. His is from the Jackson guys in NZ.

Sucks to be him....

The Pfalz's I think are both in NZ, at least they were a few years ago.

Aircraft above was there 2015

"One of the original replicas used in the movie Blue Max restored and taxing in after display at Classic Fighters Marlborough 2007. The other replica is on static display at the Aviation Heritage Centre at this airport."

"Above is the Hampshire Aeroplane (now PPS) Pfalz DIII Replica ZK-FLZ2 (c/n PPS/Pfalz-1) It was built in the UK back in the mid 1960's for the movie "Blue Max".

It went to the USA in the 1980's and came to NZ to become ZK-FLZ with the Omaka Collection Ltd on 05-01-2007 and transferred to The Vintage Aviator on 01-07-2007."

HTH....

Edited by Julien
no copy righted photos
  • Like 3

On 6/2/2022 at 4:23 PM, masterKamera said:

As both @Allan31 and I pointed out, both D.IIIs are in New Zealand.

On 6/7/2022 at 4:40 PM, masterKamera said:

that boy kermit claims to have something from the movie... still in the original movie colors.. something peppard flew

That's the Morane-Saulnier MS.230, although I've never seen it in movie colours after the 1960s. I'd love to see that!

Edited by k5054nz