Well now - this will take a bit of explanation.:hmmm:

When I was little (that's a lie - I was never 'little'! :winkgrin:) there was a danish comic strip 'Willy på eventyr' (Willy on adventure). It was a scifi inspired comic strip centered around the hero ' Willy, a professor - Onkel Hans (Uncle Hans) and a love interest - Jonna. They took on adventures in a flying vehichle, which looked a lot like a flying saucer.

As I found out, this comic strip was a sort of continuation of a british comic strip- Rob The Rover.

Links: https://comiccreatorsuk.wordpress.com/2017/07/04/rob-the-rover/

Link to picture of Willy's ship:

WillyPaaEventyr_2016_2.jpg

Now my UFO is inspired by Willy's ship, but I'm making it as if the danish goverment of the time, was indeed inspired by it to make a real version (does that make sense?:hmmm:).

So they formed 'Dansk Rumfarts Agentur' (Danish Space Agency) or DRA and the ship was called: DRA-G1 (Generation 1)

I used the radome of an old Fujimi E-2B, a christmas dekoration and a lot of plasticcard! :lol:

OK let's start this:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Now let's see how this works out - I have no masterplan, just a slight overview of where I hope to end up! This may change i as I go along! :winkgrin:

Cheers for now :bye:

Hans J

• Like 16

Just as the designer of the B-24, I felt that something was wrong with the look of my DRA-G1 :hmmm:, so I enlarged the circumference with plasticcard. :D

It looks much better now. :winkgrin:

spacer.png

spacer.png

What's up next? Perhaps a basic interior and a landinggear? :hmmm:

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

• Like 8

Nice scratchbuilding, Hans. The British comic strip is well before my time, I'd never heard of it, but it looks good too.

The Danish artwork looks well done. I'll be back to see more soon.

• Thanks 1

I wasn't quite satisfied with how the undercarriage turned out, but it was a simple solution - just move the legs further out/up! :D

This is better (I think! :hmmm:)

spacer.png

I'm still pondering wether or not to add an interior - I could just take the easy way!..:hmmm:

While I ponder on that subject, I may just subject 'My little UFO' to some more detailing - just found a heap of plastic-thingies I forgot I had! :D

Hans J

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Uncle Monty said:

It reminds me a little bit of the saucer from the classic Forbidden Planet movie

One of my all-time favourite Science Fiction Movies. Leslie Nielsen in a serious role as well...

Cheers,

Alan.

Edited by Alan R
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Uncle Monty said:

It reminds me a little bit of the saucer from the classic Forbidden Planet movie

Yes - that one, but also The Day the Earth stood Still (the original), Spaceman Spiff's ship, the mars ships from 'Mars Attacks', Plan B from Outer Space and many more.:D

Seems that Hollywood took the Flying Saucer idea very literally! :winkgrin:

It's the idea behind my model - the good old movies from the 50'es and 60'es - I watched a lot of them when I was a child! :heart:

Thank you for the memories! :D

Hans J

• Like 2

While I think about the interior (and the undercarriage once again :hmmm:), I decided to add some detaling:

spacer.png

As you cab see from the photos, it really wasn't necessary to cut out the middle of the E-2 radome! Now I have to clue it back in! :doh:

I'm still not overly happy with the undercarriage! Too simple, perhaps? :hmmm:

Hans J

• Like 3

The crew consists of 2 Preiser 1/144 figures. I've painted them in flightsuits with leather flightjackets. :D

spacer.png

As usual I have used the internationally recognized measure of scale - a beer capsule! :winkgrin:

And here the crew and cockpit are in place on the DRA-G1: :D

spacer.png

They are taking a tour of what will be their 'office' along with some  scientist on their journey into the unknown, where noone...(I better stop here as not to provoke any copyright infringement! :winkgrin:)

Now the pondering of a paintscheme can commence! :hmmm:(I have some idea of some viking inspired from the year 1219 in Estonia, but let's see shall we? :winkgrin:)

Hans J

• Like 4

On 6/6/2022 at 5:09 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

Nice figures and interior.

The beer bottle cap, Shepherd Neame Spitfire?

Yep - that's the one. :DI'm so glad that it is so wellknown internationally in the modelling circles!:winkgrin: - Tastes good too!:cheers:

Hans J

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HansReggelsen said:

I'm so glad that it is so wellknown internationally in the modelling circles!:winkgrin:

Hans, I deliver it in 50 Litre Kegs! The bottles are widely available in Supermarkets. Cheers!

• Like 2