Airfix 1/48 Battle of Britain Bf 109E

Airfix's 1/48 Bf 109E-4/7. A kit that went together quite nicely but the soft plastic wasn't much fun to work with and the details are a bit ill-defined.  I didn't fancy the North Africa or Russian Front marking options, and I definitely wanted to avoid the usual aces or Hardy Kruger's much reproduced aircraft, so I used some decals from the spares to recreate one from I/JG 27 in August 1940.

Main paints were a bit of a mixture - Sovereign Colourcoats ACLW12 RLM 02, Mr Hobby H67 RLM 65, Tamiya XF-61 for the RLM 71 and XF-3 for the yellow.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

My Airfix Rotte - in formation with the 1/72 version:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers and thanks for looking!

Ian

• Like 44
  • Thanks 1

A very serviceable Emil, well kept but definitely in use. A very convincing build!

A drop of dark grey paint on the open front end of the exhaust sheaths would make it perfect. 😉

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

A very serviceable Emil, well kept but definitely in use. A very convincing build!

A drop of dark grey paint on the open front end of the exhaust sheaths would make it perfect. 😉

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks Joachim. Good point about the exhausts. 👍 I also forgot to drill out the stubs, but that's less noticeable!

Oh yes, very smart indeed.  I've got a soft spot for this kit despite it's foibles and inaccuracies.  In fact, (another example of) the Airfix Club boxing of it has just been delivered and I'm debating how to depict it, assuming I can ever build a kit again!  Yours may have given me the push to actually get myself together and find a work space...

• Thanks 1

Real nice work, the whole paintwork blends beautifully.

I wonder if the canopy is OOB? Asking myself this question because I’ve build some years ago the E-1/3 box and the canopy was a crude caricature of the real thing, but the one you use here is much more credible 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Holzhamer said:

Real nice work, the whole paintwork blends beautifully.

I wonder if the canopy is OOB? Asking myself this question because I’ve build some years ago the E-1/3 box and the canopy was a crude caricature of the real thing, but the one you use here is much more credible 

Thanks! The canopy is indeed the kit supplied one. Everything is OOB with just the aerial added from stretched sprue.

• Thanks 1