Metal paint for 1/10 bust

Muchmirth

Hi,

I just bought this 1/10 bust of a medieval bill man and wondering what people thought best to use for painting the helmet, sword, chain mail and bill? I have citadel leadbelcher which is great but if I paint the whole helmet with this it’ll look like a lighthouse!!! So I’m trying to wear and age the metal down and make more subtle (like a real grubby billman would have been) then maybe add in the nicks and cuts on the armour with smaller amounts of leadbelcher etc? Thanks in advance for any help.

https://www.puttyandpaint.com/projects/19332

ps I’ll be painting flesh with oil paints and acrylic for rest.

Edited by Muchmirth
Added comment

Vallejo Metal Colour range is very good and an acrylic. Or, if you don't mind lacquer based paints, Alclad's range of metallic paints are exceptional, being lacquer based though, an airbrush application is highly recommended. Just my opinion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Crayons said:

Vallejo Metal Colour range is very good and an acrylic.

I agree. 

They are mixable with each other and tintable with acrylic inks and Vallejo washes and paints. Designed for airbrush they can be brushed on small details but you’ll probably find it difficult to do that smoothly on a large surface like a 1/10 helmet. 

In my experience Alclad stinks and is fragile sometimes, and it’s almost impossible to brush on. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I agree. 

They are mixable with each other and tintable with acrylic inks and Vallejo washes and paints. Designed for airbrush they can be brushed on small details but you’ll probably find it difficult to do that smoothly on a large surface like a 1/10 helmet. 

In my experience Alclad stinks and is fragile sometimes, and it’s almost impossible to brush on. 

1 hour ago, Crayons said:

Vallejo Metal Colour range is very good and an acrylic. Or, if you don't mind lacquer based paints, Alclad's range of metallic paints are exceptional, being lacquer based though, an airbrush application is highly recommended. Just my opinion.

Thanks guys for heads up. I’m thinking that the Vallejo might be the way to go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I agree. 

All lacquer based paints stink, it's the wonderful aromatic fragrance of carcinogenic solvents. 🤣

I do agree that some of the range is fragile and has the durability of a cardboard wetsuit, but I just add a drop of automotive hardener to the mix. Sets the paint like stone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stef N. said:

Winsor & Newton, AK and Abteilung 502 make metallic oil paints. I can't say how they perform but may be of interest.

I haven't tried the AK or Abteilung 502 ones, but the W&N ones I have tried are rubbish for figures. Extremely poor covering power (in thin coats) which is only enhanced tenfold if you add Liquin or any of its ilk.

Edited by Crayons
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

I use Vallejo or sometimes Darkstar (both acrylics) for all mine. The vallejo air pigments are very fine and are the best I've used to date.

At the risk of teaching grandma to suck eggs the best way to paint metallics (IMO) is to mix the metallic with a 'normal' colour such as very dark green for bronze, black or dark grey for iron etc rather than use pure colour

Medieval metals were not as refined as the ones typically used today so would be much darker, even when polished up. If you start with black, say and add some silver to it for you base colour and then build up layers adding more silver as you go you will end up with something which looks more realistic. Final scratches can be added with pure silver and you can add a shadow line with black alongside to give a deeper gouge.

Here are a couple of mine to give you the idea (The bust is 1/12 and the figures both 54mm)

Paul

ah__DszfNyIWQ_FDvxNykz96w-xd4NtmUkHekYEzjyHq1ND2eMIpJRQLnlHFP3UsQ1nlRC8zbMBMYPP8CgZgozBKPaUq_l-nfhrkHsosVC0lcn7b56IjF7fC

• Thanks 1

On 05/06/2022 at 10:55, DaddyO said:

I use Vallejo or sometimes Darkstar (both acrylics) for all mine. The vallejo air pigments are very fine and are the best I've used to date.

At the risk of teaching grandma to suck eggs the best way to paint metallics (IMO) is to mix the metallic with a 'normal' colour such as very dark green for bronze, black or dark grey for iron etc rather than use pure colour

Medieval metals were not as refined as the ones typically used today so would be much darker, even when polished up. If you start with black, say and add some silver to it for you base colour and then build up layers adding more silver as you go you will end up with something which looks more realistic. Final scratches can be added with pure silver and you can add a shadow line with black alongside to give a deeper gouge.

Here are a couple of mine to give you the idea (The bust is 1/12 and the figures both 54mm)

Paul

ah__DszfNyIWQ_FDvxNykz96w-xd4NtmUkHekYEzjyHq1ND2eMIpJRQLnlHFP3UsQ1nlRC8zbMBMYPP8CgZgozBKPaUq_l-nfhrkHsosVC0lcn7b56IjF7fC

Lovely painting on the figures and great tip. I was go. A trial this method out but good to know I was thinking along the right or similar lines. 
Thanks 

Paul 

• Thanks 1