Boeing 737-MAX8 Norwegian Air Shuttle LN-BKA (Zvezda 1/144)

Welcome everyone involved in modeling and just interested as well!

So.. this is my first "adult" airliner model. All previous attempts better to be called just "baby-toys".

It was finished in fall 2021.

Since my first practice in aircraft modelling I was in search of the way to get smooth gloss surface on my models. So finally I've discovered the way, that I use till today.

It's easy enough - for gloss white surface I use airbrush with Gunze (Mr. Hobby) H-1 paint plus thinner for acrylis paints mixed up to the consistency of milk.

Boeing 737-MAX is well-known and popular airliner. Most of us know about some difficulties with this type, that caused two air crash episodes. The main visible differences between MAX and NG are new big engines and new form of IPU exit hole. There are also some additional differences, but they're clear only for technical or flight staff. 

This built take a lot of time - more than one month - it's really long for me. The reason was that I've ruined first decal-sheet and had to wait till new order will be delivered. 

Zvezda kit is well-known and really neat and easy-to build, needs just a few putty (I use Tamiya Putty basic type) for connecting wings with fuselage. 

Unfortunately, my kit had manufacturing defect: right wing was twisted. I tried to solve the problem using hot water. It was successfully for about 50/50. It's not rule for Zvezda, but an exception. Also I know, I'm "lucky" guy 🤦‍♂️

First I've used ZIP-maket primer (really cheap but low-quality thing, later i refused from using it) 

Basic white, as I told upper, was Gunze H-1.

Red-nose and winglets is master-acryl #12

Wing edges are painted with Tamiya X-11 chrome silver

Undercarriage and wheels are MAKR #6 aluminium and Tamiya XF-85 rubber black.

Flaps were highlighted with soft pencil.

Gray color of wings mixed from Gunze H-1 plus a few dark gray Tamiya paint. 

Pledge future prior and after decals plus one additional layer for extra-protection. 

The livery I had choose once, while surfing model-store site. In my opinion it's one of the most interesting liveries (though some colleagues told it's odd and ridiculous). Very interesting idea with  portraits of different famous persons on the tail. And mr. Oscar Wilde - is one of my favourite writers. "The picture of Dorian Gray" I've read two times, and saw cinema as well. His sharp quotes are brilliant! 

So it wasn't a long choice of person for Norwegian livery.

Decals manufactured by Ascensio. Well and reach enough but too fragile. And another story that I've purchased two same sheets but white color of them was different. You can see it in word "Norwegian" for example. Technical inscriptions from default out-of box decal. 

Also there are some visible disadvantages I have made:

-Sloppy painted engines - it was the most difficult part of painting for me

- APU inlet is the same as 737-800 has. But really it's different.

-Headlights on the wings also looks sloppy because first painted with brush in aluminium, then black and clear detail from the kit was mounted finally.  

- Too shiny (caramel effect) on the surface (That time I didn't use any flat base and covered model with 100% Pledge Future)

Anyway, it was first warmy welcomed model on local thematiс resources. And now I'm glad to introduce it here. 

Feedback and criticism are welcome!

Respects, tMikha.

y4mo4cAkRG-YFi_2m345O-o4R6scqW4eYt-WGk5I

y4m5wCNN3qjD43aWB-yni4LAVaSF8_HvtRNhJ6VJ

y4ma9NzdVmWclRs0RLmNw8GiitT96Vm_u5b01fdB

y4mAtIkLJc8C7ybDKf-t2ya_Hbg1K3mxgt6UF3Os

y4mmJrBi3ixWeqvyyAeQFtW2MD0KlmcHBtW8hhXh

y4mzDUj4mWEapOVQnOLCi_bgd7dZs864NPsz0n6G

y4mkAKiHUA7mqljOV9ZlGzfrr7RXsFsRrN5JF5w3

y4mrHIK9NiAPAsf6G16CNeD_A5iXL2CsOpOtEjy3

y4m1toOwFW8MSfI04PUxw_R-wzB7vgbmUcAKoHBw

y4maGkBAfGcOgEatu5zxtEEmSsGo0CBPlhuwAXO0

y4mgxpRwY9uWXPj21rFj8dEyWHMVEw1wlAWpZ-4B

y4mrA9Rd3ZkO1QHbcMW1h_atFT4HcY5J_FZAjIQ-

y4m-e0XQUVFrHw4_y4_xWoCpktx3hYQv0N4ffzDY

Edited by tMikha
  • Like 13

On 25/05/2022 at 03:07, Lewis95 said:

Looks fantastic to me! 

Though you might want to have a word with the ramp crew.... they forgot to pin the cone on the tail ;) 

Ок)) I’ll tell them it’s not safety, and, sure, they’ll add two cones in front of the nose and behind tail as well😁

I know these passenger airlines are tough to build and paint.  

You did a fantastic job with this one, the tail decal looks convincing too. 

I actually like your glossy finish, I think this kind of finish works well with airliners!

• Thanks 1