IJN Mikasa 1:200 Merit

great well worn finish looking to get myself one of these did you use any after market items on her or is it OOB.  👍

Stay Safe

beefy

Oh yes, that's a stunning piece of work there. I love the coverings on the railings round the bridge. The paintwork and rigging are both flawless, so much to enjoy here.

21 hours ago, beefy66 said:

great well worn finish looking to get myself one of these did you use any after market items on her or is it OOB.  👍

Stay Safe

beefy

Yep. Full set of pontos model.

• Thanks 1

My first thoughts were that the weathering was too heavy, but the more I look at it the more I think it's about right. It's a beautiful looking ship and I reckon you've knocked this one out out of the park. Well done. 

• Like 1

Breathtaking work on one of the most beautiful (and most heroic) Battleships ever. Great rigging and incredible detail. If I´m not mistaken, this is exactly the shape she had at the battle of Tsushima (no rails yet on the funnels, but shields already gone from the ATB guns, and fighting tops also removed). I personally don´t like heavy weathering on ships, and I do not believe the IJN (or Togo himself) would have let their flagship detriorate to such an extent before the decisive battle (she had been in refit after the Battle of the Japanese Sea and would have looked brand-new at Tsushima). Yet from a purely artistic point of view, this is flawlessly executed and intensely beautiful both above and below the waterline. Bravo!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've just realised why the extreme weathering works so well in the overall composition, for me at least. It's the contrast between the model and the immaculate base! It's like the base is in my world and the ship is in some different universe (the past) where everything is different. If the base was in the same battered style it would all be too much and if the ship was immaculate it would be an excellent, but unremarkable museum model. The frame doesn't make the picture but the right one may complete it.

This is just my overheated brain rambling on, finding new ways to look at things, but tell me, did you do that deliberately, or was it a very happy accident?

• Like 2

On 7/2/2022 at 1:59 PM, Adm Lord De Univers said:

Comprehensively seconded.

Theres so much going on here that I don't know where to begin, but she is a real beaut, hopefully there are other big projects to follow?

David

Yep. USS Arizona in 1:200 is ongoing.

• Like 2

On 7/2/2022 at 3:02 PM, Bertie Psmith said:

I've just realised why the extreme weathering works so well in the overall composition, for me at least. It's the contrast between the model and the immaculate base! It's like the base is in my world and the ship is in some different universe (the past) where everything is different. If the base was in the same battered style it would all be too much and if the ship was immaculate it would be an excellent, but unremarkable museum model. The frame doesn't make the picture but the right one may complete it.

This is just my overheated brain rambling on, finding new ways to look at things, but tell me, did you do that deliberately, or was it a very happy accident?

I would say 50/50. I started weathering a model the rest went itself.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...