A Couple of 70's---Dual Camaro Build

Well guys…the Mustang build, as much as I hate to say it, had to come to an end. I’ve gotta say that I really enjoyed that build alot. I had been doing alot of pondering about what was next up on the bench and had it all narrowed down to three but couldn’t make my mind up on what I wanted to build out of the three. It was really a source of frustration in a small way because I just couldn’t make a decision. So…to end that I decided not to do ANY of those but to build something that I’ve been wanting to build for a very long time… A 1970 Camaro with a big block in it and a Z-28 side by side. These kits are said to be a very difficult ones to work with but we’ll see what happens. I’m up for the challenge…

These cars hold great interest to me because #1…The Baldwin offering has a big block in it and #2 The 1970 Z-28 was almost my first car…till dad stopped it. Smart guy because I probably would’ve been a grease stain on the highway at an early age.

Now on the bench:

spacer.png

Baldwin Camaros are just evil …sporting a 500+ hp 454 and covering the 1/4 mile in the 11 second range. I’ve already got the MCW Forest Green paint for this car.

The real thing:

spacer.png

The Z-28 is a beautiful car as well sporting a 350 small block. Not as nasty as the Baldwin Camaro but still packs a decent wallop. I’ll be going with Cranberry Red for this one and will be turning to MCW for the color. I'll also be shaking this one up a bit with the wheel and tire selection to something more to my liking.

spacer.png

Stay tuned gang…...I hope to do these two cars the justice they deserve.

• Like 12

On 5/24/2022 at 3:44 PM, JeroenS said:

No worries, I'm tuned in :popcorn:

On 5/24/2022 at 4:17 PM, CrazyCrank said:

I just bought popcorn :)

lol....thanks fellas!! 

Starting on the engine build for the Z-28. Here's the base engine completed. I'll be going with a MAD pre-wired distributor on this to cut down on time spent drilling the distributor and putting the wires in which I just ordered a set for both cars.

spacer.png

Base chassis all laid out ready for painting. Actually this aint a bad chassis having quite a number of parts. Per some of the reviews that I've read on these kits , I'll be attaching the front subframe assy at a later stage in the build for ease of assembly.

spacer.png

• Like 6

I've now got the wheels and tires selected for the Z-28 build. The rear tires will have those big bottom GOODYEAR scripts shaved off and some BF Goodrich T/A ones will take their place. This'll be the stance/ look that I'll be going for.

spacer.png

The rear part of the chassis is about 70% finished. In the picture below the black looks all the same but I did take the time to paint different parts of the chassis with different shades and hues of blacks to keep it from looking all bland. Still have to install the rear sway bar, shock mounts and shocks but we're getting there. I had to take a break in the progress and narrow the rear end and arch the springs just a tad to achieve the stance I was looking for in the rear. I merely cut off the axle ends, shaved each end of the axle back about 3/16" , drilled holes in the axle and in the axle mounting ends and pinned them back to the axle. I've already done a test run and the wheel/ tire assemblies are right where I want em now.  The exhaust has been dealt with as well and I'll be covering that in the next update. There just aint no way I could've left the tail pipes with the look they had OOB and in the locations that they ended up in. Just crazy ridiculous.

spacer.png

Edited by mustang1989
  • Like 9

Last of the muscle cars eh? Very nice indeed. Your dad was a wise man.

One of the young guys at work just bought an Alfa. His Insurance is one hundred pounds per month!

I looked up pre wired dizzy's. None in the UK. About 3 -4 Dollars in the USA, but the postage is crazy.

I'll pop back another time. Enjoy the build.

• Thanks 1

On 5/29/2022 at 1:05 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

Last of the muscle cars eh? Very nice indeed. Your dad was a wise man.

One of the young guys at work just bought an Alfa. His Insurance is one hundred pounds per month!

I looked up pre wired dizzy's. None in the UK. About 3 -4 Dollars in the USA, but the postage is crazy.

I'll pop back another time. Enjoy the build.

Yeah dad blocked that Camaro and then he blocked a 1969 Mustang purchase. The Mustang was really hot with a pretty strong 302 that, if memory serves me correctly, was a faster car than the Camaro I was going to buy. 

And yes.....insurance rates are crazy these days with a teenage driver.  I should be getting those distributors in the mail any day now....

Build progress.......

One of the shortcomings of this kit is in the exhaust area. First off, there's LOTS of clean up to do, more so on this kit than most any other of the models I've built in the past.

After that is the issue of the position of the tail pipe when it's all installed onto the vehicle and the fact that I'm not a big fan of square cut exhaust pipes exiting any give car.

OOB exhaust: (Note: the tires will be re-positioned in the wheel opening so I'm still working on that) This crazy right??

spacer.png

After tweaking the exhaust mounting points and bending the pipes to where I wanted them to exit the car (and adding my bevel cuts to the tail pipes and hollowing them out). That's MUCH better.

spacer.png

I still have some adjustments I'll make later on in regards to the final locations of each pipe but this is the preliminary result:

spacer.png

Edited by mustang1989
  • Like 4

36 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

Much better. The stock version looks silly. 

Thanks J. I just couldn't understand why they did that. Even the photo on the side of the box looks off and obviously the builder tweaked the one in the picture some but it still hangs low and has that nasty squared off exhaust pipe exit.

spacer.png

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Sorry for the absence as of late fellas. Just caught up in the 1:1 world with stuff to do. This Z/28 portion of this build is now in the Ready for Inspection section. 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235127189-1970-12-camaro-z28/

Edited by mustang1989
  • Like 1