Harrier GR3 colour question - help needed.

Johnson

Hi Folks,

According to the Airfix 1/72 GR3 colour / camouflage instructions the dielectric panel at the top of the fin was olive drab. Photos suggest that this was actually painted dark green, same as the rest of the fin. Is this generally correct?

On the same instructions, the bottoms of the front wingtip leg shrouds should be gold. Again, looking at photos they appear to be a brownish colour. Are they some sort of dielectric panel? Olive drab again?

Any help much appreciated!

This photo may help, panel at the top of the fin is dark green, very close to the camo colour (possibly is the camo colour but doesn't fade like the airframe colour), the shrouds around the bottom of the outriggers look to be a tan/buff colour.

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Hawker_Siddeley_Harrier_GR3,_UK_-_Air_Force_AN1578221.jpg

• Thanks 1

The dielectric panel on the fin tip is shown as Olive as a contrast to the main green. It was supplied in green fibreglass, so could look different, especially after a while. I usually use a different type of matt varnish to get a contrast!

The bit at the bottom of the outrigger was a dirty brass colour, but I've seen it painted too

• Thanks 1

There was a bit of variation on the fin dielectric panels.  Some were dark green, some were faded, some were painted...

pGl8Kvn.jpg

ZDnLxpO.jpg

817godj.jpg

u5u839E.jpg

Regards

Tim

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/26/2022 at 12:24 AM, Muzz said:

This photo may help, panel at the top of the fin is dark green, very close to the camo colour (possibly is the camo colour but doesn't fade like the airframe colour),

On 5/26/2022 at 12:50 AM, Dave Fleming said:

The dielectric panel on the fin tip is shown as Olive as a contrast to the main green. It was supplied in green fibreglass, so could look different, especially after a while. I usually use a different type of matt varnish to get a contrast!

10 hours ago, TimB said:

There was a bit of variation on the fin dielectric panels.  Some were dark green, some were faded, some were painted...

Thanks chaps, that's been really useful. It seems that there would have been quite a bit of variation on the large panels. The RWRs front and back seem to be more consistent; a buff colour which is presumably the unpainted fibreglass.

On 5/26/2022 at 12:24 AM, Muzz said:

the shrouds around the bottom of the outriggers look to be a tan/buff colour.

On 5/26/2022 at 12:50 AM, Dave Fleming said:

he bit at the bottom of the outrigger was a dirty brass colour, but I've seen it painted too

Again, quite a bit of variation depending on the age of the paint weathering etc. But (I always go down this rabbithole!) - what were they? Why did they age/weather differently? Some sort of brass alloy resistant to muck thrown up by the outrigger wheels?

5 hours ago, Johnson said:

Thanks chaps, that's been really useful. It seems that there would have been quite a bit of variation on the large panels. The RWRs front and back seem to be more consistent; a buff colour which is presumably the unpainted fibreglass.

Again, quite a bit of variation depending on the age of the paint weathering etc. But (I always go down this rabbithole!) - what were they? Why did they age/weather differently? Some sort of brass alloy resistant to muck thrown up by the outrigger wheels?

Check out the pictures here

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/70835-hawker-siddeley-harrier-single-seater/#comment-880293

Selwyn

• Thanks 1