Quick A400M Question

Mike N

Hi all,

Is there any difference between RAF and Luftwaffe A400Ms, other than national markings? No special (external) equipment fits that would warrant a new sprue? And is the stencilling the same?

Just wondering as the Revell 1/72 kit in Luftwaffe markings is available much cheaper than the pending RAF release is (based on RRP)!

Mike

7 hours ago, MiG-Mech said:

It seems just new decal sheet.

https://www.scalemates.com/de/kits/revell-03822-airbus-a400m-atlas-raf--1383673

Revell is often going the easy way.

I think the OP is referring to the actual aircraft rather than the kit... I believe that the RAF A400's do have some defensive aids, that are not shown on the kit. However, the kit it-self is more representative of the development aircraft as-opposed to in-service aircraft with either the Luftwaffe or the RAF so there are a number of variations between what you would see on an in-service A400 compared to what is represented by the Revell kit. I would not be able to tell you those differences off hand, I am just aware that there are differences! 

The second part of your question in regards to markings - just having a quick image search throws up a few images of RAF & Luftwaffe A400M and from a cursory glance, there does seem to be a few differences in stencilling between the aircraft (variations in service requirements and national requirements etc) but a lot do seem very similar. 

Edited by treker_ed
  • Like 1

Thanks both for the responses. 

17 hours ago, MiG-Mech said:

It seems just new decal sheet.

https://www.scalemates.com/de/kits/revell-03822-airbus-a400m-atlas-raf--1383673

Revell is often going the easy way.

That is what I expected would happen... :( 

10 hours ago, treker_ed said:

I think the OP is referring to the actual aircraft rather than the kit... I believe that the RAF A400's do have some defensive aids, that are not shown on the kit. However, the kit it-self is more representative of the development aircraft as-opposed to in-service aircraft with either the Luftwaffe or the RAF so there are a number of variations between what you would see on an in-service A400 compared to what is represented by the Revell kit. I would not be able to tell you those differences off hand, I am just aware that there are differences! 

The second part of your question in regards to markings - just having a quick image search throws up a few images of RAF & Luftwaffe A400M and from a cursory glance, there does seem to be a few differences in stencilling between the aircraft (variations in service requirements and national requirements etc) but a lot do seem very similar. 

You're right, I was meaning the actual aircraft - I should have clarified that. It doesn't surprise me that there are some differences, the defensive aids being my primary thought.

My cursory glance suggested that most of the stencils are the same, but thanks for letting me know there are some differences!

Think I'll wait for the kit to be released and see what's actually different in the box before making a decision.

Cheers,

Mike 

• 5 weeks later...

Hi @Mike N

Sorry I can‘t help you with your specific question, but I have some photos of a RAF A400M in a relatively high resolution, taken during the 2019 Dubai Airshow By interest I can post them here, or I can forward you the photos in full resolution if send me a PM with your email address. 

If it helps, I can also take a photo of the decal sheets for the Luftwaffe A400M, as I have this kit in my stash? 

Cheers

Johnny b 

I'm doing to try scratch build the RAF A400 DASS fit for my 1/144 version i'm making. There is quite alot of MAWS sensors, 3x LAIRCM turrets (1x each side and 1x above the tail ramp) and alot of flare/chaff launchers to add,12 individual on each side! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello.

I think some of the European A/C have the ability to carry refuelling pods under the wings. I could very well be wrong….. but I think some European A/C possibly have the ability to refuel stuffed on the ground via  the L/H main u/c sponson.          😉

18 hours ago, amos brierley said:

Hello.

I think some of the European A/C have the ability to carry refuelling pods under the wings. I could very well be wrong….. but I think some European A/C possibly have the ability to refuel stuffed on the ground via  the L/H main u/c sponson.          😉

European, you mean non British? :D

Several airforces definitely have air to air refuling capability  like of France, Germany, Spain.

the RAF at least had a contract clause in the Voyager leasing contract that excluded any additional air refueling capability AFAIK  :wall:

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2022 at 5:53 PM, exdraken said:

RAF at least had a contract clause in the Voyager leasing contract that excluded any additional air refueling capability AFAIK  :wall:

That is what they call in procurement language "Build for, not with".

:shrug:

• Sad 1