Chevrolet CMP breakdown lorry

Hello fellow modellers.

I have a plan, to build a breakdown lorry for a 1960s garage; in a rural or edge of town diorama that I am constructing.  Having done some searches, as to what kits could match a British breakdown lorry for this setting, this ex-WD Chevrolet CMP vehicle came up,

spacer.png

although, this version might be better suited.

spacer.png

source photo:  @richellis

I have managed to source this kit, which is by IBG Models, as it looks fairly close to the vehicle I wish to build.  Obviously, there would be a fair amount of conversion work to be done here and, as I know next to nothing about vehicles, this is going to be quite a challenge.

spacer.png

Now, for a little apology.   I was so keen to get started on this that I forgot to take any startup photos. :banghead:  By the time I had realised, the chassis was fairly advanced in construction. 

spacer.png

I hope to provide better updates in future!

I have a query, as I could do with some help with the crane unit for the back of the vehicle.  Does anyone have the Emhar 1:24 scale Bedford recovery truck kit?   I could do with getting measurements of the crane that comes with the kit, in order that I could scratchbuild one to 1:35 scale for this build.  Can anyone help please?

cheers,

Mike

• Like 3

I hadn't seen this one, this should be interesting, I'm in.

I've built a small scale version of this, another type, these IBG kits are very nice to build.

• Like 1

Hello all,

I have completed the chassis and dabbed a few bits of paint here and there.

spacer.png

I would now like to add the cables which go from the spark plugs to the rotor head distributor.  I have drilled out the holes in the engine block but I don't know where the other end would be.  On my old car, there was a vertical domed thing and the cables attached to that; is there something similar for the CMP?

cheers,
Mike

• Like 2

That's it!  28 secs into the video shows the item I'm looking for.  I can make a little dome for the cables now.

Thank you,

Mike

• Like 1

I have been able to construct a distributor cap and plug leads, thanks to information from @JeroenS, and fitted them to the engine block.

This will probably be the only view as the cab will cover it all shortly!

spacer.png

cheers,

Mike

• Like 5

I worked on the cab last week

spacer.png

next element is the cargo base for the breakdown unit.

spacer.png

That seems to fit OK.

spacer.png

the sides get a spray of matching yellow. 

Everything will need toning down, decals to be added and weathering etc.  I haven't been able to find any images of a CMP in a Birmingham/Warwickshire setting, so the finish will be a WHIFF.

spacer.png

Whilst I am sorting out how to do the finishing on the vehicle, I decided to make a start on the crane unit.

spacer.png

That's it for now, I hope to show more progress later.

cheers,

Mike

• Like 7