Wingsy Models A5M2b Claude 1:48

I got on a bit of a Japanese kick after starting Eduard's awesome new Zero, so along with the Vengeance I began this Ukrainian made kit, just as things kicked off in their country, and have been making steady progress, despite finding out I'd broken the windscreen part in two somewhere along the line.  In fact, I only discovered the two halves on my workshop floor because I was hunting something else, and though "that looks familiar", putting the two parts on my bench for later.

The kit is really nicely done, and apart from a very weak tail-wheel part, it went together very quickly, and needed very little in the way of filler to obliterate the lines.  The decals were a bit brittle however, so I ended up doing the fuselage band by hand after it fell apart in use.  This was a first time using MRP metallics for me too, and they're really good, covering well and looking like metal, although they're not quite as tough as Alclad, although all my stocks of Alclad have "gone off", and need straining before use.  Happy with the MRP stuff, so they're my new metallics of choice :yes: The rest of the paint was Gunze Aqueous Mr Color, and their red matched the decals perfectly, so touch ups were a doddle.

This is my first completed model for the year, after a dismal tally of nothing last year, and I'm hoping to get the rest of my current projects, then maybe pick off a few of the stalled ones, but don't hold me to that ;)

onto the pictures.  Note to self, next time you post a finished model, dust the damn thing first! :blush:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Mistakes were made of course, but recovering from them is part of the process, so I don't mind that I broke the windscreen, knocked off the tail-wheel and broke the supports for the drop-tank several times :blush: It's finishing that matters ;)

Thanks for watching, I've been Mike Williams, and you haven't :D

• Like 57
  • Thanks 2

Hi Mike !! what a nice build !! reading your post make me smile , compared to me we are very close in our completion, rate ...😁

thus, you should increase this rate, as your builds are very nice .. not putting any strain on you of course !!

thanks for sharing  !! 

take care , 

regards !

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, François Escudé said:

reading your post make me smile , compared to me we are very close in our completion, rate ...😁

It's embarrassing, isn't it? :blush:

Since I last posted, I've glued the broken tail wheel back on with a piece of 0.5mm steel tube as pin, so it shouldn't break off again now.  famous last words.  I'd also forgotten to glue on the tail light, so I corrected that faux pas while I had it on the jig, and now it's truly finished :yes:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Alan P said:

Beautifully done, Mike 👍 You've also done a good sales job for the MRP metallics, I can see a few of those in my future!

Taa laa :) I do like the MRP metals.  I might take a punt on some of their other shades if the opportunity arises.  Maybe some of the new Japanese colours seeing as I'm on a bit of run with them at the moomin. :hmmm:

Very nice indeed Mike. I echo others in agreeing that the metal finish is very good, are MRP paints acrylic or enamel? Ive recently bought some japanese aircraft to do but hav'nt taken the plunge yet but after seeing this I can feel a Fujimi Pete coming on!

Pete

• Thanks 1