Eduard 1/72 Nieuport 17

This was a lovely kit to build, although challenging due to the petite delicacy of the parts and the surprisingly mis-registered decals. I had to build the dragon version, even though that meant touching up the off-centred white edges. Pictures:

E1-BFFF17-9-B10-4-A10-B9-EE-6-A04-AF8-E8

0-E6962-A5-03-FA-4-E76-A3-C8-82-C38-FE6-

5829-A9-CC-2056-4880-AEC6-AE9-EB2085695.

834-C3-FC4-92-C2-4-EA9-8-EE6-C92092-C98-

DA394223-D675-4571-8183-3-F0-C89-D54326.

D89-BE8-DD-1-EF9-47-D1-BE2-D-BA9-F4-EA4-

310-E5399-4037-474-E-8-DE7-16-FC5669-F1-

WIP is in the last two or three pages of this thread, the rest being taken up with SPADs.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 44

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

arguably one of the best kits in 1/72 Eduard has ever made

Thanks Edward. I can believe your assertion - everything fitted like a dream and the only defect in the kit that I could see was a tiny sink mark in the fairing of the front starboard cabane strut (which I managed to forget to fill). The decals had problems too but, hey, stickers.

BUT, while I appreciate how superb the kit is, the process of building it fills me with panic and terror; the parts are so small and so perfectly formed that I worry I’m going to mess them up (because I will). So I will remember this build because:

* the windscreen is about 1/2mm off-centre

* the port aileron push rod isn’t fully engaged with the hole in the fuselage

* the gun cocking lever was unceremoniously bent out of the way of the windshield

* I should have drillled and cleaned up the control wire holes before painting

* and so on…

Whereas I will remember my rubbish SPAD kit builds for:

* scratch building cockpits that look nearly half as good as the Eduard one

* refining the struts so they didn’t look like tree trunks running into deep slots in the wing

* adding details like aileron cranks and pushrods and steps

* and so on…

So on the one hand I am downcast because it’s not as good as it should be, on the other hand I’m elated because it doesn’t look like a pig’s ear! So: it’s either therapy or a diet of cheap crappy kits for me.

Thanks also @AliGauld, @Andy Dyck, @ForestFan and @Dave Slowbuild - the kit did most of the work, all I did was try not to ruin it too much! At 11.5cm or 4.5 inches span it is unbelievably small.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It’s a quandary I share - I’m attracted to a kit that is “beautifully formed” but get more pleasure from improving something that’s a simpler rendition out of the box.

I guess the pleasure should win out, but I still get pulled both ways

• Like 1

13 hours ago, billn53 said:

how hard it is to see into the cockpit

I omitted most of the PE apart from the seat and the dials at the very rim (the plastic detailing is pretty good anyhow). I suspected I'd never see the foot pedals again!

13 hours ago, europapete said:

Did you call for a new decal sheet?

I didn't know how bad it was going to be until I'd put the decals on, and even then, I was wondering if I could just live with it! In the end a bit of careful touching up did the trick for me.

3 hours ago, Octávio Mântua said:

what paint did you use for the silver finish?

Vallejo 71.062 Model Air Aluminium, brushed on with a wide brush. It's very forgiving and even the touch ups for the transfers and construction whoopsies blended in well.

2 hours ago, russ c said:

Really nice little biplane there

Thanks Russ. On reflection, I am very pleased with the result, and I feel rather less grumpy about it than my previous post would suggest. So I have bought another N17 dual combo kit. I have plenty of varied colour schemes to choose from and I need to raise my game so I can deal with nice kits without feeling bad about them!

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

Hello Adrian,

Thanks for the paint information. 

By the way, you mention you had an issue with the decals. I just got my box out the stash and they seem ok. Did you already know the decals had problems or did you only realize after you applied them?

Best regards,

Octávio

2 hours ago, Octávio Mântua said:

did you only realize after you applied them?

The dragon had a definite outline that only really showed up after I got the decal on. If you look at this post you can see before and after touching up. 

2 hours ago, Pete Robin said:

My eyesight just wouldn't cope.

I don’t think my eyesight is that bad but I bought a Chinese optivisor with built in LED light and a selection of lenses off EBay for around a tenner at the start of lockdown and it’s been a must-have for rigging and figure painting. Highly recommended!

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1