Stug III Ausf B-Tamiya 1/35

Finished......for now. Im going to add more environmental weathering, leaves soil etc when i get the diorama base sorted out.

Part two up now. 

nD3h12a.jpeg

ne9xnrV.jpeg

x4QB3JN.jpeg

PP9mAGZ.jpeg

mcBQqZs.jpeg

EbMyDhG.jpeg

Edited by Red Five
  • Like 41
  • Thanks 3

18 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

That's a fantastic Stug. Great finish. Top work all round.👏

Seconded! Definitely, everything looks great, especially liked the cable and tarp.

Vytautas

• Thanks 1

A fantastic looking Stug, I also love the painting and mud effects, the mud on the wheels and lower hull sides is just so good, I also love that box of stick grenades and rope on the engine deck, that's a very nice touch  :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

Excellent finish.  Nicely done.  I love the early short-barrel StuGs.  Got a Bronco DAK Ausf D to do somewhere.  But at the risk of nit-picking, and perhaps more for others for the future, I would point out a couple of things.

First, the wiring to the horn, sidelights and Notek light on the fenders is missing.  This ran to the lights in metal tubing from the inside edge of the fenders where it bent down to entry points at the hull edges.

Second, worn edges etc on tanks will not be bright metal.  Almost every part of a tank is make of metal of a much darker colour.  A dark brown is more realistic.

Third, track links did not rust as the spare links are represented here.  As they contained corrosion-inhibiting Manganese they didn't rust in the conventional sense at all.  They did oxidise but relatively slowly.  Initial oxide is a milk chocolate or milky coffee colour, darkening over time (years) to more of a dark chocolate or strong coffee colour.  Look at these links (below) on the StuG III recently returned to Bovington from IWM Duxford.  Apart from being about 78 years old this vehicle was parked outside at IWM for maybe 20 years before coming back to Bovington.  It's taken them nearly 80 years to get like this, with half that or more out in the open. 

The wearing surfaces would remain bright for some years.  Pz III and IV based vehicles actually wore their guide horns more at the bottom than the top where they ran against the metal rings on the inside faces of the road wheels (see the photo) and the idler.  The top third of the horn to the tip would generally be unworn as it didn't contact anything.  Most companies get the inside faces of the roadwheels wrong by representing the tyres without any taper to the outer edge and missing the inner rings.

spacer.png

6 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

Excellent finish.  Nicely done.  I love the early short-barrel StuGs.  Got a Bronco DAK Ausf D to do somewhere.  But at the risk of nit-picking, and perhaps more for others for the future, I would point out a couple of things.

First, the wiring to the horn, sidelights and Notek light on the fenders is missing.  This ran to the lights in metal tubing from the inside edge of the fenders where it bent down to entry points at the hull edges.

Second, worn edges etc on tanks will not be bright metal.  Almost every part of a tank is make of metal of a much darker colour.  A dark brown is more realistic.

Third, track links did not rust as the spare links are represented here.  As they contained corrosion-inhibiting Manganese they didn't rust in the conventional sense at all.  They did oxidise but relatively slowly.  Initial oxide is a milk chocolate or milky coffee colour, darkening over time (years) to more of a dark chocolate or strong coffee colour.  Look at these links (below) on the StuG III recently returned to Bovington from IWM Duxford.  Apart from being about 78 years old this vehicle was parked outside at IWM for maybe 20 years before coming back to Bovington.  It's taken them nearly 80 years to get like this, with half that or more out in the open. 

The wearing surfaces would remain bright for some years.  Pz III and IV based vehicles actually wore their guide horns more at the bottom than the top where they ran against the metal rings on the inside faces of the road wheels (see the photo) and the idler.  The top third of the horn to the tip would generally be unworn as it didn't contact anything.  Most companies get the inside faces of the roadwheels wrong by representing the tyres without any taper to the outer edge and missing the inner rings.

spacer.png

Yeah, i build to enjoy the painting process and not got into crazy detail over historical accuracy as frankly builds would look incredibly boring to me if i did. I, like alot of people apply artistic license. 

Theres one "shiny" edge tbh, everything else is just light hitting the surface. 

Also its painted and done now so additions like cables and stuff? The horse has already bolted on that front. Plus i built it out the box and only added a few extras. Theres ALOT more i could have done to get it more accurate but i had neither the time nor the inclination to do so. 

Edited by Red Five
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Jnunu said:

Hi Red Five. I like you’re model but why do you say it’s not a tank? It’s a tank? It’s got a gun & tracs? 

Because its not a tank, its an assault gun. 😉😂

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Red Five said:

Because its not a tank, its an assault gun. 😉😂

And well done for saying so. Watching some of the footage from Ukraine, TV journalists categorise anything with tracks and a gun as a tank, even though the majority of what's been televised are self propelled howitzers.

Nice work on the Stug. Pz.lll family is one of the few WW2 German armour that appeals to me.

John.

• Thanks 1

On 25/05/2022 at 19:52, Jnunu said:

Hi Red Five. I like you’re model but why do you say it’s not a tank? It’s a tank? It’s got a gun & tracs? 

O dear..... you just entered a rabbithole 🤣🤣🤣🤣

The modern defenition of a tank: a vehicle that runs on tracks and has a main gun caliber of at least 75mm or bigger fitted on a 360 degrees turnable turret capable of giving direct fire. 

Anything bigger is called artillery.... anything smaller is called infantery toy. Both are also know to tankers as "targets" 

Greets from a former tank gunner 👍😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That's a stunning piece of work, the more I look at it the more I see, and the more awe inspiring it gets. Bravo 🫡

• Thanks 1