2 x Part Built / Incomplete PK-127 to make a “Quad Otter”

Definitely looking like a proper aircraft now - have you thought ahead to what colour scheme you are going to finish it in Rob ?

2 hours ago, Rob S said:

maybe that urge to make flying noises and swoops

Isn't that one of the normal tests to check whether your build is on its way to being completed ?

2 minutes ago, Richard E said:

Definitely looking like a proper aircraft now - have you thought ahead to what colour scheme you are going to finish it in Rob ?

Truth be told I always had this in mind to be a tribute to my best mate the late great  @Graeme H  and to be given to his Son Matt who in his part of Graeme's Eulogy dubbed Graeme's looking after the Kids travel as "Pallarenda Air".  Pallarenda being the seaside Suburb of Townsville where Graeme and Dorothy made their Home.  Graeme was always "annoyed" that I could never build anything "simply" and always had to muck around and never finish anything - which to a large extent is true (but I have lots of excuses other than "the Dog ate my near finished Model!") but I do contest the charge Your Honour!  

We'll see which way the Verdict swings depending on whether this gets finished I suppose as we are always judged on our latest efforts according to the whims of today's version of Yuppies (well mainly the HR Fascists of today actually - to paraphrase what the U-Boat Captain in that Episode of "Dad's Army" said "{Their} Name is going in the Book too!"). 

• Like 2

I think the "Pallarenda Air" idea sounds perfect, and although you will prove Graeme right with the build definitely not being simple,  when you finish it, you get to have the last laugh.

Now you will need a logo for the tailfin of this aircraft,  can I suggest an ice cream cone  as its by the seaside 🍦 🍦

Cheers Pat 

On 5/29/2022 at 10:47 PM, PattheCat said:

Never had looking at a kit bashing make me sweat all over!

Your work is outstanding.

Thanks "Pat". 

It's pretty rough though.  The hard part will be to smooth out all the rough bits to try and make it a bit presentable. 

• Like 1

On 5/29/2022 at 8:22 PM, JOCKNEY said:

,  when you finish it, you get to have the last laugh.

I'm afraid not Pat - I still hear Him laughing and taking the Pi$$ out of Me all the time! 

• Like 1

Very slow  progress fixing up some of the roughness, figuring out how to set up the undercarriage, shaping the “T” Tail and Elevator, and shaping the wing box to the Fuselage and Wings so no photos to show. 

In between doing these things I found this

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/89375-matchbox-172-completely-imaginary-dhc-6-800-stretched-twin-otter/

Tempted to join and reply to the “Quad Otter” Post by saying

“That’s not a Quad Otter - THIS is a QUAD OTTER!”.  

• Haha 1

Whoo hoo!  Two more weeks!  Two more weeks!  Ten more weeks!  Ten more Freeks!  Ten poor Freeks!  What were we talking about? 

Ah thank-you Lord Matrix!  Lord of all He Surveys. 

I'd like to think I'd have a shot a finishing this in two weeks but I have to go away next week down to the big smoke for some more Tests so doubt that I will be able to. 

As a small update just trying to smooth out some of the roughness and also repair the damage done by the bloody Race/Duct Tape and it's adhesive on some of the surfaces.  I should have thought that given the concentration of Filler over Styrene there might have been a reaction should another strong adhesive be introduced but then again (as usual in all disasters) I just didn't think. 

Also just dug out a Hobbycraft Dash 8 and my was I surprised how big this thing is in comparison to the Dash 8-100!  It's remarkably close in size.  Makes me want to put this in a line up of otter, Twin Otter, Quad Otter, Dash 7, Dash 8, Caribou, and Buffalo but that's a hell of a lot of modelling and at my rate of production maybe completed by the time I'm 342.  Or then again maybe started but never completed ...

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 4

Sticking to that old adage of "Photos or it never happened ..."

Fuselage :  

52123264116_87dd4ff167_c.jpg   

52123767505_80be45d914_c.jpg 

Wings :

52123264436_17f74086f7_c.jpg 

52123767850_99de197452_c.jpg 

Very surprising.  Especially the size of the Dash 8 Fin.  And here I was I thought the Quotter Fin may have been a bit overdone.  Probably not based on this comparison but then again let's just put it down to the power of the two Turboprops on the Dash 8 compared with the power of the four on the Quotter. 

Edited by Rob S
Fin size.
  • Like 1

Quotter 

PT6A-27 460 kW / 620shp = 920 kW / 1240 shp per side. 

Dash8-100 

2 × PW123C/D 1,800 hp (1,300 kW) = 1300 kW / 1800 hp per side.  

Yep that would do it.  Proportionally (70.8 percent - just remember the Rudder is not on the Quotter but is on the Dash 8-100) I think I got it right and well it was sized off the Concept Drawings too so double check there. 

Edited by Rob S

Just noticed two of the windows on the Starboard Side near the Trailing Edge are out of alignment.  Oh well too late to fix that up now without a major operation so I didn't notice it did you?  What are you talking about?  Huh?  Look over there - a Puppy! 

51878903681_62edbb4ce7_c.jpg 

• Haha 2