Admiralty Drifter with Barrage Balloon - Scratchbuilt 1/350

Absolutely fantastic work Rob.

I so admire and have much respect for your ability to produce these wonderful Maritime masterpieces. Everything about this one is awesome.

Terry

• Thanks 1

On 5/24/2022 at 1:56 AM, JackG said:

I really like that, awesome stuff.  👍

Checked out the wip you linked, but do you have a more detailed step by step for your water base construction?

regards,

Jack

Hi Jack

1)  Base is medium density (cream coloured) Styrofoam from 4D Modelshop

2)  It's cut to size with a "hot" knife

3)  Edges are sanded and then "sealed" with a coat of Liquitex "Gloss Medium and Varnish"

4)  Using a template of the waterline plan-form - a cutout is drawn,  cut and dugout 

5)  The The top surface is indented with a small padlock clasp to replicate wavelets

6)  Small imperfections are filled with the Gloss medium on a "touch-up" basis

7)  It's sprayed with Mig Ammo "One-shot" primer

8/  It's sprayed very loosely with Vallejo Model Air 71.044 Light Grey Green

9)  It's coated with up to x5 coats of Liquitex "High Gloss Varnish"

10) Name plate from Nameitplates.co.uk

I'm lazy - I aim for simplicity.  On some of my other seascapes I use The Gloss medium and varnish to create ripples.  The above method is the easiest and will produce a sea state of small wavelets consistent with F1 to low 3.  I prefer a "low-drama" seascape as it's really only there to highlight the model and so many Dramatic "big-wave" seascapes end up detracting IMHO.  Search for Chris Flodberg or check out the water seascape feature on "modelwarships" to see  his seascapes - he is the Master and all of my work is derived from his methods.

On 5/24/2022 at 5:31 AM, thekz said:

Original idea and good execution:yes:
Is the sea near your shores always so gloomy?

We land rats like to imagine it brighter :inlove:

Ki KZ - Yes!  for a large proportion of the time the sea is gloomy!  Certainly here in Britain.  I sail off-shore and surf and kayak, and spend time pondering the correct representation of water.  The sea really only reflects the colour of the sky and I've only really seen "bright blue" seas in shallow waters in the tropics such as the Caribbean.  Around Britain grey and grey green are the norm in my experience.  I use a different Sea colour in every one of my builds.  I wish it was brighter :winkgrin:

Rob

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A great model beautifully presented.

Congratulations. 👍

BTW I love the colour of the sea, if for no other reason than - given the subject- it’s probably an estuary.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...